RAM Ghost: The Freeware Edition

Started by Ghost, Fri 01/03/2013 08:33:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Whenever a promising indie game is abandoned... whenever a game stops being made... there is a chance that it becomes a RAM Ghost. Technically these tiny spectral beings ARE a game- but no-one cares about them anymore. It's a sad fact that our good old Random Access Memory is chock-full of little ghost games that will never be seen...

Lost Craft presents:
RAM Ghost - an Interactive Casual Sim
(now free)

Adopt a RAM Ghost! With our self-installing Hopelessly Oldfashioned, User-Supported Environment (H.O.U.S.E.), you can lure a bit of abandoned game code into a simulated house. Just like you and me, these ghosts love fun and entertainment, and it's up to you to take care of your little guest. Who knows... maybe you can even make it into the game it was once supposed to be?

The Bake Sale's long gone (but in our hearts there's still that lingering smell of cake), and I am thrilled to re-released RAM Ghost as freeware now. The game is the exact same as sold as part of the Bake Sale, but from now on it's free-for-all, and I can even imagine to work some more on it eventually.

FEATURES:
* simple, relaxing, open-ended gameplay (in the style of "Little Computer People" or "Tamagotchi")
* a customizeable 2 1/2 storey house with 25+ objects to buy and upgrade
* a need-driven, attention-hungry (and somewhat silly) ghost... in your RAM!
* minigames

Find the freeware edition here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1532/

And happy gaming!

Armageddon

Great! I hope more people release their Summer Batch games, I missed them due to not having a credit card at the time. :(

bicilotti

Quote from: Armageddon on Fri 01/03/2013 08:43:01
Great! I hope more people release their Summer Batch games, I missed them due to not having a credit card at the time. :(

I missed them because Linux (and because I am a hobo). I will get in an internet cafe to play this one: I am really excited, it seems really interesting!

DrJone.s

Yai! I have some warm and comfy RAM in my computer for this ghost. :grin:

Ghost

Thanks for the kind responses! I see the game's been downloaded quite a bit, too (minus the Bake-Sale dls), and I hope you guys are having some fun!

DrJone.s

I feel bad because that cute ghost had to leave the house.  :sad:

I also feel proud.  :smiley:

Ghost

Quote from: DrJone.s on Thu 07/03/2013 20:12:44
I feel bad because that cute ghost had to leave the house.  :sad:
I also feel proud.  :smiley:

In that case I reached BOTH of my goals!

Kastchey

I thought I wouldn't replay after releasing my first ghost but there we go, the second ghost is now roaming the house. The sprites are absolutely adorable and damn, I wish I had the skills to code this sort of things..

Still considering the expanded version?

On a side note, I think I have managed to bug the game once by having two events overlap: my ghost was looking at a picture on the wall the moment the night fell, found a (un)lucky dip and that apparently made the game freeze - I had the lucky dip screen, but no cursor and the game would not proceed to the spooks screen.

Ghost

Kastchey, thanks for the details- I think that this is similar to the bug reported in the Hint forums. I hope I can narrow it down and fix it- it seems that overlapping events are a bit fragile, which is why the game tries to avoid them like mad in the first place, and can occasionally cause a crash. I'll upload a fix once I got things sorted out.

And extended version would be fun, but I think it would really only add some new stuff and maybe make the needs a bit more sensible. There were great plans once- several different ghost models, unlockable houses... I can't say how much demand there is for this kind of stuff (especially with Teh Sims around), but it's nice to code something outside the box. I'm always open for ideas, too!

DrJone.s

Allow us to see the ghost scaring the people in the houses! :D

Ghost

Quote from: DrJone.s on Sat 09/03/2013 01:20:53
Allow us to see the ghost scaring the people in the houses! :D
An intriguing idea! (One plan back then was to have a random name generator including some forum names...)

Also, Kastchey was kind enough to whip up some fanart, and I'd like to share it:

[imgzoom]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii203/Kastchey/RAMghostparty_zpsbbd935a9.png[/imgzoom]

I love the little one in the bathroom, but I think I won't be able to go there in the night... for a while.  :P

DrJone.s

I definitely love seeing these ghosts doing "ghost things" around the house.

WHAM

Shameless plug ahoy!

If you want to hear Ghost (and myself) talking about RAM ghost for an hour and a half, check out our video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5IbT5P4rxc

-WHAM
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Stupot

IndieRetroNews

http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/04/ram-ghost-interactive-casual-sim.html

Featured, as promised. Sorry it took so long, needed the availability and got snowed under by developer emails :D
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Ghost

Ah, thank you! It's always nice to see a game featured outside of the forums!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk