[RELEASED] Quest Episode 2: Escape From Bully Island

Started by Jaffles, Mon 02/07/2012 03:46:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaffles

Greetings everybody! Jaffles here once again to bring you a preview of the second game in the Reon Quest series. Thanks to everyone who played Episode 1 and has supported me thus far! At the current rate of progression, I'd say expect this game to drop around September/October, but no promises! Anyway, without further ado, here is...

If you like what you see, Episode 1 is complete and playable HERE

Reon Quest Episode 2: Escape From Bully Island

Story

After the antics surrounding the Mysterious Aluminatti Society, the Principal of Reon Elementary School has had enough! With the big PTA Meeting on the horizon and his school's reputation on the line, he does what any other reasonable Principal would do: Orders Draco and his "merry band of idiots" to be thrown into the newly built juvenile detention center, Bully Island, until they're old enough for college. After this fiendish decree, our heroes are blindsided by an army of Hall Monitors and are swiftly thrown behind bars. But Slugamor, being the slippery slug that he is quickly manages to escape the prison. The others, however, are not so fortunate. Now it's up to Slugamor and Draco to work together to free their friends and Escape From Bully Island!

Screenshots

Explore the vast and menacing Bully Island both outside and in!

Outside the prison, visit places both familiar and new with Draco's sarcastic pal Slugamor!

Switch over to Draco to plumb the depths of the prison and rescue your friends!

NOTE: This is still a fairly early build of the game. Graphics are subject to more stuff added, or something.

Characters

Draco
A reptilian prankster with a heart of gold, Draco doesn�t cause trouble maliciously. He�s just an unfortunate combination of an overactive imagination and a short attention span. His pudding bombs have made his a name to be feared in Reon Elementary�s underground prank scene, and his haphazard schemes often lead himself and his friends into unexpected and bizarre situations.

Slugamor
Draco�s best friend, Slugamor would much rather be in his lab, read a good book, or solve world hunger than help Draco with his half-baked pranks. Slugamor often plays the straight man to Draco�s craziness, but has been known to snap himself, especially when girls are involved. Slugamor has also been diagnosed with chronic misfortune, and a day rarely passes where he isn't crushed, creamed, wedgied, or eaten. His dry sense of humor often gets him in trouble, but Draco is always there to bail out his "diminutive, sarcastic bug buddy."

Grassoon
The son of a renowned Rocket Scientist and an equally renowned Brain Surgeon, Grassoon should have it all: Smarts, wit, and class. In reality, he has the IQ of a wooden nickel, and a black hole for a stomach. When not eating hot dogs, Grassoon can be found thinking about eating hot dogs, or shouting about how much he loves eating hot dogs. Despite his irritating idiocy, Grassoon�s doe-eyed innocence and enthusiasm endear him to everyone he doesn�t eat. His parents however, consider him to be their punishment for making fun of stupid people in high school.

Terrier
The literal �Big Dog� on campus, Terrier loves to work out and play paintball as much as he loves to play fetch and chase cars. Though he isn�t a bully, this is one guy you don�t want to mess with. Don�t be fooled by his tough guy exterior tough, he�s a big ol� softie at heart. Unless you're a squirrel. In that case I'd suggest keeping a safe distance away. Terrier is also renowned for his ability to play pretend, and has a habit of getting carried away in his various roles.

Soldiernaut
Reon Elementary�s premier bully, Soldiernaut takes pride in the pain he causes. Whether it�s beating up Slugamor, taunting Draco, or manipulating Grassoon, this evil little reptile just loves to make trouble. Despite his maliciousness, Soldiernaut isn�t the brightest bulb, and often wavers between evil genius and dimwitted bully. He's also looking for a lackey trade, if interested, please call the following number 1-800-GET-RID-OF-DUMBANG.

Dumbang
Dumbang is Soldiernaut�s favorite (by default) lackey. Because Soldiernaut is more of a �do it yourself� kind of bully, Dumbang usually just does menial tasks that Soldiernaut doesn�t feel like doing himself. In fact, it could be argued that Dumbang is subject to more abuse than most of Soldiernaut�s victims. Not that any of this bothers him; it all just bounces off his thick, metallic head. Also, he turns into a fierce deity hell-bent on destroying all of humanity whenever he eats lunch. This happens more often than you�d think.

Salaspark
The hottest girl in Reon Elementary (literally!) and the subject of Draco�s affections. Salaspark is not afraid to use her feminine wiles to get what she wants, namely the contents of Draco's wallet. And when that doesn�t work� well, she's not adverse to giving people third degree burns to get her way as well. While she may look sweet, behind that coy smile is a mind as cunning and crafty as they come.

Sunstar
Salaspark's level headed gal-pal. Sunstar seems to be one of the few kids with a good head on their shoulders, and does her best to keep everyone out of trouble. She also has trouble hiding her disdain for some of the less intelligent members of the group. She considers Slugamor to be her good friend, and wishes he wouldn't get mixed up in Draco's shenanigans. She�s also a surprisingly adept texter despite her lack of thumbs, fingers, and hands.

Newcomers
There are a few newcomers in this episode. I will update periodically with their bios and picture!

?

?

?

Features Include

• Two playable characters
  • More churros than you can count
  • Over 20 puzzle packed rooms
  • Original Soundtrack
  • Lots of morons to converse with and more!

Completion

• Story: 100%
  • Scripting: 60%
  • Graphics: 80%
  • Music: 60%

Jaffles

Hey everyone! I've been hard at work on Episode 2, and thought it was time for an update! The game is about halfway finished, and everything is coming along on schedule. So now, I'd like you to meet...

Soldierknight

Soldiernaut's older brother and premier bully at Reon High, Soldierknight has complete control over Bully Island. Even the guards fear this massive, mean, monstrous teenager. Soldierknight is equal parts cruel and calculating and his merciless bullying makes the antics of his younger brother look like child's play in comparison. His favorite method of torture is the "Alaskan Chili Bowl" (You don't want to know, trust me). Soldierknight is one of Draco's most formidable foes, and Draco is going to have to outwit him if he wants to escape Bully Island with his hide intact.

I also thought I'd show a new screenshot. This is the forest where Draco's family take up residence. Here you can chat with Mr. and Mrs. Draco, his little brother Eggy, and his pet Pterodactyl, Fluffles (who has a penchant for maiming Slugamor).

Enjoy!

Jaffles

It's update time again folks! But before we begin, Slugamor convinced (threatened) me to show you this piece of fancily drawn bonus art (doodling)...

...hold it right there! We're not done yet! The game is playable from start to finish, but there's a whole lot of polishing to be done in the next couple of months so stay tuned. Here's some new screenshots from the intro to the game, enjoy!

The game begins with a fancy blue recap of the events of Episode 1. Remember outwitting these guys? Ahh, good times...

But soon enough Draco and his pals are on a one way trip to the hoosegow. Parallax scrolling included!

and no update would be complete without a character reveal! I'd like you guys to meet...

Thudsir

A bully is nothing without a lackey, and Soldierknight is no exception. As you could probably guess, Dumbang and Thudsir share quite a bit of DNA (and most likely a brain as well). Thudsir is renowned for his gardening abilities and his penchant for giving people strange nicknames. Though he's in no rush to escape, perhaps this lackey can help you deal with his Boss's foul temper...

Enjoy!

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Jaffles

Hey everyone! Update time once again! Work on Episode 2 has been coming along swimmingly, and the game is now playable from start to finish! All that remains to be added are some final touches, and of course music and sound (sound familiar?).

Here's a new screenshot. This is the Burp-O-Mart a convenience store run by local slob Burpadon. It seems Dumbang's annoying whistling is giving Burpadon a stomach ache, maybe Slugamor can help?

Jaffles

I'M NOT DEAD! Yup, we are indeed not dead (just in the thick of the college process sadly). But there is good news! The game is completed from start to finish! Hooray! We're just missing one thing.

Guess what it is?

Yup, music. (Deja vu all over again eh?). Alas our resident musician is doing 10,000 other things right now, so it will be a few more months until we get the music to get the game finished. Just wanted to let you guys know we haven't fallen off the horse yet!

Here's a new screenie! Looks like the school is locked down tight!

Also if you haven't, be sure to check out the New and improved Episode 1!

Jaffles

Huzzah! Good news! We here at Slug4Brains Studio are happy to welcome the musical m0ds and his friend Simon aboard the project! These two have most graciously taken up Grant's mantle and are finishing up the soundtrack. Here's a sample of their work, this theme plays when visiting Draco's family in the forest(and admiring their impressive trophy case)!

So, while all this has been going on, I've been working on polishing and improving other aspects of the game. Take for example the Solitary Confinement wing.

What was once this...

...is now this!  8-0

Please, please, try to hold your applause ;)

Anyway, we're shooting to release by the end of November, so get your pickaxes ready, because it'll be jailbreak time before you know it!

Jaffles

Well, it took longer than expected, but...

things are really starting to come together! Now we're looking for some beta testers to help us make sure everything's looking good for the final release of the game sometime in January! PM or check out this thread me if you're interested!

Thanks!

Jaffles

Get excited fellow inmates! After much testing, and some final tweaks, Reon Quest Episode 2: Escape From Bully Island will be launching this weekend! So get your shovels ready, bust out a bowl of chili and get ready to sink your teeth into the Reon gang's latest adventure!

Thanks to everyone who's helped us along the way from everything from testing to music! We wouldn't be able to do it without you guys!

Jaffles

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk