AGS 3.3.0 Release Candidate

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 04/04/2013 19:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 14/01/2014 18:34:49
Moving setup to script is something beyond my understanding... unless someone elaborates on that.
Give me a few days to think about it and I'll write a ticket about it (for 3.4) in the ticket database; that seems the best place to work it out further.

Regarding moving controls... I guess it's possible, if no one objects. Winsetup is an ugly WinAPI code, that I hope will be rewritten from scratch (or completely moved out of AGS and use some modern GUI library), but moving these controls around window should be easy.
Thanks. Well there's a few people up in the thread that appear to agree, at least. The experiment with including no winsetup with HQ shows that the primary options people are looking for are fullscreen, filter, and language; leading to a straightforward setup like this, with everything else appearing under 'advanced' for the AGS regulars. I think this is a fair tradeoff that gives new users a clear list of common options, and still allows the advanced users to find what they need after just one more click.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Billbis on Sat 14/12/2013 10:28:56
Just signaling a minor editor bug:
1. Open a project
2. Double click on Sprite
3. Expend GUIs and double click on a GUI
4. Close the open GUI panel
5. Close the Sprite panel
6. Double click on Sprite: the Sprite panel won't open anymore.

There's a reason little details are important. Took me a while to reproduce this ;). This only occurs if you close panels by pressing X button in the top-right corner. This does not occur if you right-click on pane name and select "close pane" in context menu.

Upon testing bit more I came with this more general description:

1. When panels are closed by pressing X button in their top-right corner it may become so that the pane that was closed last stops showing up again. This happens with ANY combination of panels.
2. If, after this happened, you open any other pane and immediately close it (again, using X), the "missing" pane will re-appear. Furthermore, if you close that, previously missing pane, and open any other pane again and close it, the "missing" pane will appear again, even though you never tried to open it again.

It looks to me that something is bugged in the way how X button works. Perhaps it does not remove the pane from opened panes list, but merely makes them invisible?

I would like to also point out to the strange ordering of the pane tabs. When the new pane is opened, sometime it appears last, sometimes first, sometimes in the middle of the existing tabs. Probably there's some rule there, but I could not recognize the pattern yet.

Snarky

Sorry to provide another vague bug report, but I recently experienced getting the editor into a state where the active tab was for one room, but the properties pane was for another. That got rather confusing. I'm not sure about the sequence of actions that led to this.

tzachs

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 15/01/2014 10:23:27
Quote from: Billbis on Sat 14/12/2013 10:28:56
Just signaling a minor editor bug:
1. Open a project
2. Double click on Sprite
3. Expend GUIs and double click on a GUI
4. Close the open GUI panel
5. Close the Sprite panel
6. Double click on Sprite: the Sprite panel won't open anymore.

There's a reason little details are important. Took me a while to reproduce this ;). This only occurs if you close panels by pressing X button in the top-right corner. This does not occur if you right-click on pane name and select "close pane" in context menu.

Upon testing bit more I came with this more general description:

1. When panels are closed by pressing X button in their top-right corner it may become so that the pane that was closed last stops showing up again. This happens with ANY combination of panels.
2. If, after this happened, you open any other pane and immediately close it (again, using X), the "missing" pane will re-appear. Furthermore, if you close that, previously missing pane, and open any other pane again and close it, the "missing" pane will appear again, even though you never tried to open it again.

Thanks for the detailed description, fixed (in 3.3 branch).

The Suitor

I'm not sure if this has been asked about before (I tried searching the forums), and it may only be my system, but I get this error when trying to open the editor:

QuoteAn unexpected error occurred trying to start up the AGS Editor. Please consult the details below and post the error to the AGS Technical Forum.

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'AGS.Native, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

File name: 'AGS.Native, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy..ctor()

at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy.get_Instance()

at AGS.Editor.ApplicationController..ctor()

at AGS.Editor.Program.startupTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I'm using Windows XP SP3, and have .Net 4 installed. My Windows 7 and 8 PCs have no problem at all.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: The Suitor on Mon 20/01/2014 16:07:53
I'm using Windows XP SP3, and have .Net 4 installed.
You need .Net 2.0, or 3.5 installed (which also includes 2.0). AFAIK .Net 4 does not include 2.0.
Other than that... not sure what may be the problem.

The Suitor

Hmm, I had both 2.0 and 3.5 installed. So, I uninstalled all .Net versions (2.0, 3.5, 4.0), and then reinstalled only 2.0, and it's still giving me the same error.

By the way, 3.2.1 works flawlessly.

I suppose it's not such a big deal, since it's very likely that most people will stop using XP pretty soon anyway. :smiley: (If that's the problem)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: The Suitor on Mon 20/01/2014 19:08:23
I suppose it's not such a big deal, since it's very likely that most people will stop using XP pretty soon anyway. :smiley: (If that's the problem)
No... it is a pretty big deal actually :-\. It must work on XP.
Just to clarify, did you download the Editor by the link on the first post of this thread?
Does anyone else have this problem on XP?

UPD: I am testing WinXP Professional SP3 on the virtual machine.
I have installed:
- Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0.1152 (beta 12);
- .Net Framework 1.1;
- .Net Framework 2.0 SP2;
- VC Redistributable 2005;
- VC Redistributable 2008;
- VC Redistributable 2010;
- VC Redistributable 2012;
- MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser.

The Suitor

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 20/01/2014 19:32:32
Just to clarify, did you download the Editor by the link on the first post of this thread?
Yes I did, I tried both the zip and the installer. (nod)

EDIT TO ADD:

Does anyone else have this problem on XP?
I also should note, that the same thing happens on my other XP SP3 pc. Totally different system.

No... it is a pretty big deal actually :-\. It must work on XP.
I'm glad you think this way. I'm far from giving up XP as a workstation. 8-)

Adeel

Seeing The Suitor's problem, I decided to try beta on my system too. I'm using WinXP SP 3, Microsoft .Net Framework Version 2.0 SP1 and I'm getting the same error as The Suitor:

Spoiler

---------------------------
Error
An unexpected error occurred trying to start up the AGS Editor. Please consult the details below and post the error to the AGS Technical Forum.

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'AGS.Native, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

File name: 'AGS.Native, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy..ctor()

at AGS.Editor.ApplicationController..ctor()

at AGS.Editor.Program.startupTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

OK   

[close]

Also, I've noticed that AGS Editor's process doesn't really end at all. If you open the task manager, you can see AGSEditor.exe still present there. Also, the splash doesn't disappear too and doesn't respond to clicks of any sort.

Radiant

We've received the following bug report for Heroine's Quest,

"I have performance issues with this game (I have a fairly powerful computer that runs modern AAA titles easily).

Basically my CPU sounds like it's chugging away the entire time the game is playing. When I'm going around on the normal screens it's MOSTLY fine. Where performance really takes a hit is during dialog. When I have to select my next line of dialog, the mouse gets very unresponsive and it's difficult to aim at a given option.

I have Vista x64 and a GeForce GTX 260 (if I remember correctly)."

Crimson Wizard

@The Suitor, Adeel S. Ahmed,
do you have any Visual C++ Redistributable packages installed on your system?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 21/01/2014 20:26:49
"I have performance issues with this game (I have a fairly powerful computer that runs modern AAA titles easily).

Basically my CPU sounds like it's chugging away the entire time the game is playing."

Is he using DirectX 5 or Direct3D renderer?

Adeel

No sir, I don't have any Visual C++ Redistributable packages installed. I'll install it as soon as I find time to use my pc (writing this from cell phone at the moment).

Which version of C++ Redistributable package should I install, though?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 22/01/2014 08:53:47
Which version of C++ Redistributable package should I install, though?
I think it should be VC90 (2008).
Strange thing is, though, that the library is distributed with AGS and lies in its folder... I wonder if it now requires different version of library...

Adeel

Another question for you: Which Visual Studio's version and/or year are you using to develop AGS?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 22/01/2014 12:54:30
Another question for you: Which Visual Studio's version and/or year are you using to develop AGS?
Visual Studio 9 (2008) is used to build AGS.Native.dll.
In theory one can use any higher version to work with the rest of Editor.

Adeel

IIRC, someone mentioned developing AGS with VS 2012. Perhaps the development of same program in two different VS versions produced some conflict. Just my careful guess....

E: Yesterday, I were reading the .NET Framework 3.5 page. There, in the instructions, it was told to immediately install the either of the two updates, after downloading the framework. One of the two updates fixes the application compatibility problem on XP (iirc). Perhaps, this is the solution to my problem. I'm downloading .net framework 3.5 at the moment.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 22/01/2014 13:12:04
IIRC, someone mentioned developing AGS with VS 2012. Perhaps the development of same program in two different VS versions produced some conflict. Just my careful guess....

Only C# libraries can be developed with 2012 (and 2010), and they do not require VC runtime libraries. Only AGS.Native.dll does.

I run a special utility for AGS.Native.dll from beta package that displays dependencies. It requires MSVCR90.dll and MSVCM90.dll.

The Suitor

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 22/01/2014 07:43:58
@The Suitor, Adeel S. Ahmed,
do you have any Visual C++ Redistributable packages installed on your system?

I have every one of them installed that you had listed. Still the same.

- Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0.1152 (beta 12);
- .Net Framework 1.1;
- .Net Framework 2.0 SP2;
- VC Redistributable 2005;
- VC Redistributable 2008;
- VC Redistributable 2010;
- VC Redistributable 2012;
- MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk