Bug reports & suggestions

Started by AGA, Fri 25/01/2013 12:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

AGA

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 02/02/2020 07:44:20
It seems like more or less every extended character (typographic, foreign letters, etc.) in every old post has been mangled. Is it not possible to fix this?

If you can give me examples of the mangled characters, and what they should be (i.e. "%$£ should be â,¬"), I can probably fix each instance.  Otherwise, I'm afraid not.

Cassiebsg

I suppose you could start with your own sig... "SuctionFunnelsâ,,¢.com"  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Suggestion:

I was thinking we should try to make more use of the calendar for things like competition deadlines as well as other important AGS and wider adventure-related dates (Mittens, AdvX and other conferences and meetups, upcoming game release dates, etc.).

That said, there are a lot of birthday names on the calendar which would probably make it difficult to see anything else on there anyway. With that in mind, would it be possible to add a button to the calendar page to toggle the birthdays on and off (to make anything else people might add to it more visible)?

AGA

I've set birthdays to only be listed on the forums index.

Stupot

Quote from: AGA on Mon 10/02/2020 16:39:41
I've set birthdays to only be listed on the forums index.
Ahh cool, thanks.

Now we have to fill all that blank space with juicy content.

[edit] I tried posting a couple of events but I got the following messsge: “ Database Error. Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.“

AGA

Stupot

cat

There is a problem with the result of game search. If the screenshot is wider than 4:3 the text overlaps. You can see a few examples when searching for non-English games (https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/search/game_lengths:1,6,0,15;genres:1,2,3,4,5,0;game_types:1,2,3,4,5,0;story_types:1,2,3,4,5,0;commercial:1;languages:43,53,164;operating_systems:1/1/name/asc/)

AGA

Lord C, your post has been moved to the correct location.

Lord C

Thank you, and sorry again!

selmiak

I don't like the new popup when downloading a game. Can we please have all options with some symbols on the download page to spare the extra click. Also waiting 3 seconds for the redirect is so 2003, ain't nobody got time for that! maybe just open the link in a new window and screw the redirect. or is it for clickcounting? then make it 10ms waittime...
We could croudsource the icons from the artists in the forum, I bet there are some pretty icons coming out of this. And any additional info for the download link I would just put in a mouseover text. For mobile users that cannot hover their mouse of links we could have more text (or the popup). What do you think of this? What icons are needed? And what size?

AGA

There can be up to 15 links for each game, which feels like it would be way too much information to show on a game's page.

Cassiebsg

Maybe put the most common, like maybe Windows and Linux, on the page and then "others & mirrors" on a 3rd button that opens the popup ? That way it would be 3 buttons instead of 15, and save most people from the popup?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AGA

That's not a very nice flow though.  As it is, the user opens the game's page, clicks 'Download', clicks the relevant download.  Two clicks and you get what you want, without the page being too busy.  What happens for instance if a download link is broken, and the user needs to use the mirror?  It just feels like it's going to end up with users getting discouraged, and not bothering to even download a game...

Plenty of other big multi platform download sites have either a separate page or modal for downloads (e.g. https://gamejolt.com/games/captain-disaster-in-death-has-a-million-stomping-boots/151665, https://captaind.itch.io/captain-disaster-in-death-has-a-million-stomping-boots).  The main difference is the available platforms are represented by icons instead of words.

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

AGA

Babar

Yup, thanks!

Although seeing it now, I question the usefulness of any of those resources, with the last update being 14 years ago :grin:
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Snarky

I can't see my Sent Messages (PMs). Trying to load the page fails.

Sinitrena

Are threads that are in a restricted section of the forums supposed to show up in the "From the Forums" section on the main page?

As you can see in this screenshot: "Awards 2020 - Game library" shows up but seems to be in a restricted section - at least I think it is. It asks me to log-in when i click on it and when I do log in I'm redirected to the main forum page and can't find this thread through the search function, so I can only assume it's in a section I have no access to.

Link to the thread I'm talking about: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=57922.msg636618492#new

AGA

Yeah, I always forget to filter out new sekrit forums when they get added.  Done now, thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk