AGS 3.3.0 Release Candidate

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 04/04/2013 19:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMagician

First post in a while - for the first update in a while :)

It's great to see things moving forward. Thanks to everyone involved.

Calin Leafshade

This version seems to crash when using the Lua plugin and the project has a GUI.

I'm assuming this is because the GUI storage has been changed and the lua plugin is trying to access something that is no longer there.

the error is:

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00456A84 ; program pointer is -23, ACI version 3.3.0.1130, gtags (0,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

Any insights?

JJS

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sat 25/05/2013 07:33:02This version seems to crash when using the Lua plugin and the project has a GUI.
The issue is probably fixed with this commit.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Calin Leafshade

Tried the latest daily build and that seems to have fixed it, thanks.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sat 25/05/2013 07:33:02
I'm assuming this is because the GUI storage has been changed and the lua plugin is trying to access something that is no longer there.
No, storage did not change, that was my intent not to change any serialized format before next version (3.3.1 or whatever).
The "translated" flag for ListBox is kept in the general Gui Object flags variable (which still has some free bits), and the global GUI alpha rendering option is an int, which may be used as enum.

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.3.0 BETA 2 released (engine version 3.3.0.1132)
-------------------------------------------------------
Changes from BETA 1:

Features:
- Added "Translated" property to ListBox gui control, which forces engine to translate ListBox items. Default is True. Set to False if you are using ListBox for listing savegames. NOTE: when older projects are imported, it is set to False automatically.
- Added new option for gui alpha blending which mixes alpha values and blends GUI Control color with regard to its alpha. Option is named "Multiplied Translucence, Blend Source Color" - because that's what it does (better name anyone?). The old "AdditiveOpacity" option is renamed to "Additive Opacity, Copy Source Color". The default for new projects is "Multiplied Translucence, Blend Source Color".
Also fixed inventory items with alpha channel not being drawn properly.
- Added "Reload sprite from source" command to Sprite Manager's context menu (by Calin Leafshade).

Bug fixes:
- Fixed incorrect selection of a new sprite, imported while the "Select sprite" dialog is open.
- Set last script's save time at the save end rather than before the save, in case file writing takes significant time.
- Fixed new script created without focusing on naming the script (which does not let to type in script name right away).
- Fixed context menu which did not appear when user right clicks on a script with a dot in their name.
- Fixed AGS "char" type treating its value as "signed" instead of "unsigned" (bug introduced in 3.3.0 beta 1)
- Numerous port fixes and optimizations by JJS.

Download links (also updated at first page):
Official: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/betas/AGS-3.3.0.exe
Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/e15ehe97l425lh6/AGS-3.3.0.exe

Billbis

Quote from: Crimson WizardAlso fixed inventory items with alpha channel not being drawn properly.
Hourra! :)

Crimson Wizard

tzachs, it appears that setting script save time at the end of the file writing made things worse.

The problem is that file change now is being detected even before file writing finishes, and it uses previously remembered save time. By reverting this change I got rid of the error I was having.

Thinking on DiPerla's problem though, I decided to emulate long file opening time by simply putting "Sleep" call in the script writing function. This led to similar results.
I am thinking that this may be solved by introducing new variable set to a name of a script we are about to write and reset when file writing has ended.
When file changes are checked, this file should be ignored.
What do you think?

E: To clarify, I mean set the serialized script name before opening file, and set script save time after writing.
EE: Or rather not the script name, but add a "IsBeingSaved" flag to script object. This will work even if several scripts are saved at the same time.

Other thing. I noticed there's now an annoying blinking in the script window when the script's "modified" state changes, i.e.:
- first edit is made to the text;
- the changes are fully Undo-ed;
- script is saved.
It looks like panel is repositioned and/or repainted.

Monsieur OUXX

BUG REPORT : Quick launch icon

I just installed 3.3.0 from http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/betas/AGS-3.3.0.exe
I checked "create quick launch icon". I have XP home edition (in French)
An icon does get created in the Quick Launch bar, but it doesn't have the AGS icon (instead it has Windows' generic "program" icon), it's called "My Program", and points to "C:\Program Files\Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0\MyProg.exe".

It seems to me that someone forgot to change the default settings of the installer designer.

BUG REPORT : file modified externally

Every now and then (actually, way too often not to be incredibly annoying), I get the following message when I hit Ctrl+S to save the game:
"The file <script file on which I'm working> has been modified externally. Do you want to reload it?" <Yes> <No>
However I'm just working with the regular embedded Editor.
Whenever I press "Yes", the file gets reloaded and... the cursor skips back to the first line.  :angry:

I have no idea what could cause this, but my system is a bit slow: Could the syntax highlighter's execution thread be a bit too slow to update the contents of the text window (the one containing the source code), thus messing up with the timestamps, and thus causing another AGS thread to believe that someone else modified the files?

BUG REPORT : crash caused by conflicting pop-up window
Unfortunately I don't have the crash report for that, but I suspect this is a side effect of the previous bug (above). When there are two pop-up windows conflicting to be displayed at the same time, it causes the whole Editor to throw an exception and kinda crash (I wrote "kinda" because the Editor doesn't completely crash, you can pretend nothign happened and continue working)

Dhelayan

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 31/05/2013 10:18:03

Every now and then (actually, way too often not to be incredibly annoying), I get the following message when I hit Ctrl+S to save the game:
"The file <script file on which I'm working> has been modified externally. Do you want to reload it?" <Yes> <No>
However I'm just working with the regular embedded Editor.
Whenever I press "Yes", the file gets reloaded and... the cursor skips back to the first line.  :angry:

I have no idea what could cause this, but my system is a bit slow: Could the syntax highlighter's execution thread be a bit too slow to update the contents of the text window (the one containing the source code), thus messing up with the timestamps, and thus causing another AGS thread to believe that someone else modified the files?

I can confirm that bug! I have a pretty fast machine, no idea if that changes anything..But i have the same message everytime i update the GlobalScript and start the game

Stee

<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dhelayan on Sat 01/06/2013 14:37:34
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 31/05/2013 10:18:03
I can confirm that bug! I have a pretty fast machine, no idea if that changes anything..But i have the same message everytime i update the GlobalScript and start the game

That was the bug I was writing one post above :).
Sorry! We will fix this soon and upload new version.

tzachs, if you are reading this, are you planning on fixing this or left it for me?

monkey0506

Other than bug fixes, are there any outstanding items for this release to be made official?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sun 02/06/2013 19:53:07
Other than bug fixes, are there any outstanding items for this release to be made official?
Lol, good question (although not sure which fixes are that).
I think whole release planning went wrong and bit silly. So I'll just be adding more stuff for some more time until there's more new content. There are few good features being under development right away, planned for next version, but we may as well finish them and put everything in 3.3.0.

Crimson Wizard

New bug, a "funny" one.
Adding or removing ONE symbol in unmodified script and then saving makes the cursor reposition to the beginning of the file.
This happens only if only ONE symbol is added or removed before saving. It does not happen if I select a symbol and replace it with another.

Does not occur in 3.2.1.

PS. I will upload a version with fixed "file changed externally" problem soon.

frybread

I signed up to thank you guys for keeping AGS alive.  This is legendary software, and you are legends for working on it.

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.3.0 BETA 3 released (engine version unmodified - 3.3.0.1132)
-------------------------------------------------------
This is a Hot-Fix for Beta 2.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed improper detection of external script modifications which would trigger when script is saved in the editor.
- Fixed Editor's quick-launch icon (in program setup).

Download links (also updated at first page):
Official: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/betas/AGS-3.3.0-beta3.exe

I would like to know if that fixed DiPerla's problem with scripts too.

Crimson Wizard

I would like to hear people's opinion on something.

In parallel to the updates to this Beta I was working further on rewriting parts of the engine, and in latest state this parallel branch of development is potentially capable of having some or all of the limits removed + some interesting features added, such as changing Custom Properties at runtime.
So, question is, should I put it to this Beta or leave for the next release. Thing is that this newer version of the code has significant changes, and totally new savedgame format. Which means that applying those changes to the 3.3 beta will increase the test period required to become sure it is stable enough to release officially.

In other words, do you think that this Beta in its current state has enough new features to be wanted as a final release (perhaps, with few more minor improvements), or you'd rather wait more to get more stuff?

E: Of course, nothing prevents people from using those Beta versions to make their games (I know few do already), but most will be reluctant to do so.

Stee

I know I will probably get out voted on this, but I think it should be postponed to the next beta. Things like a new save game format are features that could potentially destroy backwards compatibility.

To me the features you are outlining in your parallel branch sound like major changes that would require a major revision release (ie 3.4.0). I'd rather see some more smaller enhancements to 3.3.0 so that we can have a new final build that everyone can use, and some more magic features in the parallel branch. To be honest I think there has been enough visible changes on the editor side (unfortunately the side most people would notice) to warrant 3.3.0 feature complete.

There's nothing stopping you from releasing another beta the minute you have a Release Candidate  :)
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Stee on Sun 09/06/2013 13:34:54
Things like a new save game format are features that could potentially destroy backwards compatibility.
Well, this one is not the issue. The engine we have now can load old games as far as of version 2.5, and I left the code which loads 3.2.1 savegames to make it easier for port users to move to the new version.

Quote from: Stee on Sun 09/06/2013 13:34:54
There's nothing stopping you from releasing another beta the minute you have a Release Candidate  :)
Right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk