Bug reports & suggestions

Started by AGA, Fri 25/01/2013 12:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Janos Biro

No reason. I guess IE is not very popular around here, that's all.
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

AGA

I'm afraid you'll have to learn to live with it.  I don't get paid enough (or indeed at all) to waste time getting the site to work perfectly in a browser as broken as IE.  Especially given this is a tech community, and fewer than 10% of visitors use IE.

Janos Biro

Volcan, I think what AGA is trying to say is that IE is not recommended to better view this site, and this is not uncommon in sites made by "techs". Users of more "alternative" browsers often like to bash IE, and unfortunately IE users too. But maybe only 10% of gamers today prefer to play Point & Click Adventures, let alone MAKE then. So the problem is not that you're part of a minority. It wouldn't be nice to ignore your complaint just because of that. But messing with IE issues is something that is probably not in the plans of this community. I bet many people here don't see why someone would like to use IE voluntarily, since they believe that IE is flawed and too slow compared to other free alternatives. I myself would pay not to use IE ever again in my life. Maybe the sites you visit are not the same kind "techs" visit, but there's a lot of web designers that think this way. See this comparative infographic for more information:

Volcan

I first thought AGS supports all browsers that's why I reported this glitch.

I heard this same song with Netscape ten years ago.

Alright. I won't report any problems with Internet Explorer.

Tabata

I don't have probs with the IE and I love it.

@Volcan
Don't let them bring you down. I use Chrome and IE and still prefer IE.
Although I can not really help, but if you have something with IE you can send me PM to find out whether it is a general problem or just about your settings.

btw. the forum sites appear okay for me in IE

selmiak

Tabata, do you use Internet Explorer 10 or 9?
Volcan, maybe updating iE helps.

Tabata

Yepp, selmiak is right - updating is recommended (nod)
(I am using IE 11)

edit:
sorry, had to correct the number of the version of my IE  that I told you - just found out about it being Version 11 by reading the EULA
(I always try using the most recent version)

Janos Biro

Just a side note: I totally agree that you have the right to stick with the browser you want, and the site should support all popular browsers.

AGA

The site and forums render just fine in up to date versions of all major browsers.  If you're using an out of date version, or some obscure browser, you can't expect it to be supported.

Expecting old versions of IE - which notoriously don't support web standards properly - to be supported is a little silly.  If I was Amazon and had a dedicated team of web developers devoted to making the site work in all conceivable browsers, maybe I would, but as it is I'm just one man doing this for free, so you have no right to *expect* anything.  So shush :P

selmiak

the space before the smiley when clicking in the quickpost disappeared somehow. In the normal reply form it still works  :-\

AGA

Huh?  I've looked at quick reply and reply in both forum themes, and I have no idea what you mean!

Volcan

Quote from: AGA on Sun 16/02/2014 20:31:48
The site and forums render just fine in up to date versions of all major browsers.  If you're using an out of date version, or some obscure browser, you can't expect it to be supported.

Expecting old versions of IE - which notoriously don't support web standards properly - to be supported is a little silly.  If I was Amazon and had a dedicated team of web developers devoted to making the site work in all conceivable browsers, maybe I would, but as it is I'm just one man doing this for free, so you have no right to *expect* anything.  So shush :P

I agree with that. I'll update ie.

selmiak

Quote from: AGA on Sun 16/02/2014 21:38:35
Huh?  I've looked at quick reply and reply in both forum themes, and I have no idea what you mean!
When I click a smiley icon in the quickreply at the end of the thread it gets insertet, but without a preceeding space that is needed for smf to recignise the smiley. iirc this worked since you fixed it some days ago. And that you can't replicate this bug makes it even harder to nail down. FF27.0.1 and opera act alike for me.

AGA

I didn't (at least not deliberately) change anything about the smilies...  I've never noticed whether or not there was a preceding space before, but I almost never use unusual smilies.

selmiak

And I'm pretty sure it worked some hours before posting the bugreport as I use the quickreply almost every time.

AGA

Even better, have a thing:

selmiak

Let's hope this also doesn't stop working after some time. Thanks AGA!

AGA

Given I hacked it in myself, that's pretty unlikely.  Should be fine!

Tramponline

Hey, AGA. This might be just me being a bit daft here, but:

The BBcode for hiding spoiler text is not explained in the list under 'Help' -> 'BBCode'  (forum's menu bar).
[hide] ... Your spoiler text here ...[/hide]

That entry would be quite helpful for new people, I suppose?

AGA

Quite possibly.  That page is something I hacked in a while ago (because SMF for some insane reason doesn't include that by default...), and it's probably not exhaustive.  I'll put it in!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk