A Golden Wake - Coming October 9th from Wadjet Eye Games. DEMO AVAILABLE!

Started by Grundislav, Mon 25/02/2013 03:30:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Frodo

Very happy to know it will be on GOG.  :grin:

Can't find a price anywhere though.  :confused:

Grundislav

It should be on the pre order page.  In any case, it's $14.99.

Frodo

Thanks Grundi  :smiley:

Snarky

SarahLiz

Yep.  Please take my money...I've been waiting impatiently for this one!

Hobo

Sslaxx

Quote from: SarahLiz on Sat 13/09/2014 06:26:12
Yep.  Please take my money...I've been waiting impatiently for this one!
They already have my money.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Grundislav

Bumping the thread to announce that a demo is now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.  Try before you buy!

Hobo

Played and completed the demo last night. Absolutely loved the selling system and the whole setting and mood of the game. The music, voice acting, background art and writing was also pretty good, but I'm not completely sold on the character sprites.

Some of the characters and their animations did not seem to be quite up to the standard of the rest of the demo (for example, Ms Rogers and her typing animation). And if you don't mind me asking, then what's up with the character sprites in larger outside shots? Mixed resolution?

I was also surprised by the complete lack of settings (no audio sliders, game speed etc.), is that just a demo thing? I do hope the full release is a bit more polished, because, for example, pressing crtl+q brought up a skewed up AGS default quit GUI.

Sorry, if I come off as a bit harsh about some stuff, I actually really liked the demo and am looking forward to playing the full game. Keep up the good work!

Giraffadon

I just tried the demo.

You've done a nice job on the game.

The animations are great, especially the walk cycles.

Also loving the BG's.

I found the main character's voice to have a lot more reverb than everyone else, but all are acted very well.
I also think you're missing some ambient sound, especially from the street scene.

All in all though, a very nice game.

;-D (nod)

Grundislav

Quote from: Hobo on Fri 03/10/2014 10:41:57
And if you don't mind me asking, then what's up with the character sprites in larger outside shots? Mixed resolution?

This is an AGS thing, a result of running the game with Direct3d, and I hate it. If you change it in the game setup to DirectDraw5, the sprites will scale normally, but it might not be compatible with your machine.

Cassiebsg

Just one thing. I installed it and then the game auto-started. 8-0
Just cause I installed it, doesn't mean I want to run it right away (or did I miss a check box on the installer?). Besides I want to run it in a window and not full screen. No choice for that from the installer?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Armageddon

Got the demo off Steam, I was on the fence about it but the demo really hooked me, first day buy for sure. Wish I could pre-order it. Putting the hat down was really impressive, and it didn't even show in the character window anymore. Congratulations on the game. :-D

Dave Gilbert

Cassie: Yes you missed a checkbox on the installer. :) Sorry about that.

Stupot

I played the demo yesterday and it was good fun. I especially loved the sales pitch puzzle. Good stuff Grundy.
If I had one gripe it would be the scaling issue in the hotel bedroom. Alfie visibly shrinks by half as he walks to the bottom of the screen. But that's not exactly deal breaking. Can't wait to play the full game.

jwalt

Quote from: Armageddon on Sat 04/10/2014 09:11:38
Got the demo off Steam, I was on the fence about it but the demo really hooked me, first day buy for sure. Wish I could pre-order it. Putting the hat down was really impressive, and it didn't even show in the character window anymore. Congratulations on the game. :-D

The hat impressed me, too. It's gone in the sprites out in the world, as well. GK2 had a scene where he put on his jacket every time he left the house in the woods. Didn't mind it the first few times, but as the game progressed, it got tedious. Nice detail, Grundislav!

Grundislav

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 04/10/2014 13:49:46
If I had one gripe it would be the scaling issue in the hotel bedroom. Alfie visibly shrinks by half as he walks to the bottom of the screen. But that's not exactly deal breaking. Can't wait to play the full game.

Does he? That's odd, as the walkable area is at 100% scaling. Do you have a screenshot?

Stupot

Yeah, he's basically the same height as the chest of drawers. At least for me. I'm not at home til later but I'll get you a screenshot soon.

Mandle

Just finished the Demo woefully all too soon :(

I loved it! Charming 1920's atmosphere and lingo (skeedaddle (laugh)) really immerse you in the setting. One thing that slightly broke the immersion for me was:

Spoiler
nobody passing by the open hotel door when you are in the lobby despite the street being quite crowded with passers-by in the outside shot. I'm guessing it was too hard to animate them at that perspective... Maybe the door should be opened and closed when you come in to prevent spoiling the illusion of a busy street which is achieved so well in the other street scenes? That way you still briefly get to see the street scene outside but nobody passing by will not be so obvious...
[close]

But yeah, wonderful looking game with a lot of lovely period detail to take in. I will be getting this one!

Grundislav

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 05/10/2014 02:15:55
Yeah, he's basically the same height as the chest of drawers. At least for me. I'm not at home til later but I'll get you a screenshot soon.

Ah, I know what the issue is: crappy perspective. There's the optical illusion of Alfie being smaller than he should be precisely because he doesn't scale but the dresser is angled the way it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk