MAGS March: "Sidekicks" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Fri 01/03/2013 16:24:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Sidekicks'

This month's guidelines were set by Ponch:

Make a game where the player has a companion. This could be two or more player characters, or an NPC that follows you around and is required to solve puzzles.

Ending 31st March

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This month's winner was KTX-1 by DoorKnobHandle.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link.
âÅ"“ The title of your game.
âÅ"“ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

DoorKnobHandle

I will try my best to get a game done. Additionally, I will stream whenever I work on it! Make yourself known in the stream chat for audience interaction!! :)

Please check out twitch.tv/nihilstarcraft if you want to take a look at my progress or just watch a fellow game maker work! Chances are I'll be on and streaming, if not, you can check the videos I already streamed!

Should be plenty of fun!

Atelier

Cool idea dkh!!

Kasander

Yeah, props for the videos, DKH. It's nice to see fellow AGSer at work! Good luck with your MAGS project :)

Sane Co.

I will be entering this mags as well. First game here i come!

Lewis

Got an idea for this one. Hmmm.
Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

Bulbapuck

I have an idea for this. But I know that it's overly ambitious, and I only have about a week to work on it.
Is it okay to submit a demo? Cause I might be able to do that.

EDIT: It was a nice idea, and I still want to do it. But I got sick and hence didn't even start :p

Ponch

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Tue 05/03/2013 14:25:14
Is it okay to submit a demo? Cause I might be able to do that.
I'm only the guy who picked the theme, so I can't say one way of the other. But as long as it's a playable demo, I don't see why that would be a problem. Heck, my MAGS games are always a lot smaller than I plan them to be.  :-[

Atelier

Sort of nearly half-way through! What have we got so far guys?

DoorKnobHandle

Well, I'm working on my entry of course - which has very little to do with sidekicks so far haha!

Armageddon

Are Bruce Lee side kicks allowed?

Sane Co.

I'm going to have to pull out, not enough time. But look for a release in the near future.

Ponch

Quote from: Sane Co. on Fri 22/03/2013 15:16:40
    I'm going to have to pull out, not enough time. But look for a release in the near future.
Sad to hear you're dropping out. Is anybody making a game for MAGS this month? Or did I just picky a lousy theme?  :-[ :P

DoorKnobHandle

I'm still going strong! I hope I'm not going for a classic win-by-default here, that'd be a shame!

Ghost

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Sat 23/03/2013 13:13:00
I'm still going strong! I hope I'm not going for a classic win-by-default here, that'd be a shame!

Leave it to CHANCE  (laugh) <- ominous

Radiant

I would have loved to make a game where the main character is Captain Amazing, an idiot superhero who charges into lots of trouble, and you play as his sidekick that has to get him out of there. But alas, no time this month.

Perspicacity1

It seems to be a habit that every other month I get emboldened enough to come up with a game well beyond what I know how to do and could probably figure out in a month. But that's not going to stop me from trying it anyway. After a couple days of playtesting I believe I've stomped all major gameplay hindering bugs and made a game that is more or less complete. I've even added a couple instructions screens this time!

Therefore I present my March MAGS entry; The Case of the Festival Filcher.

Download

DoorKnobHandle

It is done! I present to you: KTX-1

selmiak

Miez

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk