Baldy's Adventure

Started by Hernald, Sun 20/01/2013 01:10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Hernald

Baldy's day doesn't start well; his dog has gone missing and he has shut himself out of his house.
In sorting out these problems he confronts the unsavory Mr. Grimes and deals with a dragon and a Dark God!

This is my first game and I welcome any comments.
Many thanks to Renodox and CaptainD for their help in chasing down grammar disasters and bugs.

Go here to download Baldy's Adventure!

The Suitor

Looks really great! I'm downloading it now :-D

CaptainD

It was a pleasure play-testing this one - a very fine first game indeed!

Shadow1000

I completed this game and I enjoyed it.

The two biggest strengths of the game are usually the most difficult to master, especially for new game authors, so I commend Hernald for his first release:

1) The plot was very well developed. There is a big plot that only becomes apparent as the game unfolds and there are many details within that plot to achieve it (sorry so vague, but I don't want to give anything away!). The different goals within the game work together very well giving the player a sense of progress rather than simply throwing random obstacles in the player's path in the name of creating puzzles for a game.

2) The puzzles themselves were excellent. They were obviously well-planned and both logical and unexpected. They were neither impossibly, frustratingly difficult nor too easy.

An EXCELLENT first game.

Areas that you might consider for a next game:

- The graphics were simple, yet adequate for the most part. However, in some parts they were just crude and needed work. If you could spiff them up for your next game that would add to the environment. Animation was fine :)
- I found that the music sometimes just didn't match the room. Jessica's house is an example.
- You may consider preventing the user from entering an area that the user should not be in yet. Or at least hold off on dialogues prematurely if the user is not up to that part of the game.

Spoiler
One example is that I went to the wasteland before the forest. Why? Because I wanted to :) When I did so, Baldy said something to the character there that obviously didn't make sense yet
[close]

One thing I found confusing:
Spoiler
without giving away the details, I purchased some items that seemed to be valuable at the time, and then the items went missing. This appeared to be an afterthought or something but didn't mesh with the game well
[close]

I hope my comments were helpful. Congrats on an excellent first game and I look forward to further adventures of Baldy!

SHADOW

CaptainD

"You may consider preventing the user from entering an area that the user should not be in yet. Or at least hold off on dialogues prematurely if the user is not up to that part of the game."

To be fair there were several instances of the played being prevented from going somewhere too quickly, though as far as I can remember these were all early in the game.  The dialogues were probably more of a problem as you mentioned.

Hernald

Thank you for your positive comments.
Regarding out of place dialog, could you PM me with where this happens? I'm afraid I missed it; always a danger when actions don't have to be performed in a strict sequence.

Shadow1000

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 21/01/2013 12:25:35
"You may consider preventing the user from entering an area that the user should not be in yet. Or at least hold off on dialogues prematurely if the user is not up to that part of the game."

To be fair there were several instances of the played being prevented from going somewhere too quickly, though as far as I can remember these were all early in the game.  The dialogues were probably more of a problem as you mentioned.

You are right. I can think of at least one example of this. But I can think of some examples where ideally, the user or at least the dialogue should be different if the user ends up somewhere too early.

SHADOW

Hernald

Here's some more screenshots.

There is some really fabulous artwork later on but you will have to play the game to see that!

Hernald

@CaptainD I just noticed you included my game on your gaming blog. Thanks for that.
Here's another screenshot:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk