The Bum

Started by noviigrac, Fri 26/04/2013 17:48:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Gribbler

Hi Wendy,

Do you by any Chance remember when you downloaded the game? On 2nd May I've uploaded new version but forgot to change its numer ( :( ), it's still 1.01. I turned off debug mode in it which, I think, was causing some problems with the Pause Game feature. If you have the "first" 1.01, the one before 2nd May (uploaded around 8pm UK time) then downloading new one might help.

wendyj

Quote from: Gribbler on Tue 14/05/2013 11:25:14
Hi Wendy,

Do you by any Chance remember when you downloaded the game? On 2nd May I've uploaded new version but forgot to change its numer ( :( ), it's still 1.01. I turned off debug mode in it which, I think, was causing some problems with the Pause Game feature. If you have the "first" 1.01, the one before 2nd May (uploaded around 8pm UK time) then downloading new one might help.

Hi Gribbler, thanks a stack for your prompt reply.  I am using Windows XP PC, and I had originally downloaded the game within the last week.  However I today deleted the original game-files and the saved-games,and re-downloaded again today.  I however still get the problem of the game-paused message. It appears onscreen after I have typed in the game-save name, but before clicking "SAVE".  Then after saving, the PAUSED message stays permanently on screen. I can move around and interact now (no longer frozen), but the game-paused message stays on screen all the time, making it impossible to play the game because the game-paused message covers a lot of the screen, hence I can't see enough screen-details to play (very frustrating).  I have done 2 screen dumps, if that would help you, but just please tell me how to send you the screen-dumps if you need them.
Isn't there some key-combination that will remove the PAUSED message? There usually is, for pause-functions. I tried all single keyboard-keys, including "P", and have tried Ctrl+P and Alt+P, but no luck.
Game is excellent as far as I got to yesterday (talked to Roy in shop, talked to manhole man), and I would love to be able to fully play your interesting and well-designed (so far) game. Regards, Wendy

Gribbler

Pause is toggled with a Spacebar. I don't see any relations with the Save Game feature in the code. I tried saving and loading with the same build as you have and everything is ok. So far, you're the only person reporting this issue. Does the pause turn itself on only during saving or is it happening while playing too? Does this happen right after starting the game too? Start over, skip intro with ESC and try to save the game right at the very beginning. What happens then?

One more thing. I remember years back I had a similiar problem within totally different game (it wasn't about pausing but another feature toggled with Spacebar). And Spacebar key itself was causing it. It sort of got stuck when you pressed it on the right side of it, not middle.

wendyj

Solved by Gribbler!  Gribbler, you are a star.   Based on your reply, I carefully checked it out :-the spacebar key turns on the PAUSED message while saving the game using a save-name with more than one word e.g. got<spacebar>bucket.    I particularly watched the sequence and PAUSED is definitely appearing after pressing spacebar.  If the save-name has 3 words (2 spaces), it turns on PAUSED on the first spacebar and turns it off on the 2nd spacebar.  So, when the gamescreen comes up after saving, if it has a PAUSED message, pressing spacebar clears it.  Don't know why that did not work before when I tried every key including spacebar, but now it does!!  As you said, maybe my keyboard's spacebar is quirky!!! However, the system-problem definitely kicks in on every save where there is one or more space in the save-name.
Anyone else who hits this problem, will benefit from our forum discussion and your solution!!!
Thanks a million, Gribbler!!!  Regards, Wendy

Gribbler

I happy you can go back to enjoying the game :smiley: I must work on this pause feature and try to disable it when save game window is open.

Stupot

Was Piperhcombs' issue ever resolved?  I think I might have an idea.
Sometimes using the 'eye' to look at something is not enough, you have to 'right-click' on the object instead.
I can't recall if this was the case with the shoe/string, but I just had a similar issue getting the credit card out of the shirt pocket.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Help! what is next, I think I'm searching for something??
Spoiler
I think I need the red valve
[close]
Spoiler
Singer guy is there, have uberball, did sewer thing, not sure whats next?
[close]

Gribbler

QuoteWas Piperhcombs' issue ever resolved?  I think I might have an idea.
Sometimes using the 'eye' to look at something is not enough, you have to 'right-click' on the object instead. I can't recall if this was the case with the shoe/string, but I just had a similar issue getting the credit card out of the shirt pocket.
This has been fixed.

And Mite, ask Roy about the thing you need now, cause you're right, you need what you think you need.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Duh, try talking to people, sorry.
Finished, that was great Gribbler! A warning to others, don't read this forum because it hints at the end surprise, D'Oh.
very nice job, totally enjoyable.
p.s. Why can't you walk to exits, you have to "use" them?

wendyj

Quote from: Gribbler on Wed 15/05/2013 19:35:06
I happy you can go back to enjoying the game :smiley: I must work on this pause feature and try to disable it when save game window is open.
Hi Gribbler.  Finsihed The Bum.  Thanks again for your help.  Lovely game which I thoroughly enjoyed. Nice graphics, nice "plot", and excellent fun.  Lovely attention to "supporting" detail / atmosphere, e.g. the girl skipping in the park.  Well done indeed.  Highly recommended.  Regards, Wendy

paolo

I'm a bit stuck on this game. I seem to have done all the initial stuff but I'm not sure what to do next.

Spoiler
Looks like I need to get rid of the worker so I can get his toolbox. Somehow I need to get £15,000 so I can buy the uberball from Compulsive Joe. Do I have to burn the paper? And the biker claims he's not scared of anything, so no doubt I have to frighten him somehow.

I've been in the "old-school" alley too - not sure if that's relevant or not.
[close]

Thanks.

Gribbler

Spoiler
Yep, you need toolbox. To get rid of worker you need something very heavy. You also need a lot of money for the uberball. Note that gypsy in the window is a very rich man and that's his shrirt hanging above the alley. Newspaper has to be burned in the right place - look more closely at the barrel. And you're right about the biker, too. Bum asked him if he's afraid of spiders, right?
[close]

If you're still stuck and would rather like more direct hints please tell me.

paolo

Thanks for the hints, Gribbler. I'll try them out :)

san.daniele

I'm stuck at the biker.

Spoiler
I have the spider inside the jar. I tried using it on his bag of seeds (from what I understand that should be the right course of action), but the sock keeps telling me "i don't want to give the poor guy a heart attack".

I went through every dialogue options with the guy, so that's not what I'm missing.
[close]

i figured it out … kind of a 'strange' solution

Spoiler
I had to look at the spider in the jar before being able to use it on the bag
[close]

Gribbler

Spoiler
You have to try to grab a shirt with long pole to be able to use spider on the biker's bag. This condition was added later after the game's release as some users saw biker-spider event pointless without it.
[close]

san.daniele

Ok, That makes sense.

Kitty Trouble

Spoiler
Where can I find the duct tape?
[close]

Gribbler

Spoiler
Worker in the sewers has it. You have to knock him out first.
[close]

CosmoQueen

I have the same problem as Paolo except I already melted the tar in the barrel and put it on the shoe string.
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Eli

Congratulations and thanks a lot for this nice and amusing game!!!! Eli

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk