This time I'm actually being serious, so I'll make a thread here.

Started by monkey0506, Fri 01/03/2013 05:40:58

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

I have been immature and irresponsible around the forums lately. In some way, I've done it intentionally to help myself reach the decisions that I need to make.

I don't mean to make excuses. I'm not upset at anyone here. No one has done anything wrong for me to be upset about. I don't hold any hard feelings. I did, but... It's in the past.

Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is pretty much summed up here:

https://sites.google.com/site/monkey0506/home

I went through my site on X10Hosting.com, my Google sites, and my local HDD to compile the list of files. I sincerely hope that it helps, and if it doesn't, well it was a fun ride anyway. :)

I apologize that I cannot be responsible enough to update my own links, but if anyone sees links to any of these files go dead, please refer to this link. Also, if it's not on this link then I don't have a current copy of it (except the IWWHIIWWHI... game and the OSD-OCD source, both of which are too large to upload to Google).

Thanks for reading. I'll be back, eventually. :)

-monkey

ThreeOhFour

Crimson Wizard

You are doing clever thing!
Internets are evil. You will benefit more than you loose. :)

Armageddon

On a lighter note some how Draculator II got nominated for something and now my name has an ugly icon under it. :(

bicilotti

Good luck!

edit: maybe it's better if I send him an SMS

Khris

I assume you're away trying to spread Mormonism, right? Good luck with that.

Andail

ok, SPLIT.
The topic, that is. Not you guys.

Monkey, I hope you'll find some peace of mind wherever you retreat for this period! I just browsed around the AGS wiki and realized how many articles you had authored there.

Grim

What I'd really like to know is this: WTF happened and how did I miss that?

I'm on this forum nearly every day and it's killing me that I don't understand what's going on there. Who offended Monkey? Who did he Monkey offend? Why is he taking all this time off from internet?...

Well, whatever it is, Monkey, I hope you're all right.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Grim on Sat 02/03/2013 03:30:19
I'm on this forum nearly every day and it's killing me that I don't understand what's going on there. Who offended Monkey?
(it was me)

(actually, I don't doubt that it was me)

(I'm serious)

Grim

Ryan, what did you say that had such an impact on him, may I ask?...

Ryan Timothy B

Nah. It likely wasn't me. But I do have an odd sense humor which can easily be read as rude or obnoxious.

I sent him a PM months ago that he never responded to, so it made me wonder. Which is mostly why I was possibly joking or serious about it being me.

Slasher

Well, things can really start taking over your life and every now and then you need to take break away for at least a while.

I have always found monkey ok and compliant.

Good luck Monkey ol' chap  8-)

m0ds

Michael McMonkey, You'll be fine and I'm sure the community will hear from you again. Don't do anything silly!! And enjoy your time away from pc/ags/facebook... there's no denying it can be quite rewarding.

Khris

Since monkey had a link in his signature ("be petty!") leading to a website he set up on which he was basically asking for donations to help finance his being a Mormon missionary, that's why he's off the internet, I presume.

The reason why he's upset, I believe, is that he feels that his contributions to AGS in the form of modules and other resources aren't appreciated as well as they should be, while sometimes stuff by other people is undeservedly so. Case in point: somebody who recently posted in Beginner's Tech was using the verb coin module bundled with AGS coded by Elektroshokker, and monkey feels that it is coded messily and that his template is superior (and I tend to agree on both accounts).

MiteWiseacreLives!

The verb-coin is bundled. So of course we beginners are going to use it until learning how to make what we would like ourselves (or figure out modules).. Monkey would have to just get his version bundled and offend Elektroshokker then Elektroshokker can become a missionary, then I will probably decide to become a Monk because the weight of guilt I will have for ruining the AGS community forever. Then Icey will quit and then no one will ever visit this forum again, ahhhhhh!

Ghost

Together with SSH's modules, monkey's codeworks were my main source of learning some proper AGS scripting. I think some of the tension comes from the engine development section where stuff seems to go at cross purposes most of the time. Sometimes I think that once you get good at clean, well-structured code it can become some sort of obsession (personally I try to write stuff clean, but if it gets messy while still doing what I want, I say screw you, script!)...

Get over it, monkey, enjoy your time out and get some rest- and then come back! You *know* you want to!

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Khris on Sun 03/03/2013 14:58:44
The reason why he's upset, I believe, is that he feels that his contributions to AGS in the form of modules and other resources aren't appreciated as well as they should be

Pfft, If anyone is under appreciated it is a brother right here. Can i get an amen?

Daniel Thomas

I was about to write a long post, but I'll settle with:
Amen!
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Andail

he was basically asking for donations to help finance his being a Mormon missionary

I suddenly love his signature:
To Hell with anyone too lazy to maintain consistent formatting in their code.
Mission: Sinful coders!

Ponch

What the heck? I go away for a weekend and I come back to find Monkey abroad spreading the good word and taking code to the codeless? It's like Dualnames going off to war all over again! Or Ben304 getting a haircut! I don't know what to think anymore! :shocked:

Good luck on your travels, Monkey. Hope to see you back here again one day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk