This time I'm actually being serious, so I'll make a thread here.

Started by monkey0506, Fri 01/03/2013 05:40:58

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 03/03/2013 16:20:15
Together with SSH's modules, monkey's codeworks were my main source of learning some proper AGS scripting.

Thanks for the call out. Of course, I effectively stopped doing anything useful in AGSland except a once-monthly twitter-sized blog post when i feel guilty about not posting for a month. But I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it in advance! So at least Mr Monkey left things in a decent state.

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

monkey0506

Well at least this thread made it to two pages and all that. Nothing to do with a mission, or Mormonism. That particular signature (not the one about coders) was a joke.

It was a long time coming, but there were a lot of AGS-related reasons why I needed a break, and a lot of non-AGS-related reasons.

Of course it's only June, not July.

By and large I didn't accomplish what I set out to do, but I did accomplish a fair bit. So, there is that.

I think that will be my signature for a while.

Regarding the AGS-related reasons, what it all boils down to is that I lost sight of why I came here in the first place. It really is that simple. Somewhere along the line I got so caught up in giving people code that I stopped trying to actually help them become better programmers in lieu of clearing every semi-technical problem thread. And then to make it worse, I got all butthurt when people didn't acknowledge every minuscule snippet I provided for their games.

I honestly feel that I have devoted more time to learning about the functional abilities of AGS than any other single individual. Whether or not that's strictly true isn't really important any more, but I have learned a heck of a lot along the way. There's a few things I'd like to post about in the wiki (basic data types by reference and array decay). I'll get to that at some point.

I will also openly admit (now) that I was rather offended by the whole project administrator fiasco. I started a thread because I had C++ questions, which eventually devolved into a discussion about proper open-source project management. Dave Gilbert was elected by popular vote to be the new project administrator in light of CJ's absence, but he was quickly advised not to do anything, because CJ might be coming back to say something about some other thing. That was around the time a lot of the keys for the site and forums were being handed around, but I still don't understand why nothing* came of all that.

*Of course, thanks to JJS's efforts, the engine development is being pushed forward. I really don't think that I have enough expertise in C++ to be really beneficial here. A lot of what I'm doing in C++ right now involves, essentially reinventing the wheel. C++ code is historically written to be ugly though. This ugliness can introduce a lot of hard to discover bugs or other issues. (Yes, I'm still harping about people being bad coders.) I personally would like to establish an entire framework (native code, not .NET) of utility classes to deal with what I perceive to be a rather serious problem. Most of that won't be of any use to AGS though.

Anyway. I have to go attend to my job. bicilotti, if you read this please PM me.

Calin Leafshade

If i may:

In hindsight it was a mistake to try and prescribe some kind of hierarchy by popular vote. These kinds of things work best as a "do-ocracy" and I think the current system that has arisen organically is probably the best we could've hoped for.

So don't feel bad, everything worked out very well with very capable people in charge.

Ghost

Khris

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sat 01/06/2013 12:40:24Nothing to do with a mission, or Mormonism. That particular signature (not the one about coders) was a joke.
So the google website where you were asking for donations for you being a missionary was also part of the joke? Did or didn't you go try to spread mormonism? And if you didn't, why set up a website about it?

Gribbler

I just want to say this: If it weren't for Monkey's help back in 2006 I would've never made my game. Monkey, I remember you answering my noobish programming questions in a matter of minutes which gave me confidence that this community is really fantastic and helpful. I always knew that there are people like you, SSH or Khris who are willing to guide me in scripting. After 7 years The Bum is out and you are among the first people that I should thank for it, which I rightly so did in the game's credits.

monkey0506

Yes, Ryan. Your love of Java has filled me with an unquenchable hatred for you. :)

Speaking of people I hate...(sarcasm much?) Calin, I absolutely agree in the fullest. About this one thing, only. (roll)

Khris: Yes and no, but the website was a joke in itself. By which I mean I never meant anything to come of it. And it didn't. So. There's that. I understand that a lot of people here would vehemently disagree with them, but my religious beliefs are very important to me. I will discuss them with anyone willing to, but I make a point of not pressing my beliefs on other people. I regularly encourage others to not blindly follow what I tell them.

Gribbler, and the others who have acknowledged me helping them, thank you for your consideration. I honestly do appreciate the recognition, but at the same time one of the things I wanted to accomplish in this hiatus was to break my dependency on it. I'm here because I enjoy being here, and I enjoy using the program, and I enjoy seeing what others are able to make of it. Goodness knows I never made anything useful out of it (hahahaha, just...kidding. I'm not going there).

Grim

Oh, great! So now that you're back, are you going to help people with AGS again? I could use some of that!;)

I PM'ed you before but that was probably during your *afk* time. That, or you just don't like me for whatever reason;) (that's cool if you don't, just saying:P)

ThreeOhFour

Aw man, I've totally missed you being passive-aggressive to everyone including yourself <3

Welcome back man! :D

Khris

monkey0506

I am surprisingly aware of that fact. At some point I had a text document saved on my hard drive where I was going to finish typing my response later.

Fortunately for everyone, I managed to completely corrupt and destroy my entire Windows partition to the point of being unable to recover anything useful from it. Good thing I never back anything up! It was a whole contrived and convoluted story, which I may share at some point. Being as technically inclined as I am, the irony did not fall flat on me.

I also may as well take this opportunity to shamelessly plug my latest wiki entry. :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sat 01/06/2013 12:40:24
I honestly feel that I have devoted more time to learning about the functional abilities of AGS than any other single individual.
This is, in my opinion, a core of the problem. This is scripting language, meant to script games. It does not need to be "researched", experimented with and searched for "hidden" abilities. It should not have anything hidden. It should be improved to have all those abilities right on plate.
Most of the people who use it do not - and should not - care about what is more efficient - to use String or array of chars. They simply must have a way to have a string or array of values, and make games.

If you would take on actually enhancing AGS script, instead of looking for means to use its good features to substitute its bad/missing features, that would be much beneficial to everyone.

Also, I should probably add, that your level of C++ is, in my opinion, less important than your willingless to work. The program is not about C++, it's about algorythms and architecture. If the latter made well, the incorrect usage of certain language features could be then fixed by someone else.

Ryan Timothy B

Hey Monkey, here's your chance to be very useful to me. I posted in your module thread for the TruBlu script. I want the code for getting the true RGB color from an AGS color (instead of AGS's RGB colors). GetTrueColorRGBFromColor. But your download link was broken.

I need this super badly! Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk