AGS 3.3.0 Release Candidate

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 04/04/2013 19:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Link to zip file gets me a 404... :cry:

__
Thanks jug!

Adeel

Hmm, AGS 3.3.0 RC 1 is running smoothly on my pc. It's quite nice to not to see the beta warning and I now feel very comfortable. :)

The UI is simply excellent. The ability to create folders has now enabled me to properly organize my scripts and views which was not the case previously. I like the more powerful debugger. The ability to update sprites, if the source sprite is updated, saved me quite some time and one of the most useful feature. Another feature I really appreciated was the Editor refusing to delete a sprite if it's already in use. Perhaps its just me but I've noticed the '_Debug game' is now running more faster than before. The updated manual looks very professional and precisely mentions the new updates in the release along with the explanation of new additions Speech Class.

I can go on and on, praising this piece of beauty, but I'll stop for now. :) This is the best AGS release by far and I feel very confident to expect even more powerful and better version in near future!

Good Job Dev Team, keep it up! ;-D

AGD2

A couple of funky errors I received with the RC today:

1) At one point I was deleting, replacing, and adding a bunch of music files. I hit F7 to save and the game compiled. But when it finished, it gave me this error:

Unexpected error: The process cannot access the file 'C:\AGS8\Mages Initiation\game28.dta' because it is being used by another process.

Exiting the editor and re-opening was enough to resolve the issue.

2) A more serious one. I double-clicked a view which contained only blue cup sprites in loop 0. Instead of the view opening, I received this error message:

A serious error occurred and the AGS Editor may now be in an unstable state. You are STRONGLY ADVISED to shut down the editor and restart it. Before saving your work, make a backup copy of your game folder in case any data has been corrupted.

I closed the editor without saving the game. Re-opened it and kept getting the same message every time the editor loaded up (but before it allowed me to choose a game to load). It looked like all the panels etc. had been compacted into a small square in the upper-left corner of the editor and the rest of the screen was just grey. The AGS editor files had somehow been corrupted. The only way to open any games in the editor was to re-extract fresh files from the zip, overwriting the corrupted ones. Unfortunately, the error message didn't go into any further details than what's stated above...

Billbis

Quote from: Crimson WizardAlso please tell if you are OK with new winsetup.
I'm OK with the new winsetup. :)
It's far clearer like this.
No problem with compiling and completing my projects with this RC so far. Great job!

tzachs

Quote from: AGD2 on Tue 28/01/2014 23:59:29
A serious error occurred and the AGS Editor may now be in an unstable state. You are STRONGLY ADVISED to shut down the editor and restart it. Before saving your work, make a backup copy of your game folder in case any data has been corrupted.
Weird. You should have seen a dialog before that error, that shows the actual error...
Anyways, I've added the actual error to this message as well, so once a new version is released if you'll reproduce the issue you'll have more information to show us.

Adeel

I've noticed a glitch and/or bug:

If you make a scripting error (such as null pointer referenced), the Editor will run the game to the point it reaches the null pointer reference, shows an error message and the message will disappear once "I've finished examining this error, close the game' button is clicked.  Then, if you manually open the Call Stack window and double click on the line shown on it. The Editor will point you to the 'faulty' line and will display an error just as expected. But after that, the status of the editor changes to '[Debugging] Game Name' (even though there's no game being run). Clicking on Pause and/or Stop button doesn't help as well.

See this:
Spoiler

Here, joke is an audio channel pointer and is kept null intentionally.
[close]

Another bug/glitch I noticed, while tracing the above mentioned glitch/bug, the Editor will run the game to the point it reaches the null pointer reference, shows an error message and the message will disappear once "I've finished examining this error, close the game' button is clicked. But once the editor quits the game: the output, call stack and find results windows get closed automatically as well.

cat

Finally! Congrats and thanks to everyone working on this new AGS version. Setup was ok for me.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 29/01/2014 20:08:37
the Editor will run the game to the point it reaches the null pointer reference, shows an error message and the message will disappear once "I've finished examining this error, close the game' button is clicked.  Then, if you manually open the Call Stack window and double click on the line shown on it. The Editor will point you to the 'faulty' line and will display an error just as expected.

The problem is (perhaps) that the call stack is not cleared as soon as debugging is finished. You should not see callstack when the program is not running, this makes no sense.
At least not in current debugger implementation. It only worked for you because editor keeps some data saved for a while, but that's sort of bug exploit.

Adeel

I normally can't see anything in call stack window, once I stop debugging. But this case is exceptional. Also, I forgot to mention that this bug can be 'overcome' by restarting the Editor after closing it.

Crosco

Download................................PASSED
Installation..............................PASSED
Game conversion from 3.2.1...PASSED
Compiling game......................PASSED
Running game.........................PASSED
Detecting bugs.......................FAILED

Thank you. :)

AGD2

Quote from: tzachs on Wed 29/01/2014 19:06:49
Weird. You should have seen a dialog before that error, that shows the actual error...
Anyways, I've added the actual error to this message as well, so once a new version is released if you'll reproduce the issue you'll have more information to show us.

Shortly after posting that, I realized a few other programs I opened new files or documents in also failed the action ("the program cannot create a new blank document" and similar error messages). It crashed about 5 times in AGS within the space of 20 minutes when I got that previous message I posted. But I've been testing several more days now, and I have yet to see the crash occur again. So I guess it was just some strange quirk or memory hiccup my computer was experiencing at the time. Haven't seen it once after rebooting a few days back.

Crosco

I detected an issue with the cursor position when deleting a whole line and saving the file afterwards.

How to reproduce:

1) Implement a function at the end of an .asc file containing already some functions. e.g.:
function myFunction()
{
}

2) Add two new lines into the body by pressing "ENTER" two times.
As a result the cursor is now positioned at the second empty line.

3) Save the file via "CTRL" + "S".

4) Press "Shift" + "Cursor Up" to mark the whole line until same position in line above.

5) Press "Del" to remove the line.

6) Save the file via "CTRL" + "S".
As a side effect the cursor position was moved several lines upwards.

Beside this it would also be great if the already opened "Find and replace" window would overtake a new text markup when pressing "CTRL" + "F" once again.

Radiant

This has been working fine for us. Nice work!

Radiant

Minor interface bug: I would expect control+tab (and shift+control+tab) to move to the next (resp. previous) tab, exactly like how that works in Visual Studio or in my web browser. But that doesn't work for script tabs; for some reason, for any script tab I have to press those keys twice to get to the next tab. This makes editing with the keyboard rather inconvenient at times, and in certain situations makes control-W close the previous tab rather than the currently visible one.

Related feature request: control+1 should switch to the first open tab, control+2 to the second, and so forth.

Radiant

Another minor interface bug: when editing a script and you press control-G (for go-to-line), then the dialog box that pops up should have its current text selected. This is so that you can start typing a line number (1234) immediately and it will overwrite what's already there; this is consistent with how it works in e.g. Visual Studio. Also, the display in this dialog box has comma separators for thousands set, and it probably shouldn't. $.02.

abstauber

Two editor related  things I've noticed:

1) When I save a script (ash or asc), the undo-history for that file is gone afterwards
2) I alter the font size inside the editor via CTRL-mousewheel. After saving a file, the font size will be reset to the old size.

Sorry if this has already been reported, I admit I haven't read through the whole thread yet :-[

Crimson Wizard

Thanks to Sunny Penguin who reminded me about this.
Uploaded a NO-MP3 version of the engine:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/betas/acwin_3.3.0_rc1_nomp3.zip

@Tzachs, do you plan on fixing other reported bugs in the most nearest future?
If they are not serious, we may leave them for 3.3.1 update.

tzachs

No, they are not critical (and I'm short on time), so I suggest to leave them for a future update.

Radiant

Very well, I'll put them in the issue tracker for now. I agree that getting a stable release is more important than these little issues.

(edit) Ok, I've done a search of this forum and made a number of posts in the issue tracker. Sorry for flooding it :) None of that is a high priority, I think, but it's convenient to have everything in the same tracker for easy reference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk