Bug reports & suggestions

Started by AGA, Fri 25/01/2013 12:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

the dropdown menu next to the quicksearch on every page has no effect. It always searches the entire forum and not for example the board you are in atm.

selmiak

and a minor bug, but probably easier to fix: The from the forums box on the AGS startpage shows the name of the poster as the signup name, not the display name.

selmiak

and while I'm on it...

the awards page is a cool thing but the link named
Full games page entry
on commercial games without further notice of the game beeing commercial on the awards page will probably evoke feelings of 'I'm so gonna download this now' and then the disappointment of seeing only a demo available for free. So what I'm trying to say here is, that commercial games that only have a demo available in the database should be noted as that on the awards page to avoid frustrated visitors.

And naturally I'm interested in what awards the game has won right on the awards page. Also nominations of course. When displaying the cup rating and the description from the database, displaying the award won and nominated for should be easy to do on the awards page. Right in between the desription and the cupratings seems like a nice place for this.

and actually using *ZOMG* a table for the Award Nominees underneath the winners on the page wouldn't be so bad, as it is tabular data indeed and so the linebreaks would be indented. The current linebreaks look strange. A smaller font could also work as a temporarily fix until longer gametitles come along.

Crimson Wizard

Game search has some bugs. Not sure, but might be related to certain characters in game's name, such as whitespace or non-letters.
In particular, I was unable to find "Trilby's Notes" by typing in full game's name, but it worked when I typed in "Notes".

AGA

It's probably because characters are escaped in the database, but the search strings aren't.  I'll fix it... eventually!

Peder 🚀

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 30/03/2013 11:22:07
the dropdown menu next to the quicksearch on every page has no effect. It always searches the entire forum and not for example the board you are in atm.

This is not correct, all but the "this board" works, and reason that one doesn't work is a fault in the code:
Code: AGS

<select name="search_selection">
    <option value="entireforum" selected="selected">Entire Forum </option>
    <option value="thisbrd">This board </option> <== value should be "thisboard" not "thisbrd"
    <option value="thistopic">This topic </option>
    <option value="members">Members </option>
    <option value="entiresite">Entire Site </option>
</select>

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 30/03/2013 12:05:20
and a minor bug, but probably easier to fix: The from the forums box on the AGS startpage shows the name of the poster as the signup name, not the display name.
This is because it collects the name of the poster from the post part of the db and not from the user part.
It would be easy to change though.

Crimson Wizard

Someone broke teh game search:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in /var/www/ags/index.php on line 3288

AGA

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 03/04/2013 15:46:40
Someone broke teh game search:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in /var/www/ags/index.php on line 3288

Fixed?  Gimme some info, man!  Search terms at least.  The line number will probably have changed, since I added a load of completely unrelated code earlier.

I'll fix the search terms thing you mentioned before when I get the chance, but I need to make the data uniform, which is more of a job than you might think.

Crimson Wizard

Yes it is fixed, I was looking for "Cat Lady" and then "Lady".

selmiak

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 30/03/2013 12:28:19
and actually using *ZOMG* a table for the Award Nominees underneath the winners on the page wouldn't be so bad, as it is tabular data indeed and so the linebreaks would be indented. The current linebreaks look strange. A smaller font could also work as a temporarily fix until longer gametitles come along.

Cool, thanks for adding all this in, another suggestion for the expandable table when clicking on the Award Nominees' more info link:

Code: html
<tr>
  <td id="nominationsList####" class="awardNominee" style="display block">
    nominations list
  </td> 
</tr>

get rid of the style="display block" and replace it with colspan="3". Looks better!

and something minor again:
when clicking on

Award Wins >>
or
Award Nominations >>

and thus expanding the additional info the >> should logically become a
Award Wins <<
Award Nominations <<

then. To indicate that you collapse it by clicking again ;)

AGA

I got distracted halfway through (by going to bed!) and didn't finish this yesterday, and have been busy all day today.  I'll take another look when I get the chance.

cat

Suddenly the "See the people who made this game and any other games they've worked on >>>" dropdown doesn't seem to work anymore

AGA

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 04/04/2013 14:58:38
get rid of the style="display block" and replace it with colspan="3". Looks better!

The display:none is required for the hiding and showing of the nominees div.  Regardless, I had to rejig the way it's laid out, for reasons too boring to go into.  I also made the arrows swap directions.  It all looks pretty smart now, thanks for the suggestions!

Quote from: cat on Fri 05/04/2013 15:10:10
Suddenly the "See the people who made this game and any other games they've worked on >>>" dropdown doesn't seem to work anymore

This was caused by an unforeseen consequence of selmiak's suggestions.  Should be fixed now though.

selmiak

on the mainpage the link to the News Archive >> doesn't have the >> included in the link while everything else has it in. Damn you OCD!!! :D

also there seems to be a 1 or 2 pixel high line on the very top of the mainpage that makes the scrollbar appear even though it is not needed. Then again this keeps the main page aligned and indented like on all the other pages. Still strange though.

AGA

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 05/04/2013 18:34:08
on the mainpage the link to the News Archive >> doesn't have the >> included in the link while everything else has it in. Damn you OCD!!! :D

Fixed.  Although CJ seems to use >> to mean random things.  Some random links have it, when it generally means 'expand in page'.  I'll go through at some point and make it uniform.

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 05/04/2013 18:34:08
also there seems to be a 1 or 2 pixel high line on the very top of the mainpage that makes the scrollbar appear even though it is not needed. Then again this keeps the main page aligned and indented like on all the other pages. Still strange though.

If you can work out where that's coming from, I'll fix it.  I had a fiddle, but I can't work it out.  The main problem with inheriting a design someone else created!

selmiak

Quote from: AGA on Fri 05/04/2013 19:23:47
If you can work out where that's coming from, I'll fix it.  I had a fiddle, but I can't work it out.  The main problem with inheriting a design someone else created!

What the... firebug doesn't work on the AGS page. What kind of sorcery is this?

but the
Code: css
.fullWidthMainWrapper {
    border-top: 1px solid #90AFF4;

would be my first guess, second guess the sticky footer, third guess this all combined and some more css... but without firebug (or fiddeling around with the css of a live page) this is just a very rough guess.

AGA

Web Developer works here, if that helps.  It's good too.  .fullWidthMainWrapper did it though.

Peder 🚀

That is indeed the issue selmiak. Btw AGA, it seems most of the CSS classes are defined twice in the CSS file..
Only difference is how the colours are defined..

selmiak

haha, BINGO!

will give webdeveloper a try on the next restart of firefox ;)

AGA

Okay, so apparently the border was somehow keeping the top menu bar fixed in the same place.  When it's removed, the menu bar items float around by a few pixels depending on how wide the page is.  Which looks really silly!  Any ideas?  CSS is such a pain, with everything being positioned relative to something else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk