[PAID] Porting our games to Mac

Started by Dave Gilbert, Mon 04/02/2013 19:53:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Janet and I have decided that this year will be the Year of Porting. An iOS port of our games is coming soon, as well as Linux. We really want to go for the hat trick and get Mac builds out as well.

From what we can see, there have been several attempts at a Mac port but none of them have been finished. What will it take to make this happen? Our short term goal is to get Mac and Linux builds of our games running natively (e.g., not through an emulator - you run the the EXE and go) and push them all to the Humble Bundle folks.

There's no official deadline, but we'd like to get this done before or around summer. Please contact us through PM or at the usual place.

Thanks!

-Dave

BigMc

Here is the thread about the Mac OS X port: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47264.0

In a nutshell: either AGS has to be ported to Allegro 5 or Allegro 4.4 has to be ported to Mac OS X 10.7.

s_d

Quote from: BigMc on Tue 05/02/2013 15:11:40
In a nutshell: either AGS has to be ported to Allegro 5 or Allegro 4.4 has to be ported to Mac OS X 10.7.

It looks like a middle-ground path would be to work on the "Allegro-4-running-on-Allegro-5" idea that has been discussed on the Allegro forums (here), and basically fully flesh-out this.

Perhaps this would be a good place to start?

Allegro 5 is probably the long-term path forward, but they've deprecated packfiles and other stuff as well, I'm sure.  So, that looks like a lot of work and a lot of broken older games.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: s_d on Tue 05/02/2013 19:30:43
Allegro 5 is probably the long-term path forward, but they've deprecated packfiles and other stuff as well, I'm sure.  So, that looks like a lot of work and a lot of broken older games.
Isn't the allegro 4 source open? I mean, packfile code could be copied from there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk