Sonic the hedgehog movie, lol

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 03/05/2019 14:46:18

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 08/05/2019 09:13:27
I actually want it to be good. Like ‘good good', not ‘so bad it's good'. I'm not going to waste my money watching it ironically. It baffles me that they would even bother to make this movie at this point in time if they weren't going to actually try and make a good film.

I have doubts, but part of me hopes there's actually a good film in the can and they just ballsed up the CG. I hope that they'll go away and redo Sonic, cut a new trailer without Gangster's Bloody Paradise, and try again. If they're not going to try to repair the damage after the ridicule they've received from the trailer, then they're morons.

Did you see any non-1 dimensional characters in the trailer?  :=
Can't fix that with reworking the CGI.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

mkennedy

But how will it be compared to the live action Pokemon movie?

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 08/05/2019 10:55:50
Did you see any non-1 dimensional characters in the trailer?  :=
Can't fix that with reworking the CGI.

But should we expect or even want fully fleshed-out characters in this kind of movie?

I remember Peter Fonda acting his ass off in Thomas And The Magic Railroad, arguably some of the best acting of his career, and it just felt like overkill and a bit silly to be honest.

One dimensional characters are fine for this kind of movie IMO. As long as they are fun and not just one-trick ponies. Some interesting subversion can be done with one dimensional characters as well if done right: Reveal an unexpected layer of depth half-way through, but not too deep.

I feel that if the surrounding cast is too fleshed-out then it will distract too much from what should be a fast and frantic action flick and, like Peter Fonda in the Thomas movie, the audience will start wondering "Why are we getting all this in a movie about Sonic?".

The Coen Brothers could maybe get away with it...

milkanannan

cut a new trailer without Gangster's Bloody Paradise

(laugh) (laugh) Amen to that. Although them including Gangsta's Paradise had me laughing harder than I have laughed in years. My wife thought I was going to have a heart attack. It's just --how can they fail on so many levels?  (laugh) (laugh)

Danvzare

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 10/05/2019 14:31:24
cut a new trailer without Gangster's Bloody Paradise

(laugh) (laugh) Amen to that. Although them including Gangsta's Paradise had me laughing harder than I have laughed in years. My wife thought I was going to have a heart attack. It's just --how can they fail on so many levels?  (laugh) (laugh)

They should change it to Amish Paradise. It would be way more fitting.  :-D

Jack

Gangsta's Paradise was the only thing ever missing from the Sonic (Cinematic) Universe.

u do not no de wey

How bad do you think things can get?

milkanannan

Hopefully worse (for the comedic value), but I'm not sure that's possible!  (laugh)

Blondbraid

Jim Sterling did a pretty good video on Sonic:

KyriakosCH

I personally don't mind the changes to Sonic's look. I never played a Sonic game and never cared for the character. I never even had a Sega console.
Imo this film would be equally stupid with any Sonic look. I am just surprised there is a Sonic movie to begin with, so many years after the games were a thing.

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 17/05/2019 23:16:53
I never even had a Sega console.

You've never consoled yourself with sega?

That would make you quite the unique male of the species!

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 18/05/2019 15:13:36

I had three consoles, all by Nintendo.
-Gameboy (four colour)
-Snes (great)
-Nes (bought it for stupid reason, after already having a Snes iirc; just cause a friend from school had a Nes so he could lend me games. Of course i ended up playing almost nothing at all on the antiquated Nes ;) ).

VampireWombat

Sadly, I too didn't own a Sega system when growing up either. But at least my brother did have a Game Gear, so I was able to play that version of Sonic.
But I did have more consoles. Intellivision, Atari 2600, NES, and then SNES. I had one cousin who had a Sega Master System, but no one I was close to owned a Genesis.

I did at least watch both Urkel Sonic Cartoons. We will not speak of Sonic Underground...

But I do question "so many years after the games were a thing." Research shows that the newest Sonic game came out in 2017 and another was announced in March. It seems like Sonic games never really stopped. It's like saying the only Pokemon games were the first 2.

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 18/05/2019 15:13:36

Not really. I've never had a Sega console either. Unless you count emulators.

I personally don't mind the changes to Sonic's look. I never played a Sonic game and never cared for the character. I never even had a Sega console.
Imo this film would be equally stupid with any Sonic look.
If I put aside my bias, and look at this from a perspective of not caring if they changed Sonic's look. I still think it looks terrifyingly horrible.
But you're absolutely right, this film is going to be bad regardless of Sonic's look. Unless you mean Sonic will look silly regardless of design, in which case... preferences.

They could have definitely made a decent Sonic movie. Considering the comics, and the various cartoon shows, there's definitely proof out there that a good story could be told. But this film was never going to be good. Their very first decisions (from years ago) proved that, and the trailer cemented it.
And I think Jim Sterling's video pretty much explains why we'll probably never see a decent Sonic movie. Not that I'm particularly bothered. I mean, it would be nice, but so would Ron Gilbert finally getting the Monkey Island ip. At some point you've got to accept that it isn't going to happen, and stop caring.

josiah1221

The only Sega console I ever owned was the Game Gear. (My younger brother had a Nintendo Gameboy. I wanted the Game Gear because it had a backlight and was in color.) I remember "linking up" with a friend at school who had one as well. A USB cord was needed. We would play NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat against each other. It was pretty awesome back then. Long before wifi and bluetooth.

Me and my brother had a Nes and then a Snes. When I was a teen I bought the N64. My cousin had Sega Genesis then a Sega CD and finally the 32x. So I was fortunate to get to play both Nintendo and Sega consoles while I was a kid and teen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk