AGS Awards 2012 (Winners!)

Started by , Thu 03/01/2013 02:36:43

Previous topic - Next topic

bicilotti

A            
G Awards 2012
S            

Welcome to the AGS Awards, the annual event where the you, the player, choose the best games of the year!

Party is over, read the log of the ceremony!

Step # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2012. Don't know where to start? Check the for your consideration thread or the old big database!
Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category!
Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!
Step # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners!

And please, scream, rock and comment in this thread!

LTGiants2000

I would LOVE to see Captain Disaster and his trusty companion Zero-Bit present an award at the ceremonies this year! :)

Ponch

Kconan forgot to mention that Bolt Action is the only AGS freeware game that comes in a box!

This game is a clear winner for "Best AGS Game In A Box"  :=

Andail

I have to say I'm glad I'm not competing this year :) lots of amazing titles!

CaptainD

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Sun 06/01/2013 19:23:37
I would LOVE to see Captain Disaster and his trusty companion Zero-Bit present an award at the ceremonies this year! :)

That would be cool, but I'm pretty sure he would make a mess of things somehow!  :P  Probably endangering the whole galaxy in the process...  (roll)

Knoodn

Quote from: Andail on Tue 08/01/2013 09:22:30
I have to say I'm glad I'm not competing this year :) lots of amazing titles!
Too true! I'm competing and even I would vote for so many other games then mine. ;)

By the way what's about a banner on the top of the forums with the links to the threads - like the last years?

bicilotti

Quote from: Knoodn on Wed 09/01/2013 18:36:36
By the way what's about a banner on the top of the forums with the links to the threads - like the last years?

Good idea. Once the nomination page is sorted out, I will ask AGA to do his magic!

Iliya

Is it obligatory to add the game in the database in order to be nominated?

cat

Yes. You can add your games for next year's awards.

bicilotti

Quote from: Iliya on Thu 10/01/2013 14:42:37
Is it obligatory to add the game in the database in order to be nominated?

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/01/2013 14:45:15
Yes. You can add your games for next year's awards.

Indeed, cat is correct.

cat

I wanted to start playing the games from the "For your consideration" thread only to realize that many of the games there aren't even eligible for the awards because they are either not in the database or or weren't added last year. This is pretty annoying. Could the authors (or a moderator) please remove those games from the thread?

AGA

Every single game posted is eligible, it's just some people failed to post games page links.  I've gone through and edited those in now.

Two of the games were released as patch of the Summerbatch or Bake Sale, both of which were released last year.

cat

Well, there is no DB entry for
Barn Runner: The Rich Dame Who Cut The Cheese (Bake Sale)
Patchwork (the DB entry was only added this year, so it should be for next year's awards)
Cosmos Quest IV: The Ayatolian March

I thought a game is only eligible if there is a games page entry made in the previous year, no matter when it was created.
I just want to play the games for the awards now, so I can nominate. The other games I can play afterwards.

AGA

Quote from: cat on Sun 20/01/2013 13:27:21
Well, there is no DB entry for
Barn Runner: The Rich Dame Who Cut The Cheese (Bake Sale)
Patchwork (the DB entry was only added this year, so it should be for next year's awards)
Cosmos Quest IV: The Ayatolian March

I thought a game is only eligible if there is a games page entry made in the previous year, no matter when it was created.
I just want to play the games for the awards now, so I can nominate. The other games I can play afterwards.

• Patchwork's release date has since been corrected.
  • I'm speaking to Ponch about the Barn Runner one.
  • Cosmos Quest IV I completely missed somehow.  Iliya, if you could add a games page entry for Cosmos Quest IV, I'll set the release date as 18 May 2012, as that's what your site shows the release date as being.

I don't think it's fair for people's games not to be eligible if they failed to add a games page entry (although I don't really understand why people wouldn't add one automatically...)  A games page entry is required for the voting system to work, but if someone adds an entry now, and can prove to me the game was originally released in 2012, I'm happy to change the release date in the games database to the correct one.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yeah, it shouldn't really matter whether or not they entered it in the database, though it does make things more complicated if they actually want to participate in the awards.  Perhaps the voting system should be separated from the database and just use a form where the games can be entered instead (wasn't that how it used to be anyway?).  Specific issues I see occuring are people who have nominated an authors game when that author is not around to add it to the database, though I suppose in that circumstance a rule that only people working on the game in question can nominate it would solve that problem.

AGA

The trouble is you cannot rely on people actually typing the name of a game correctly, so unless you have an automated script drawing information from a reliable source (like the games page), you require a human to spend hours going through and processing the results.  Which I'm not willing to do when this method would work perfectly if people weren't silly enough to not put their game in the database.  I think DGMacphee and SSH used to have to do this back in the early days of the Awards, but it's really unnecessary.

It's not like there's any good reason not to add your game to the games page; if anything, having your game listed and rated on the official AGS site is going to bring more attention to it.

If it does come down to needing to add a game when the author isn't around, I can do it and fiddle the data to make it seem as though the original author added it (and retains access rights to it).

bicilotti

Quote from: AGA on Sun 20/01/2013 14:40:05
I don't think it's fair for people's games not to be eligible if they failed to add a games page entry (although I don't really understand why people wouldn't add one automatically...)  A games page entry is required for the voting system to work, but if someone adds an entry now, and can prove to me the game was originally released in 2012, I'm happy to change the release date in the games database to the correct one.

I have been pretty strict on DB entries (as Broomie can witness), because I feel it's only fair to all of the contestant (and if you didn't care to add your game to the DB, I suspect little you care about the Awards anyway).

Every year there is a 'remind to add your game to the db if you want it to be eligible for the awards' thread, too.

I am willing to make an exception to a bake sale's games (or other bundled stuff), as it's cumbersome to add a db entry for  game you can't even download a demo of, but Patchwork and Cosmos Quest will have to wait until next year.

edit: Patchwork was in a bundle, too

Iliya

You should rename the awards to AGS Games Database Awards 2012. My game is created with AGS and it's released in 2012.

bicilotti

Quote from: Iliya on Sun 20/01/2013 19:07:06
You should rename the awards to AGS Games Database Awards 2012. My game is created with AGS and it's released in 2012.

I dislike quoting myself, but

Quote from: bicilotti on Thu 01/11/2012 20:35:39
Don't you forget!

Hello gamemakers!

I am writing to remind you all that, if you want to be eligible for the AGS Awards 2012 you must add your game to the big database before the year is over!

So, if you haven't already, add your game now!

It's a rule, and as all rules it can be changed; but for this year, I think it would be fair to apply it as I have done it in previous years.

Ilyich

Quote from: bicilotti on Sun 20/01/2013 18:17:50
I am willing to make an exception to a bake sale's games (or other bundled stuff), as it's cumbersome to add a db entry for  game you can't even download a demo of, but Patchwork and Cosmos Quest will have to wait until next year.

Patchwork is bundled stuff (Summerbatch) that you couldn't have even downloaded a demo of, though, no? I made it freeware and added it to the DB as soon as I could without breaching my contractual obligations. :)

I am fine with whatever you guys decide, though, just pointing out that me adding the game too late was not in fact the result of blatant disrespect for AGS Awards' rules and it's organizers, and that I love each and every one of you. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk