starting a game via the command line

Started by selmiak, Sun 31/03/2013 02:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

is it possible to start a game via the command line to bypass the winsetup? I found nothing in the the help, forum and wiki but I think I've seen it somewhere.

I tried playing Platformerius, but the game page linked to a broken site that was even blacklisted in firefox  8-0. the archive i finally found on the ags archives behaved strange when extracting and didn't have a winsetup. And when running the game exe i get this:

Then again I wouldn't know to what graphics setting I should set the game if 320x200 doesn't work.
maybe the fitting winsetup for this game might help, if there ever was one.

I don't know if this is the correct forum, so I added a question about the command line to the start :D

Khris

All winsetup does is call the game's exe with --setup added.
From the command line, do "game.exe --setup" and you can change it to run windowed.

You can also try running the game with a newer engine. Rename the exe file to "ac2game.dat", copy acwin.exe from AGS 2.72 into the folder, then run it with the setup parameter: "acwin --setup"

selmiak

the first method gave me this nice new error message

while the second method gave me the same error message as in my first post, except there was an older icon used >_>

so can I say my graphics card doesn't like old AGS games?

Crimson Wizard

Hmm. Did you try deleting the existing config file?
I will check this later too.

selmiak

haha, CW you're great (except I did the exact opposite). There was no config file at all, and there was none created by running the setup in the most peculiar ways, so I just copied a config file from another AGS game over and now it works :D

And I am so very much disappointed from the game through. All this fiddeling for this? :angry:

arj0n

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 06/04/2013 19:21:40
so I just copied a config file from another AGS game over and now it works :D
That's what I usually do to get such older games to work, using a new config with default settings.

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 06/04/2013 19:21:40
And I am so very much disappointed from the game through. All this fiddeling for this? :angry:
Then you can still check out PlaTENG (Platform TileENGine)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk