Bug reports & suggestions

Started by AGA, Fri 25/01/2013 12:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Adeel

Now that you mention it Stu, I took a look and I can confirm that you're not hallucinating. :tongue:

My PC's time and date is synced with that of Microsoft (which is accurate) and I've tried syncing with other servers. The result? AGS Forums' time does seem to be running 2 minutes ahead.

Cassiebsg

06-08-2016, 16:29:30

My PC clock says 16:27
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Peder 🚀

I can confirm the server time is a couple minutes ahead, working on fixing this right now ;)

Peder 🚀

This should now hopefully be pretty spot on...

Cassiebsg

I can confirm it is. :)
refreshed it at the same time my Pc changed the time. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

when rating a game in the db I get this message on the page:

Error: unable to write to log

but also:

Thanksyou your vote was recorded (or so, got redirected)

Did my votes from today count and is the script working alright?

AGA

Script works fine, it's just the log file that wasn't being written.  Might be fixed now, please let me know if you still get the log file error.

cat

There were "unable to write to log" for every action performed on the database. Did you fix something generic about logging or just for the special case of voting?

AGA

I assume it was because the log file (a text file on the server) wasn't writeable.  That's independent of the database stuff, which is stored in a MySQL database.

selmiak

The game credits on a game's page are still wierd and broken imho.

First of all: Is there a reason why the people involved with making the game are hidden? They should be visible at plain sight, just add another light blue box so we have About this game, Credits (new!) and Comments. Now everyone can see you madez a game. Btw, there is a border-radius css element that works in all major browsers now, no need to have 3 css classes defined and 3 div elements for 1 box with rounded corners, just saying, it displays fine, I was just looking through the html and noticed this.

All the other games an AGSer has worked on can still be hidden behind one click, this is okay imho, though the link to click on could be the words: has worked on <a> ## other games >> </a>. But this list behind that link is still broken, please just use a freaking table to display that data rather than floating divs, this screws up the layout! If the gamename is too long the gamename goes over two lines while the credits don't, so you have 2 of your roles in making 2 different games displayed next to only one gamename over 2 lines and this drags on through the whole list. If you did too much and your role goes over 1 line the 2nd line displays somewhere halfways into the gamename. Please just use tables or wrap the gamename and the role into yet another div. Using tables for data like this is perfectly fine, especially when the display looks better afterwards. Using a wrapper div is probably faster and should work without any additional css for the wrapper div, but clutters up the html.

Amayirot Akago

Search feature in the AGS game database is borked. Whenever I try it I get a blank page with this error message:

QuoteError 403

We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /site/games/namesearch/ on this server.

You do not have permission to access this server. Before trying again, close your browser, run anti-virus and anti-spyware software and remove any viruses and spyware from your computer.

Your technical support key is: 541e-a0bf-b40c-8ddc

You can use this key to fix this problem yourself.

If you are unable to fix the problem yourself, please contact the WEBMA5TER and be sure to provide the technical support key shown above.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

AGA

What exactly are you searching for? On which browser, platform etc? I've just tried it quickly on my mobile and it seems to work.

Amayirot Akago

Using Chrome on my Windows 7 PC. Haven't had problems before now. Just searching for a few games I wanted to look up like The Infinity String.

EDIT: Deleting my browser cookies and logging in again seems to have fixed it.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Peder 🚀

Radiant

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 10/08/2016 11:53:41
The game credits on a game's page are still wierd and broken imho.

First of all: Is there a reason why the people involved with making the game are hidden? They should be visible at plain sight, just add another light blue box so we have About this game, Credits (new!) and Comments. Now everyone can see you madez a game. Btw, there is a border-radius css element that works in all major browsers now, no need to have 3 css classes defined and 3 div elements for 1 box with rounded corners, just saying, it displays fine, I was just looking through the html and noticed this.

All the other games an AGSer has worked on can still be hidden behind one click, this is okay imho, though the link to click on could be the words: has worked on <a> ## other games >> </a>. But this list behind that link is still broken, please just use a freaking table to display that data rather than floating divs, this screws up the layout! If the gamename is too long the gamename goes over two lines while the credits don't, so you have 2 of your roles in making 2 different games displayed next to only one gamename over 2 lines and this drags on through the whole list. If you did too much and your role goes over 1 line the 2nd line displays somewhere halfways into the gamename. Please just use tables or wrap the gamename and the role into yet another div. Using tables for data like this is perfectly fine, especially when the display looks better afterwards. Using a wrapper div is probably faster and should work without any additional css for the wrapper div, but clutters up the html.
I'd like to echo this, it looks pretty bad for any team that has made more than two or three games.

Quote from: cat on Sun 02/08/2015 13:31:52I still get the tapatalk spam from time to time when browsing with my phone. This is really annoying. So does at least someone know if I can use Adblock to stop this?
This is still an issue, could someone please fix this.

Peder 🚀

Some game pages are taking a really long time to load, not fully sure what is going on here? (been checking server side but it doesn't seem like anything is being overloaded which would cause it to load slow..
This one takes ~18 seconds to load: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1793
While this one only takes around ~1-2 seconds: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1794

Some code improvements might be needed??

AGA

The slow one has a billion staff members tagged, each of whom then has to be looked up for their individual credits.  It's possible there's some overheads in there that could be cut out, but it's not the highest priority.  I'll add it to the list!

Peder 🚀

It'd also be interesting to test the db server on speeds, might do with an upgrade.. I should be able to afford the next tier fine so..

cat

The database has recently gotten significantly slower. Also lists like www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/awards/ take ages to show.

Peder 🚀

I'll have a look to see if there's anything I can do to improve it server side...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk