Bug reports & suggestions

Started by AGA, Fri 25/01/2013 12:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbert

Lucky no one sees our secret plans!

Snarky

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 05/04/2020 13:09:50
I can't see my Sent Messages (PMs). Trying to load the page fails.

To be more specific, the page I'm talking about is Messages | Sent Items, with URL https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=pm;f=sent

However, I just tried with an alternate test account, so maybe there's something particularly broken for me? Too many PMs sent?

morganw

Is it possible to enable the display of a post's date/time on the WAP view?

Khris

Probably a bit annoying at this point, but...
Quote from: Khris on Sun 26/01/2020 10:06:14
Just a friendly reminder that this still isn't fixed :)

Quote from: Khris on Wed 04/12/2019 13:41:43
Looks like the forum just lost the default setting of  ags for   [code]  tags.

AGA

Quote from: Khris on Fri 17/04/2020 12:30:02
Probably a bit annoying at this point, but...

Yes.  I'm trying to look into it, but it's far more complicated than it should be.  If you're good enough at PHP by all means chip in though.

Snarky

Quote from: AGA on Sun 02/02/2020 11:10:30
Quote from: Snarky on Sun 02/02/2020 07:44:20
It seems like more or less every extended character (typographic, foreign letters, etc.) in every old post has been mangled. Is it not possible to fix this?

If you can give me examples of the mangled characters, and what they should be (i.e. "%$£ should be â,¬"), I can probably fix each instance.  Otherwise, I'm afraid not.

Check out the reference guide here:

https://www.i18nqa.com/debug/utf8-debug.html
(See also this old thread.)

And roughly in suggested order of priority:

ErrorCorrect
……
â€"â€"
â€"â€"
’’
‘‘
„„
••
»»
««
¿¿
¢¢
££
â,¬â,¬
â,,¢â,,¢
©©
®®
ÇÇ
çç
Ã'Ã'
ññ
ÖÖ
öö
Ã,,Ã,,
ää
ÆÆ
ææ
ØØ
øø
Å Å 
åå
ÜÜ
üü
ÉÉ
éé

(Ideally all changes should be done in a single operation, to reduce the risk of certain sequences being garbled.)

AGA

Great!  I chained all 34 into one monster query, and it seems to have worked.  I passed it on topic and PM titles and bodies, so only particularly obscure characters should remain garbled now!

Snarky

Cool! Let's hope I didn't make any mistakes in that table.  8-0

Although, this post appears to be… differently garbled than it was before.

Edit: And uh-oh. The entry that shows up as "Å " was supposed to be "Å ".

AGA

I ran the full 123 character list, since we missed a few with the first pass.  Should be fine now.

However, it seems various characters have become "�", but it isn't possible to do a find and replace since the affected characters are all different...

Snarky

That's bizarre and a little worrying, but it only appears to affect 22 posts, so as long as that's the only garbled string it's not too bad.

I'm more concerned that my Ã... has turned into Å  again.

AGA

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 24/04/2020 06:19:36
That's bizarre and a little worrying, but it only appears to affect 22 posts, so as long as that's the only garbled string it's not too bad.

We've changed charsets a few times over the years in a bid to fix these types of issues.  I'm guessing at some point those 84 posts (including bodies and topics) have been affected.  The last one was in 2013 though, so doesn't seem to be ongoing.

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 24/04/2020 06:19:36
I'm more concerned that my Ã... has turned into Å  again.

This is because the table has Ã... listed as a misencoded version of Å .  So switching it back unfortunately also affected the genuine Ã...s.  Luckily there are only a few single character misencodings (Ã -> Á, Ã -> Í, Ã -> Ï, Ã -> Ð, Ã -> Ý, Ã -> à, Ã... -> Å ) so false positives should be rare.  It's unfortunately going to have affected mostly Scandinavians...  Sorry!

Snarky

All right, can't be helped! From the hex code column it appears that the garbled character strings for all of these in fact contain an invisible character (which varies in all the à cases), which is what we should probably have used to do the search-replace. Well, live and learn, and â€" as you say â€" both Ã... and particularly à are probably quite rarely used on the AGS forums.

Thanks!

AGA

If you notice any words where it definitely should have been one of the other characters, I'll edit it back.  Unfortunately I can't find a way of searching for "Å " in MySQL, as it's always interpreted as "S" and returns a billion results.

Cassiebsg

Does this mean I can't type "NÃO" on the foum?

EDIT: Looks okay, on my end.
EDIT2: Oh, you probably meant on old threads... think we'll survive.  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AGA

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 24/04/2020 16:52:59
EDIT2: Oh, you probably meant on old threads... think we'll survive.  :-D

Yeah, all characters should be fine going forward, this was just a (slightly failed) exercise to try to fix the old wonky characters.

blur

The two buttons "select all" and "mark selected read" are missing from the Show unread topics since last visit. page.

Snarky

Looks like members' display names are also affected by the character corruption.

Snarky

Suggestion to update some of the sub-forum descriptions:

Completed Game Announcements
For posting your finished AGS games.

General Discussion
For off-topic conversations and discussions.

The Rumpus Room
For tomfoolery and timewasting, memes and meandering threads.

Edit: Thanks!

Sinitrena

Not sure what's going on, but the last few times I tried to log in, I got this message:

QuoteSession verification failed. Please try logging out and back in then try again.

And I wasn't logged in; so no need to log out before trying to log in again as the message suggests. Trying to log in immediately afterwards works fine though. No problems at all. Basically, I have to log in twice.

AGA

I've seen that message before, it never seems to stick around for long!  Just doing a hard refresh (CTRL+R) then going back to the login page usually works for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk