Tune contest: Whether your tune can Weather the Weather! (ENDS 22 APRIL)

Started by Intense Degree, Fri 05/04/2013 15:01:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Intense Degree

Weather

It feels like winter will never leave these shores at the moment but, in the usual course of events, April is a notoriously changeable month in Britain and whether it's sun, rain, snow, wind, storms or whatever, each conjures up it's own emotion and feel which can be quite weird when one turns to another on the same day!

Therefore, for this competition, I want you to compose something that reflects a change in the weather.

-   Choose your two types of weather
-   Compose a theme (tune/whatever) and make it sunny, or snowy or whatever you have chosen.
-   During the piece change the theme so it ends up rainy or windy or whatever.
-   The change can be sudden or gradual, but there should be two distinct parts of the piece where the same theme/tune (or a variation of it) feels like two different types of weather.
-   If the above is too vague feel free to do the same thing for day and night.

Deadline is 19 April.

Get to it composers!

Intense Degree

OK, only a few days to go. Anyone else working on anything?

It would be a shame if bingonight won by default, someone step up and give him some competition!

Problem

I'm working on something, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time this week. I hope I'll finish it in time.

Jondahr

Thought I'd give this a shot and throw something together.

I've called it "Mysterious Mist, Terrible Thunder", and I suppose that should be pretty self-explanatory.  :)

Mysterious Mist, Terrible Thunder

Doc_Savage

from rain to sunny theme is always a wining classic :)

www.la-minute-de-conscience.com/weatherchange6.mp3

Intense Degree

Excellent, more entries, great to see.

I think that a short extension would be available if Problem or anyone else doesn't have time to finish by Friday (especially as my entry was late in the last one!) :)

Adam H

Forum and AGS noobie here, I'm going to give this a quick shot so please consider giving a teeny tiny extension if I don't post strictly by the deadline. Thanks! :smiley:

Adam H

Well, it ended up being quite short and it's not subtle, but I'm happy with it.

Weather

I'd be interested to know your best guess as to what weather this is, so listen to it before looking in this spoiler:
Spoiler
A light snow turning into a blizzard.
[close]

Doc_Savage

Rain Storm?

edit: Just Saw the anwser!! It could sound like perldrops of water :)

By the way, your other compositions Feel a lot like simon and Garfunkel, wich is very calm and relaxing.

Jondahr

My guess was also that it was a light rain turning into a full rainstorm. Still, that means you've communicated the main idea. :)

Problem

It's good to see so many lovely entries. I'll try to finish something by Monday, but most likely I won't enter this time. Too busy with other soundtrack work at the moment (which is not a bad thing at all).

Doc_Savage

How About we all vote for a tune other that ours and choose a winner :)?

Adam H

It's too hard to pick.

I like Doc_Savage's over-all finished product, but just looking at composition I like Jondahr's. Bingonight's is awesome too but the transition from sun to rain is less obvious.

So I suppose I'll go with Doc_Savage.

Doc_Savage

Your Theme succeded best the feel of a storm yet I would Give my vote to Jondhar for the very Catchy Hiatus.
(if Intense Degree dosen't come back ;))

Jondahr

Ouch, this is really difficult. Bingonight's is cool and really gets me in the mood of some of the old tongue-in-cheek-humour adventure games. I had to listen a couple of times before really catching the weather change, though.

Doc_Savage's is beautiful, and has the most professional finish to it (reminded me of Gabriel Knight, fsr). Adam_H is the one that really makes me feel the weather the most, though, really creating vivid images before my inner eye.

In the end, it's a really close call between Adam_H and Doc_Savage, but for creating the clearest 'weather feel' I will finally give my vote to Adam_H.

Doc_Savage

It seems now that we are all equal.  I'm not sure bigonight will cast his.

I know it's not very fulfilling to not have a winner, for me it's ok :

Who want to take the lead for the next theme?  Howmever takes it should give only
10-12 days this time. Even two weeks is too long :)

Lesser time will give a fresh rotation of subject and hopefully will dissuade the
juge to take off :P

Intense Degree

Sorry everyone for missing the end of this. I have been without any meaningful internet access until today since last Saturday so haven't been able to deal with this.

I see a new competition is up now anyway so I shall say no more except sorry!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk