AGS 3.3.0 Release Candidate

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 04/04/2013 19:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

tzachs

Given that the latest official release (by official I mean AGS 3.2.1 which is what the website points to) was more than two years ago (Apr 11) I say to wait with new features and concentrate on getting this baby out.
If you compare to the version from two years ago, I believe we have enough new features to justify a release.

Knox

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 09/06/2013 12:45:31
...having some or all of the limits removed + some interesting features added, such as changing Custom Properties at runtime.

Big yes from me...I would even pay for that! :-D
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: General_Knox on Sun 09/06/2013 16:18:35
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 09/06/2013 12:45:31
...having some or all of the limits removed + some interesting features added, such as changing Custom Properties at runtime.

Big yes from me...I would even pay for that! :-D

But, hey, you could become the first 3.4 alpha tester as soon as those changes are ready, what about this? ;)
I should repeat, my question is not whether I should work on that (because I am working on these features anyway), my question was should I put them in this current beta.

Knox

I'd personally vote to put those features into this beta...perhaps a poll could be made? :)
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

MiteWiseacreLives!

On the topic of features, I can't seem to get the reload sprite form source thing to work. I presume the onboard manual hasn't been updated to help explain the new featues? So far its been pretty good for me,
Bug fixes:
- Fixed improper detection of external script modifications which would trigger when script is saved in the editor.

this has been a bit annoying.. is it safe to download the hotfix if I'm in the middle of a game?
Thanks guys!

Calin Leafshade

If the new changes are at beta state then they should be included in the beta. If they are basically feature complete and work fine (excepting unforeseen bugs) then they should be included.

Crimson Wizard

@MiteWiseacreLives, yes, the manual is yet to be updated. I'll do that when I have final list of new features for this version.

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 10/06/2013 07:59:22
I can't seem to get the reload sprite form source thing to work.
Please, be a little more specific: do you mean you can't find this option or it fails to work?
The option is in sprite manager's context menu, you select sprite(s), right-click and choose "Replace sprite(s) from source..."

E: I missed one thing though: this command is placed in a wrong section IMO, it should go next to other "Replace from" commands, but it is one section below. I think I will fix this.

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 10/06/2013 07:59:22
Bug fixes:
- Fixed improper detection of external script modifications which would trigger when script is saved in the editor.

this has been a bit annoying.. is it safe to download the hotfix if I'm in the middle of a game?
It should be safe. The changes have effect on how editor work, they do not alter game data.
Actually, it is best intent that every new beta version is compatible with previous ones. But still, since it is beta and has on-going changes, it makes sense to backup your game every time you install new version.

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 10/06/2013 08:05:21
If the new changes are at beta state then they should be included in the beta. If they are basically feature complete and work fine (excepting unforeseen bugs) then they should be included.
No, they are rather alpha...

MiteWiseacreLives!

Sorry 'bout that..
when I attempt to test the feature, I use "Replace sprite(s) from source..." and I get this message.
QuoteSprite ## does not have a source file. It may have been tile imported.
have tried a few different scenarios, wonder if I am doing something wrong. Not tile imported, just cropped from a bitmap that hasn't been moved.
Thanks.

Ryan Timothy B

Cropping likely results in the same issue. Test it on a regular sprite.

MiteWiseacreLives!

I am occasionally getting this error, seems to be liked to syntax errors in global header as I attempt to run  ???
Spoiler

Error: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Version: AGS 3.3.0.1132

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at load_room_file(SByte* )
   at load_crm_file(UnloadedRoom roomToLoad)
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.LoadRoomFile(UnloadedRoom roomToLoad)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadNewRoomIntoMemory(UnloadedRoom newRoom, CompileMessages errors)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.RecompileAnyRoomsWhereTheScriptHasChanged(CompileMessages errors, Boolean rebuildAll)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.AGSEditor_PreCompileGame(PreCompileGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.PreCompileGameHandler.Invoke(PreCompileGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild, Boolean createMiniExeForDebug)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolBarManager.ToolbarEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolStripExtended.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
[close]

MiteWiseacreLives!

@ Ryan,
do you mean to import the entire image, not a selection (I might be dumb...)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Tue 11/06/2013 05:24:46
@ Ryan,
do you mean to import the entire image, not a selection (I might be dumb...)
Unfortunately at this moment AGS keeps information about source file only, not the cropped/tile dimensions, therefore it is impossible to restore a sprite that was imported as a tile and/or cropped.
I will look into this and check how easy that would be to extend this functionality; hopefully Calin (being feature author) would be able to do the same.

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Tue 11/06/2013 05:22:43
I am occasionally getting this error, seems to be liked to syntax errors in global header as I attempt to run  ???
Is this totally random or you know the steps that lead to the error? Do you mean this happens when you run the game while having errors in script?

MiteWiseacreLives!

I believe it's when I run the debugger while I have a messed up function declaration in the global header (the variable didn't match the function in global script, I think)

Thanks, CW, I get how it works now. But adding that feature would be really helpful the way I create sprites  :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Tue 11/06/2013 08:25:52
I believe it's when I run the debugger while I have a messed up function declaration in the global header (the variable didn't match the function in global script, I think)

Hmm, can you post an example (the function that does not match and how it is used)?

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 11/06/2013 08:15:06
hopefully Calin (being feature author) would be able to do the same.

Yes, I will do this. The only reason I didn't do so to begin with was that I wanted to get out a version for Ali ASAP and those changes would require more testing since they require additions to the project file and further error trapping.

Ghost

Quote from: Stee on Sun 09/06/2013 13:34:54
I think it should be postponed to the next beta.

I second that. It's thrilling to have a new version of AGS and I am impressed how nice the changes work. Play it safe, let us getting used to a small number of stable, working new features.

This is a user's opinion, though I think I know how thrilling it must be for a developer to show off the new stuff ;)

cat

Since this is becoming more and more popular: Should there maybe be a template with left-right-click GUI?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Wed 12/06/2013 09:09:57
Since this is becoming more and more popular: Should there maybe be a template with left-right-click GUI?
I asked Khris to make one. :).

Crimson Wizard

People, did anyone have a thought that "Create Folder" menu items should follow "Create Item" in project tree, not precede them?
I make a lot of test games now, and it is really annoying, every time I want to create Character or a GUI I create a folder instead, because my hand instinctively chooses first item in context menu :-\.

Calin Leafshade

Yes, agreed.

That annoys the shit out of me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk