Bug reports & suggestions

Started by AGA, Fri 25/01/2013 12:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

+1 on what Ryan Timothy suggested. It really is the most logical arrangement and one I've been using for years on my own stuff..

cat

I got some weird text in the headings of search result. When searching for "array as parameter" the first result shows
"Advanced Technical Forum / Re: ass="highlight">Arrays as a parameter?"

AGA

"AS" is a MySQL keyword.  Probably just means whoever wrote the extended search plugin the forums uses didn't escape it properly.  Not worth worrying about!

cat

AGA

SMF won't let you do anything dangerous, don't worry.  It has its own sanitised SQL access functions.

cat

The "Tt" button in the post editor adds a [tele] tag which does not work. This should be "tt" as suggested by Ryan Timothy in another thread.

AGA

Whoops, missed that somehow.  It works now, though!

selmiak

not much a bug but...

open forum search page; expand categories; notice Creative Production is on the left, the boards for it are on the right; get nervous... 8-0

dunno how much can be done about this without breaking compatibility with adding in new boards or deleting some, but it just looks out of place.
And can the boards on the search page please be expanded on default?

when rating a game a link back to that game's page would be appropriate and helpful. atm rating a game feels like a dead end ;)

on this page the 'from the forums' shows the loginname, not the displayname
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/community/

and why is there the /site/ part in every url anyways? is this a rewrite of site.php?page= ? Not that it bugs me all that much or that I would have to type that out manually in any way, but it's probably not very search engine friendly for game authors, and the displayed results may look strange. Especially the /site/games/game/####/ double games thingy on the gamepages.

Quote from: Babar on Sat 13/07/2013 12:47:24
Also not a bug report, but seemed the best place to post it: be more appropriate if you ask me if the Title that appears on the top of the browser and in the tab labels was just the last part of the whole thing. Like for this page, it'd just be "Bug Reports". I don't know about others, but I often have many tabs open in the browser or windows open in the taskbar, and always having "Adventure Game..." is a bit unhelpful in immediately identifying it.
Not a major problem or anything, but it'd be cool if it could be changed.

+1 on that, sounds like a really useful change *stares at 6 forum tabs all called the same atm*

cat

On the main page, where the 3 random screenshots are shown: Sometimes there is the "missing image" icon shown, although on the game's page it is displayed correctly. Example: Draculator II: Byte of the Draculator

selmiak

opening the critiques lounge thread overview and this happened only once. After reloading it was gone. But as the NEW image has width and height declarations I don't know what caused it and thought I'd just post it here because it also looks funny...

AGA

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 02/08/2013 21:41:46
open forum search page; expand categories; notice Creative Production is on the left, the boards for it are on the right; get nervous... 8-0

Huh?  Looks fine to me:

And can the boards on the search page please be expanded on default?

Done.

when rating a game a link back to that game's page would be appropriate and helpful. atm rating a game feels like a dead end ;)

Done.

on this page the 'from the forums' shows the loginname, not the displayname
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/community/

Fixed.

and why is there the /site/ part in every url anyways? is this a rewrite of site.php?page= ? Not that it bugs me all that much or that I would have to type that out manually in any way, but it's probably not very search engine friendly for game authors, and the displayed results may look strange. Especially the /site/games/game/####/ double games thingy on the gamepages.

This is mainly because some of the folders, like /games/ already exist on the site (or at least did when I rewrote the site).  I didn't want to break links to www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games/whatever.ext, so I chose a rewrite URL that was distinct.  And it works fine for SEO anyway, we have no problem being found!

Quote from: cat on Sat 03/08/2013 16:11:21
On the main page, where the 3 random screenshots are shown: Sometimes there is the "missing image" icon shown, although on the game's page it is displayed correctly. Example: Draculator II: Byte of the Draculator

For some reason these images were still marked as broken, even though there were valid images, stored locally.  Corrected this now, so only the handful of still broken images will show the placeholder graphic.

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 16/08/2013 13:21:57
opening the critiques lounge thread overview and this happened only once. After reloading it was gone. But as the NEW image has width and height declarations I don't know what caused it and thought I'd just post it here because it also looks funny...

This is almost certainly a random browser error; there's no logical reason why it'd happen, unless the server somehow processed the page generation wrong.  Either way, nothing to worry about unless it starts happening regularly.

AGA

Oh yeah, and I'll look at the page titles thing.  Nowhere near as straightforward as you may think.

Gilbert

Quote from: AGA on Tue 20/08/2013 08:22:42
Huh?  Looks fine to me:
[imgzoom]http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/temp/search.png[/imgzoom]

Actually it's just the board names placed across two columns, and it seems that where the first column is cut off depends on the systems. For example, this is how mine looks like:
[imgzoom]http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr249/gilbot/search_cat_zps39c23c7c.png[/imgzoom]
The list changes to the right column after the "Recruitment" item. Actually what selmiak mentioned is probably the same thing as what you have in your screen-shot, as in your case "AGS Development" is on the left, and all its sub-forums are shoved to the right. Personally I don't think there is any thing wrong with this. It's definitely not a bug or display error.

Snarky

Not sure whether this is fixable, but there have some minor but bothersome issues with the post editor and how to enter bbcode tags.

1. If your selection stretches over multiple lines, it will put a start and end tag on each line (instead of just one at the beginning and end of the selection):

Code: AGS
[b]Example:[/b]
[b][/b]
[b]Multiple lines with tags inserted.[/b]

The only tag I think this behavior is appropriate for is [li].

2. Secondly, after inserting the tag, the text selection in the editing window is deselected, which is inconvenient whenever you want to add multiple tags to the same selection.

3. And is there really no way to make [code] blocks default to AGS if no parameter is given? All old posts that have code from before the tag change are currently broken.

4. Finally, the post editor used to have a link to a bbcode reference page; would it be possible to bring that back?

AGA

Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Tue 20/08/2013 08:51:14
Actually it's just the board names placed across two columns, and it seems that where the first column is cut off depends on the systems. For example, this is how mine looks like:

The list changes to the right column after the "Recruitment" item. Actually what selmiak mentioned is probably the same thing as what you have in your screen-shot, as in your case "AGS Development" is on the left, and all its sub-forums are shoved to the right. Personally I don't think there is any thing wrong with this. It's definitely not a bug or display error.

As the forums list is dynamically generated depending on your access levels (and the existing forums...), it's not really possible to work up an ideal design for the two column design.  All I could really do is make the list run down vertically, rather than in two columns, but that would make the list massive and clog up the page.

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 20/08/2013 09:17:22
Not sure whether this is fixable, but there have some minor but bothersome issues with the post editor and how to enter bbcode tags.

1. If your selection stretches over multiple lines, it will put a start and end tag on each line (instead of just one at the beginning and end of the selection):

Code: AGS
[b]Example:[/b]
[b][/b]
[b]Multiple lines with tags inserted.[/b]

The only tag I think this behavior is appropriate for is [li].

2. Secondly, after inserting the tag, the text selection in the editing window is deselected, which is inconvenient whenever you want to add multiple tags to the same selection.

3. And is there really no way to make [code] blocks default to AGS if no parameter is given? All old posts that have code from before the tag change are currently broken.

4. Finally, the post editor used to have a link to a bbcode reference page; would it be possible to bring that back?

The parsers that deal with BBCode are massive and complex.  I can link you to the sources if you want to take a look, but as I'm no JavaScript expert this may be beyond my expertise.

As for the BBCode reference list, I was actually working on this at one point, but probably got distracted by a shiny thing.  I'll take another look soon.

selmiak

Quote from: AGA on Tue 20/08/2013 08:22:42
Done.
Fixed.
etc

cool, thanks AGA!

It's relaxing to see how the screenshots display nice again and if you fix this multiline formatting issue on the forum you totally rock!
edit: just checked, the behaviour snarky describes is the normal smf 2.x behaviour (with 2. also including the newly added tag into the formatting), just doublecheck with the original sources (and break something else ;))

Crimson Wizard

The error message displayed when searching for words too short reads:
Minimum characters required in each word for search are

Stupot

On the main page of the forum, under the Upcoming Calendar section it says "AGS Anniversary, Talk Like a Pirate Day", but doesn't tell us which date they are, and there is no mention of them on the actual calendar page.

Adeel

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 15/09/2013 18:06:48
On the main page of the forum, under the Upcoming Calendar section it says "AGS Anniversary, Talk Like a Pirate Day", but doesn't tell us which date they are, and there is no mention of them on the actual calendar page.

+1. This one was also bothering me.

cat

On the games page, one of the random screenshots looked interesting (well, at least in the small preview ;)), so I clicked on it. However, the page shows an error:

QuoteGame Not Found
The game you requested could not be found in the database. There are three possible reasons for this:...

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/746/
Is there something wrong with the page? Or was the game removed from the DB but not completely?
The title is supposed to be Dan Finds His Beard and the image is this:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk