AGS 3.3.0 Release Candidate

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 04/04/2013 19:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 02/07/2013 08:16:10
Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Tue 02/07/2013 05:06:33
eNoKey doesn't follow the naming convention of every other member of the same enumerated class.
Yes, that's true... but it was a deliberate choice.
When I first made eKeyNone I paid attention that it appears in the middle of the autocomplete list; also its compliance with other key enums make it not stand out at it should be, being a special value. IMHO.

Seeing as (AFAIK) the autocomplete list is alphabetically sorted, wouldn't eNoKey actually be just as bad, being at the end of the list? As far as "standing out" because it's a "special value", I don't particularly agree with this. Just because on_key_press wouldn't be called with eKeyNone doesn't mean (IMO) that the naming convention should be thrown out the window. If we were to provide enum values for Left Shift, Right Shift, Left Ctrl, Right Ctrl, Alt, and Gr Alt, should those enums be given totally unrelated names? I think that we should provide eKey* enum values for all of these, and just add an additional note that eKeyNone is never called by on_key_press. In fact, it might make sense to allow IsKeyPressed(eKeyNone) to verify that no keys are currently pressed. Or perhaps an alternate function, but I think the usage makes sense (and follows the existing usage pattern).

I was going to say that the SkipSpeech enum wasn't needed, but I was thinking of the CutsceneSkipType enum, which doesn't exactly match the skip styles offered by/to speech. Might it be worthwhile to normalize these skip styles and then provide a common enum "SkipType" or "SkipStyle"?
Might be, but I don't know how to do this. Some of them options are not fit for other style: e.g. "skip by time" is non-sensical for Cutscenes, while "skip by escape" may be implemented as "skip by key" + special skip key for Speech.

Well I see no reason to only allow cutscenes to be skipped by Escape. I think that's a logical default, but it could be made assignable. I agree that "skip by time" would be a nonsensical name for skipping cutscenes. I'm not fixated on this, it was just a passing thought. If we can't decide on a reasonable way of combining them, then just skip it. :P

Ultimately the goal was, is, and should be to finish what CJ started in OO-izing the language This is the reason why I insist that anything new should follow the new style. If you disagree,
Of course I don't disagree.

Yeah, yeah, I know. ;) I just think it would be better to "upgrade" as we go instead of trying to do the entire thing in one step. We can tweak it if we need to...I mean this is a learning experience for everyone. But again, you're the one implementing it, not me. So do what you're comfortable with. :P

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Tue 02/07/2013 19:59:42
Edit: Now the game/engine crashed when debugging, but no error message.

Aaaargh! Don't know how I missed this, but the breakpoint system is disabled on the engine side. And the Editor does not expect this turn of events and continues to wait for response endlessly. That's why it gets "frozen" as soon as you set a break point in script.

cat

Is this going to be reenabled? Without object inspection this feature was not as useful as it could be, but useful nonetheless.
If not, it might be a good idea to disable it in the editor, too.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Wed 03/07/2013 14:05:14
Is this going to be reenabled? Without object inspection this feature was not as useful as it could be, but useful nonetheless.
If not, it might be a good idea to disable it in the editor, too.
Of course this is going to be reenabled! This seem to be an old hack made when the engine was ported to mobile platforms.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Built my MAGS game with 3.3.01, had crashes similar to what Cat described. It had to do with switching between rooms, very sporadic and couldn't pinpoint it (mostly after a long stretch of work though). I began to think I had some bad memory issues on my old computer, so I didn't post.

Crimson Wizard

Do any of you have a crash dump maybe?

cat

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 03/07/2013 18:10:18

Where do I find it? Or do you mean the text of the messagebox?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Wed 03/07/2013 19:51:43
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 03/07/2013 18:10:18

Where do I find it? Or do you mean the text of the messagebox?
If there was one created is should be either in compiled game folder, or, if you ran the game from editor, in the game folder (near Game.agf).
File is called something like "CrashInfo***.dmp".

E: I will also need to know precise version of the engine. Either check in agsgame.log (created in same folder) or Ctrl+V in game.

cat

Just had another crash, this time while clicking the "Run" button. Then I closed the Editor and opened it again and I could start without problems.

Version from last agsgame.log: ACI version 3.3.0.1134

Errormessage:

Error: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Version: AGS 3.3.0.1132

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at load_room_file(SByte* )
   at load_crm_file(UnloadedRoom roomToLoad)
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.LoadRoomFile(UnloadedRoom roomToLoad)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadNewRoomIntoMemory(UnloadedRoom newRoom, CompileMessages errors)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.RecompileAnyRoomsWhereTheScriptHasChanged(CompileMessages errors, Boolean rebuildAll)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.AGSEditor_PreCompileGame(PreCompileGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.PreCompileGameHandler.Invoke(PreCompileGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild, Boolean createMiniExeForDebug)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolBarManager.ToolbarEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolStripExtended.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Crimson Wizard

This is something serious :(.
Can you send me your game project so that I could look under debugger?

cat

This is my OROW project, so not until the voting results are revealed  :)

Also it doesn't always happen. After restarting the Editor I started the game several times without problems... I don't know how to reproduce the issue.

Edit: I have a small wish for the editor: Would it be possible to enable the search window shortcut also when a non-code window is open? Sometimes I want to find code usages of a gui control without opening a random code file first...

MiteWiseacreLives!

My experience has been identical to cat s .. when i get home i'll look for crash dumps and contact you. no prob if you want my project.

Crimson Wizard

I still wish I had some information on those crashes before making next build.
Any ideas on which sequence of actions cause it?
Maybe some project that crashes often?

cat

I upgraded to Beta5 two days ago I think, and had no crashes. But that doesn't mean anything I guess. I'll keep you informed about any issues I have.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Sun 07/07/2013 15:45:00
I upgraded to Beta5 two days ago I think, and had no crashes. But that doesn't mean anything I guess. I'll keep you informed about any issues I have.
I hope it won't cause any problems with OROW participation. ;)

MiteWiseacreLives!

Can't find any dump files, I will pay attention to what I'm doing going foreword. Most crashes occurred after running for a couple hours, attempting to open another room while one is still open (you get the 'do you want to close this room' message) then it encounters the error. I can still save, and nothing gets lost??

Snarky

Bug report: I moved the explorer tree to the right side. The next time I started the editor, it had disappeared. (I'm not sure whether it didn't show up at all, or had turned into a tab I didn't notice.) I turned off and on the properties, and it came back.

I'm using the zip-file distribution of the latest build.

Ghost

Starting a new game in Beta5, using Default template, gives the following error right after the project is created:
Error (Line 19) Undefined token 'SetVoiceMode'.
Like Snarky, I am using the latest zip.

Clearly not an AGS bug, just an error in GlobalScript, and easy to fix, but should be cleaned up  (nod)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 08/07/2013 22:37:27
Error (Line 19) Undefined token 'SetVoiceMode'.

Read the "warning" section please: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47966.msg636460071#msg636460071

Yes, I will have to update templates.

Ghost

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 08/07/2013 22:38:46
Read the "warning" section please: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47966.msg636460071#msg636460071

I did read that warning, but it's the default template that includes those lines and throws the error.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk