Bug reports & suggestions

Started by AGA, Fri 25/01/2013 12:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

can't see what's wrong, can you do it again please :D
or maybe post a screenshot of what is happening ...

AGA

I've done it again.  Take a look at the 'ags', 'community' or 'games' pages, compared to the front page.  The top navbar entries shift around a bit, which they didn't do when the top border was there.

selmiak

Looks like normal behaviour to me, but you probably mean what I meant here:

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 05/04/2013 18:34:08
also there seems to be a 1 or 2 pixel high line on the very top of the mainpage that makes the scrollbar appear even though it is not needed. Then again this keeps the main page aligned and indented like on all the other pages. Still strange though.

which basically means when the scrollbar appears it moves everything to the left and then the content is still centered in the now smaller space. I dare to claim the 1px border was added exactly for this. To make the scrollbar appear and have all pages look the same while having a minimal amount of scrolling possible on the mainpage. I don't know which is better.

Peder 🚀

The better solution would be to just display the scrollbar at all times (If that is what causes the problem):

Code: AGS
html {
overflow-y: scroll; }

AGA

Well selmiak's only complaint specifically about the scrollbar being visible, so that won't make much difference.  What we really want is to remove the top 1px border, but still have the top navbar items fixed in the same position on every page...

selmiak

THEN a div floating on the right with the width of the scrollbar and 100% height could help. could...
It would have to be empty and only entered into the html on the mainpage. But then the width of the scrollbar has to be the same in every browser on every OS... >_>

Peder 🚀

The issue is not that the scrollbar is there but rather the fact it's there and scrollable by 1 pixel.
If it's just activated it will simply just show but not be scrollable (if that 1px is also removed). (Example here: http://new.agsarchives.com/about.html)

Trust me, remove the 1 pixel and add the code I gave you, I'm sure selmiak will agree it's a good solution when he sees the result!

selmiak

totally worth a shot! :)

AGA

That seems to have worked.  Thanks, Peder!  CSS is confusing :(

selmiak

cool! Got to remember that trick! Actually I like CSS, except when it doesn't do what I want ;)

Gilbert

I don't know whether it's just me, but it seems that in individual forum member's summary page, sometimes the Date Registered, Local Time and Last Active information are displayed, sometimes not.

For example, they're displayed in this account (clicked this just because it's the first entry in the member list), but they're not displayed in mine.

Tested with Opera and Chrome.

It seems that if a member has set his/her location on the map the formatting is messed up. Instead of displaying these info below the member's basic profile data they're stuffed to the right of them. Like in the following screen capture, there are some "black dots" on the right hand side, which when I managed to highlight them, copy and then paste them elsewhere I can see the intended info.
[imgzoom]http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr249/gilbot/profile_bug_zpse1c9897e.png[/imgzoom]
Edited: Odd. It seems that now it only affects my own account (maybe it's because a member will see more info. exposed when viewing his/her own account, such as the email), I thought I saw it affect other members' page a while back.

AGA

I have a map too, and my own profile shows fine for me.  But then I'm not an ordinary user (not that you are either, but you don't see quite as much as I do).  This actually happens on both themes too.  I'll have a poke around in the code, see if I can work it out.

Peder 🚀

Seems to just be a pre-mature closure of the <dl> tag..
It seems to happen after the "Iceboty V7000a won a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001" url..

Code: AGS
while (($row = $smcFunc['db_fetch_row']($result)) != false) {
  if ($row[2] != "") echo "<a name=\"lifetime\"><strong>" . $context['member']['name'] . " won a Lifetime Achievement Award in " . $row[2] . "</strong></a></dl>";
}

Just remove the </dl> from that line AGA and it should be fine :).

AGA

It wasn't quite that, as apparently the dl wasn't opened properly in the right place either.  Seems to be sorted out now though!

Gilbert

Yay! it's fixed now! \o/

selmiak

It's cool to be already logged into the wiki when logged into the forum, but the name displayed is the signup name, not the disply name. Also for edits on the history pages of articles and everywhere else this is displayed.

AGA

Think I found a MediaWiki extension that does what you want.  Not sure if the link will point to the correct realname user page though?

selmiak

hey, you're fast ;D
The userpage still has
User:Signupname
in the url but the headline on the page is the displayname. Makes sense, as you can change the display name whenever you want. Only the userID in the url would also make sense, otherwise this is the best it can get. And names are still better than numbers (from a human point of view, not seen from a server)

edit: just because I just tested it I'll add this here: it takes some time to update a displayname change on the wiki, but it does update indeed.

AGA

Not sure the exact workings, since MediaWiki and SMF are both huge, evil monsters, but it's quite possible the realname only updates when your session refreshes.  You can manually change the real name field in the wiki options to force it to sync with the forums if you really want.

selmiak

some more bugs:

The 'close window' link in the popup for the panel rating help is not inside the popup.

when you are credited for a game but have an empty job slot it screws up the layout. Like here on my credits. I have an empty slot for the indy game demo, the first in the list and the other jobs seem to move up now and the div it all is in is borked.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk