Gamma and GUI'S

Started by Slasher, Mon 21/01/2013 13:33:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

I've set my games gamma setting in repeatedly_execute_always so as to keep the atmosphere of the game darkish:

Code: AGS
if (System.SupportsGammaControl){
  System.Gamma = 26;

Is there a way to stop gamma affecting GUI's?

Or should I just gamma image and warn about leaving gamma for best game play?

cheers for all help.

Crimson Wizard

First of all, Gamma setting is not supposed to be used like that. Every user has his own monitor, that can have certain properties. If you see your game dark or bright enough on your monitor - this does not mean other people will see it similar way. Not only that, but there are people with eyes problems, for whom it may be difficult to see image if its too dark.
That's exactly the reason why there's gamma setting - everyone should set what fits for his/her system.

You probably should look into Region.LightLevel and Region.Tint instead. If that's not appropriate, I guess it is possible to use a gray half-transparent, non-clickable GUI, or Overlay, covering the room.

Slasher

QuoteI guess I should just gamma the background image and warn players about leaving gamma setting as it is for best game play.

Maybe I should use above option?

cheers

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Mon 21/01/2013 13:58:16
QuoteI guess I should just gamma the background image and warn players about leaving gamma setting as it is for best game play.

Maybe I should use above option?

cheers
Hmm, this may make sense. I know a number of modern games that make this suggestion at startup. Like "correct gamma until some image is barely seen".

Khris

Why don't you darken the actual game graphics...?

Also, even if this were an acceptable method, why would you set the gamma value in repeatedly_execute_always? Setting it once is enough.

Slasher

I went with adjusting the image gamma instead and will include a gamma warning at startup as you mentioned Crimson.

My mistake Khris, meant to say rep exec  :embarrassed:

cheers

Khris

Doesn't really matter, you're still setting the gamma value 40 times per second as opposed to once.
There's no reason to do that.

Crimson Wizard

Yes, unless you provide user means to change gamma (like in options) he wont be able to do that manually, so you would need to set it only once at game_start().

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk