Sleuth

Started by monkey424, Sun 07/04/2013 11:28:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro Wolf

I've thought about the voice acting I did sometimes and was disappointed nothing came of it. Glad to see the project back on!

monkey424

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sat 02/11/2019 14:35:24
I've thought about the voice acting I did sometimes and was disappointed nothing came of it. Glad to see the project back on!

Yeah I know man. You did some great voice acting and it would've been a shame for it to go to waste. But now I seem to have got my second wind and some more collaborators on board so it looks like game has a good chance of being completed!

monkey424

Ok guys, some exciting new game stats:

Music: 100%
Dialogue & voices: 99%
Graphics: 99%
Scripting: 95%

Thanks to all those who recently contributed to the voices. Also huge thanks to Vincent Olmsted aka CometMorehouse for composing music. It sounds awesome!

Slowly getting there. Just chipping away bit by bit whenever I get the chance.

ETA sometime this year hopefully!  :)

Cassiebsg

Good luck with the last few %.  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Durq

Sooooooo close. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Fitz

Duke Nukem Forever: development commenced in 1997, completed in 2011
Sleuth: "Hold my Big Blue Cup..." ;)

But that's actually inspiring! Just like your invitation to voice another character made me dust off my mic and do some voicework again, maybe one of these days I'll excavate one of those latent ideas and make a new game.

In any case, looking forward to some sleuthing!

monkey424

Ok guys, some exciting new game stats:

Music: 100%
Dialogue & voices: 99.9% (still need to tweak volume here and there)
Graphics: 99.9% (touch-ups here and there)
Scripting: 99%

Thanks to all those who have got in touch recently re credits.

I'm really just at the 'bells & whistles' stage. I actually revisited the source material (the original 1983 Sleuth via a Let's Play vid) for inspiration and recalled you got a 'Sleuth ranking' once you'd successfully completed a game. Here's my proposed rankings in order of competency:

Can anyone suggest a category between 'incompetent' and 'rookie' ?

heltenjon

Quote from: monkey424 on Mon 31/08/2020 11:27:35
Can anyone suggest a category between 'incompetent' and 'rookie' ?

Stumbling?

monkey424

'Bumbling' sounds funnier. 'Sloppy' seemed appropriate too. See competency matrix below. Ranking is based on objectives achieved, or if everything is achieved then the number of moves (room changes) to complete the game.

Adeel

Hey monkey424, good to see you've been working on this game. Congrats on making to the (almost) completion stage. So happy for you!  ;-D

monkey424

Cheers Adeel. Yep, it's nearly done, thank fuck! I just remembered you and a few others auditioned for the game (somewhat reluctantly) but unfortunately didn't quite make the cut. There's one audition I recall being particularly terrible / hilarious (local gal Resulka) and yours I'm happy to say was only second-most terrible. I need to acknowledge you guys and gals in the game somehow.. I'll have a think about it!

Fitz

Well, I don't know what your standards are exactly if my performances made the cut :P I will forever be equally puzzled as I am nostalgic, voicing Nick being the starting point of my splendid career in VO ;)

Cassiebsg

Nice to see this game moving forward.  (nod)

Just a nit pick or suggestion.
Maybe instead of calling the player "Incompetent" you could use "Sleeping"? That way you avoid someone getting annoyed at having played your game and get "rewarded" with an insult. Also it would give a nicer progression from sleeping to bumbling (cause you not quite awake yet ;) ) .

Anyway, your game.  :-D
Hope you reach the finish line soon.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

monkey424

Thanks Cassiebsg - I've used 'Sleeping' rather than 'Incompetent' - less harsh!

Crikey! It's been a month since I last posted! Don't worry folks - I've been busy! I made a simulator of my game to generate some statistics on outcomes (see screenshot). Since the game uses randomised elements the outcome (total moves) is part luck and part strategy falling within a normal distribution. The simulator was also useful for general testing. It would have been a shame to make this and discard it so I've included it as a sort of 'Easter Egg' in the game together with another Easter Egg inside that one. Anticipate game release sometime this month!

Danvzare

Glad to hear this is still being worked on.
I remember when I first encountered the original Sleuth. It looked and sounded brilliant. But it's age certainly didn't do it any favours in terms of playability.
Your remake sounds like it's going to fix everything wrong with the original.  :-D

monkey424

FYI.. I'm releasing this game tomorrow! Just in time for Xmas!

Just been polishing / ironing out all the kinks recently and have done a bunch of test runs with my daughter who seems to approve.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk