Downfall (2009) - now FREE

Started by Grim, Thu 14/05/2009 13:37:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Grim on Sat 13/09/2014 05:49:24
The NEW Downfall is evolving into a very different game - all dialogues are being re-written from scratch, all puzzles re-designed etc. This is the only way I could make it work with (upgraded) TCL interface. A proper GIP thread will appear at some point too ( I want it to have a video trailer and that takes time to do).
This is interesting, I will be looking out for this :).

Shadow1000

I'm enjoying this game but I have one real problem that no one else seems to have reported.

Sometimes the dialogue will just flash on the screen and flash right off before it can be read. This leads to my not knowing what is being said or what's going on in the game and I often have to restore to read the dialogue and sometimes restart the game to rectify this.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what causes it or what I can do to solve it?

SHADOW

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 14/09/2014 17:16:05
Sometimes the dialogue will just flash on the screen and flash right off before it can be read. This leads to my not knowing what is being said or what's going on in the game and I often have to restore to read the dialogue and sometimes restart the game to rectify this.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what causes it or what I can do to solve it?

Hmm, this sounds like the common problem in older AGS games, when the skipping dialog by key or click also made next line be skipped.
If this is the case, I know how to solve this in game script, but for the player, I can only recommend to skip carefully :)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 14/09/2014 17:44:09

Hmm, this sounds like the common problem in older AGS games, when the skipping dialog by key or click also made next line be skipped.
If this is the case, I know how to solve this in game script, but for the player, I can only recommend to skip carefully :)

Well, let me try to not skip any dialogue and see what happens. It seems that once it starts skipping then it won't stop unless I either reload the game (sometimes helps) or quit and restart.

Oh, and another thing that drives me crazy is that sometimes I simply cannot select items from inventory. It seems that scrolling through the inventory (even if I don't have items to the right or left) sometimes corrects this but that might be coincidence.

Thank you for the insight.

SHADOW

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 14/09/2014 17:48:17
Well, let me try to not skip any dialogue and see what happens. It seems that once it starts skipping then it won't stop unless I either reload the game (sometimes helps) or quit and restart.
Hmm, maybe it happens after you Alt+Tab? I recall this bug.

Grim

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 14/09/2014 17:48:17
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 14/09/2014 17:44:09

Oh, and another thing that drives me crazy is that sometimes I simply cannot select items from inventory. It seems that scrolling through the inventory (even if I don't have items to the right or left) sometimes corrects this but that might be coincidence.

Thank you for the insight.

SHADOW

It's the first time I hear about the dialogue skipping, but the inventory bug is something that's plagued the game from day one... After restoring your saved game you have to click on one of the inventory arrows to unlock it. Pretty embarrassing, I know... This is one of the reasons Downfall is getting remade (other than the graphics, the typos, some cliched puzzled etc): back then I didn't have mOds to tell me that it's NOT okay to release such an unpolished game!;) I also didn't think it would get me anywhere... but it did;) And for that reason I will always be fond of it.

Bavolis

I spent a large portion of the day playing through this game and loved every minute of it! The love put into it shows in the extra little details, so a couple of little code hiccups and typos are easy to ignore. There aren't enough creepy point and click games out there (Dark Seed was my favorite), and this one hit the spot just right. I'll probably pick up and play through the Cat Lady next weekend.

Very curious to see what you're doing with the reboot!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Grim on Sun 14/09/2014 20:01:18

... the inventory bug is something that's plagued the game from day one... After restoring your saved game you have to click on one of the inventory arrows to unlock it. Pretty embarrassing, I know...

Why don't we just view using inventory as another puzzle that has to be solved? ;)

SHADOW

Surdy

I hope there are voices & the famous room 666 in the new Downfall, it would be great:grin:

Please let us use the mouse and not the keyboard as the TCL done because it's painful.

Grim

It's gonna be keyboard.

Sorry... ;)

And yes, the voices, the room 666, the cat - they're all in there. You're gonna love, Herve;)

Surdy

Please, don't kill a ritual Mephisto black cat but instead a bunch of puppies - I prefer cats than dogs ;)

Room 666: don't play it an easy way, hide the key somewhere nobody finds out & then put a meeting with the Devil himself that discusses with you but with no good choices to do as a dead end or a bad dream, you can even kill Joe if you want with a gruesome death it would be fantastic ;) Tell Micamic to make a Devil's meeting catchy tune.

Argh, return of the keyboard. Please create a mouse patch! Keyboard is too boring, you play an adventure game not a stupid FPS ;)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Surdy on Sun 28/09/2014 17:33:13
Argh, return of the keyboard. Please create a mouse patch! Keyboard is too boring, you play an adventure game not a stupid FPS ;)

This may be a matter of personal choice, but surprisingly I found TCL keyboard controls perfect for the game, because IMO they added to immersion, making you feel more tied to main character. :)

On other hand I guess alternate mouse option is not that difficult to add. Not me to decide, of course.

Frodo

Quote from: Mods on Fri 12/09/2014 15:05:32
It'll appear as free at the official website, which will be updated with info about the remake very soon:
www.quiethavenhotel.co.uk

Um, this still isn't showing as free on the official website.  It still has the links to buy it, but when I click on the links, it says 'Out Of Stock'. 
Is it something I'm missing?   :confused:

m0ds

Mm, no update to the site yet sorry. Use the db link for now :)

Frodo

Frodo

I<3Pindorama!

What a great surprise!
It looks like a really spectacular game!
Eager to know this madness ...

Congratulations, Grim!
A little late, it is true ...
But anxiously sincere!

Grim

Thanks for such a great review;)

I actually want to remake that ending song as well (though I've long accepted that I'm pretty much tone deaf and shouldn't sing ever again). Maybe make a slower piano+vocals version;)

Slasher

Hi,

I see this game is full of blood and gore...

It seems popular enough, must be gore fans around (laugh)

Love the trailer (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk