Nelly Cootalot II: The Fowl Fleet

Started by Ali, Fri 01/03/2013 22:25:40

Previous topic - Next topic

veryweirdguy

This looks great! I remember loving the first one (might even have to play it again in anticipation of this!) Good work, hope your campaign goes well (I will most certainly contribute if I can!)

DBoyWheeler

Wow!  So far so good on this!  Good luck with this sequel!

mkennedy

Cool! The original was a lot of fun. Pirates are awesome! AAARRR!! Maybe throw in a cameo by Ocean Spirit Denis as some sort of Easter egg?

Snarky

Quote from: Ali on Sat 02/03/2013 14:02:11
Quote from: Snarky on Sat 02/03/2013 10:01:10
There's no way we can talk you out of that shadow effect around the corners, is there?

No! But you will be able to disable it in the menu. I love the way the vignette works on scrolling backgrounds, but perhaps it's too strong on the beach screen...

How do you expect me to get my complaining done when you think of everything?!  >:(

StillInThe90s

Looking forward to this.
Only problem is that my own lifetime project also features airships and vast amounts of lying to strangers with no consequences.

Who is making the lovely backgrounds? Ali?
..and what does the question mark after 'voice acting' mean?

Kasander

The same moment I had this seemingly brilliant idea for a pirate game, you've posted the news of Nelly sequel. I guess I can be glad Nelly II is (more or less) approaching completion ;)

Quote from: Ali on Fri 01/03/2013 22:25:40
I released the original Nelly game in 2007, if the word 'original' can be applied to a pirate-themed adventure game. Back then no one on the AGS forums could grow a beard and 640x480 was considered hi-res. These days the forums are thronged with facial hair, and 640x480 is still considered hi-res.

So true :)

For me, Nelly is one of the faces of AGS. I have very fond memories of playing Spoonbeaks Ahoy!. Also, I'm a fool for all things marine, so this is going to be a must play x 2.

EDIT: What's the resolution? Judging from these screenshots it must be hi-res (640x480 :D ) at least?

Quote from: StillInThe90s on Sun 03/03/2013 01:15:13
Looking forward to this.
Only problem is that my own lifetime project also features airships and vast amounts of lying to strangers with no consequences.

I feel for you.... Now I'm glad I'm pursuing my pirate project for three days only! ;)

m0ds

Great official stuff, nice one Ali! Only took you a year and 3 months to get your shit together ;) But I'm glad you have announced it. It's looked great and felt very promising ever since 'wobbling interior' demo. Rachel voice acting FTW!!

Ghost

I. Am. In. Love. With those screenshots. Really, really unique and sweet. Did you drop the "sailor outfit", though- the one from the demo?

Dualnames

You had me at hello. I've been waiting for this with anxiety and fear, best of luck , dear sir.

Keep at it!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Azure

www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

Crimson Wizard

Finally!

Hmm, I have vague memories of seeing 3d character models in the sequel production thread; or maybe it was a post in Critic's Lounge?. Either these were improved, or changed to 2d ones, and, anyway, they look great. :)

Daniel Thomas

Looks great, love the background design!
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Nikolas

ThreeOhFour

Beautiful style, and it's been too long since Nelly's last adventure.

You have my assurance of a pledge when it comes time to fund this. :)

Ali

Thank you for more nice comments! To answer your further questions:

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 02/03/2013 14:03:26
This screen specifically reminds me of the shop you visit at the start of SoMI, intentional? :)
http://www.nellycootalot.com/wp-content/gallery/nelly_2/nelly2_08.jpg

I'm afraid it's unintentional! Any references you spot to Monkey Island are accidental plagiarism, pure and simple.

Quote from: StillInThe90s on Sun 03/03/2013 01:15:13
..and what does the question mark after 'voice acting' mean?

It means the success or failure of the crowdfunding campaign will influence whether I can do voice acting or not. I really hope I will be able to voice the game, though.

Quote from: Kasander on Sun 03/03/2013 02:45:19
EDIT: What's the resolution? Judging from these screenshots it must be hi-res (640x480 :D ) at least?

It's a shockingly large 800x600 pixels (though the backdrops are 800x650). That was pretty big when I started the game, honestly! Since the backgrounds are mostly complete, I think it's too late to go HD on this one!

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 03/03/2013 16:33:10
Did you drop the "sailor outfit", though- the one from the demo?

The sailor outfit will make an appearance!

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 03/03/2013 19:13:12
Hmm, I have vague memories of seeing 3d character models in the sequel production thread; or maybe it was a post in Critic's Lounge?. Either these were improved, or changed to 2d ones, and, anyway, they look great. :)

The characters are 3D, but cel shaded. I still like the way they look in true 3d (see below), but everyone I spoke to felt the cel shaded look worked better. And I think they were right!

Armageddon

Nelly Cootalot short 3D films, it must be done. In true 3D panavison.

kconan

Awesome...Looks crowd-fund worthy for sure.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

All the extra time you're spending on this seems to be producing results.  If it plays as good as it looks you should have no trouble getting this up on steam!

Peder 🚀

I got my money ready for when the campaign goes live :grin:

Tenacious Stu

I never played the original game, but those screenshots have made me look it up and I'm downloading now! Good luck with the release.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk