Solved: Cannot load AGS, .NET frame not working

Started by johanvepa, Sun 27/01/2013 22:13:02

Previous topic - Next topic

johanvepa

First posting, wanted to try out the AGS game editor program.

I just downloaded AGS but cannot seem to start the program. When I do, I am told that I need the .NET frame vers 2 or higher installed. The "Ok" button brings me to an outdated site in the microsoft download area. So I googled and installed .NET framework vers 4. But I still get the error message. How can I bring AGS to life?

I am running winXP.

Sslaxx

Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

johanvepa

Hmm, that seems to be a service pack for the framework, not the framework itself. Thanks, though.

I may have found the framework by searching microsofts homepage, but I am now not sure whether I should download the .net framework 2.0 Redistributale package (x64) or the .net framework 2.0 software development kit (x86).

I tried the redistributale package, but got the following error message: error creating process c:/docume.../something/something/install.exe. reason: c:/windows/system32/advpack.dll

Huh?

Khris

The redistributable one is the correct one, but it's for 64bit systems. Since the installation didn't work I assume you have the 32bit version of XP? Check in System Properties; if it says neither 32bit nor 64bit anywhere, you have 32 bit, also called x86.

The software development kit (sdk) is for developers, you only need the runtime.

It's weird, the only download I can find for 32bit has Compact in its name; not sure if that'll work, but you can try:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22808

(Also, in case you're wondering: the .NET versions are separate, 4.0 doesn't include the other ones. You need to install 2.0 for 2.0 apps, 3.0 for 3.0 apps, etc.)

johanvepa

I am pretty sure it's 32 bit windows. To my knowledge, I've never had a 64 bit PC.

I also think the compact version does not work with a desktop PC. I did a search of the microsoft homepage but couldn't find any 2.0 downloads but the compact.

Anyway, I've removed all of the .NET framwork 4.0 from my PC, it slowed everything down dreadfully. And I succeeded in finding an installation of .NET framework 2.0 runtime on filehippo. I am going to try and run it now, wish me luck!

arj0n

Why not just install .Net Framework 3.5? (that one includes .NET 2.0 & 3.0)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Nanuaraq on Mon 28/01/2013 20:55:16
Anyway, I've removed all of the .NET framwork 4.0 from my PC, it slowed everything down dreadfully.
You don't need to remove the later versions, as Khris said they work separately, so it is pretty valid to have .NET 2, 3 and 4 Frameworks installed on one system.

For example, that's what I have on my 64-bit Windows 7:
- Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0;
- Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5;
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4;

johanvepa

In the undying words of Dr. Fred:

"It works, I can't believe it!"

Right now trying out a few things, like mapping out a walkable area. Ripped a background from an old favorite and playing around a bit.

I am overjoyed with this   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk