Skumring: Extra Noir Edition! (v. 1.1)

Started by SeamanNaranja, Sun 28/04/2013 23:13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 01/05/2013 03:55:28
I just finished the game and all I can say is WOW! One of the best games I've played lately.

Here's my complete assessment of the game:
Well, I just finished reading your review (probably for the fifth time) and all I can say is WOW! :shocked:

It's really cool to get such thorough feedback on something I have been working on far to long. This will make my day, no, my week! I'm really happy you liked the puzzles, since I feel that is my biggest weakness in designing the game. Well, that and my horrible english grammar!

SeamanNaranja
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

Shadow1000

Quote from: SeamanNaranja on Wed 01/05/2013 12:38:51
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 01/05/2013 03:55:28
I just finished the game and all I can say is WOW! One of the best games I've played lately.

Here's my complete assessment of the game:
Well, I just finished reading your review (probably for the fifth time) and all I can say is WOW! :shocked:

It's really cool to get such thorough feedback on something I have been working on far to long. This will make my day, no, my week! I'm really happy you liked the puzzles, since I feel that is my biggest weakness in designing the game. Well, that and my horrible english grammar!

SeamanNaranja

I'm glad you enjoyed the review :)

I forgot to add:

- I think this is your first game. If so, then BONUS points for such a success the first time around!
- You mentioned English grammar. I don't know where you live or what your first language is. The English in the game was fine. Sometimes one of my comments will be to please use a spell check or ask a native English speaker to proofread (even for native English speakers!) but the grammar and punctuation were fine in this game.

Just one point:
Spoiler
in the last area of the game, the "engine" in the warehouse as opposed to the "engine" controlling the crane is probably supposed to be a generator rather than an engine. Is the intention that it creates electricity? If so, you probably want to call it a generator. I got a bit confused but it did not affect the gameplay
[close]

SHADOW

piperhcombs

I'm at the end of the game now, and it's been really fun so far.

I have to wonder though,
Spoiler
when you get the dog. what is that "NGGRRRR!" sound you(or the dog) makes when you look at it in inventory? Doesn't sound like any dog I've heard.
[close]

On another note, wow what an ending!
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: piperhcombs on Wed 01/05/2013 16:40:21
I'm at the end of the game now, and it's been really fun so far.

I have to wonder though,
Spoiler
when you get the dog. what is that "NGGRRRR!" sound you(or the dog) makes when you look at it in inventory? Doesn't sound like any dog I've heard.
[close]
Glad you are enjoying it! It is
Spoiler
actually the sound of the voice actor for Cooper making, or at least attempting to make, a Chewbacca roar from Star Wars. He does it all the time, so it's kind of a personal signature, if you will! :)
[close]

noviigrac

Just to add my 2 cents worth, the game is awesome, the story well thought of, i just have to mention 2 aspects that I didnt like and that i thought i should bring to your attention.
First of all, why didnt you make the inventory items combinable in both ways (example. combine coins with glue doesnt work, but glue with coins does, why?)
And second, when you pull an item out of your inventory and use it in the wrong way it disappears (the icon of the item)  and you have to go and get it from the inv again and use it again, i think of this as bad cause if youre stuck in an adventure game, you usually try every item with anything you can think off, which in this case takes a lot of time cause you have to bring the item back out all the time.

Otherwise a great game and a marvelous addition to AGS games.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: noviigrac on Wed 01/05/2013 22:43:18
Just to add my 2 cents worth, the game is awesome, the story well thought of, i just have to mention 2 aspects that I didnt like and that i thought i should bring to your attention.
First of all, why didnt you make the inventory items combinable in both ways (example. combine coins with glue doesnt work, but glue with coins does, why?)
And second, when you pull an item out of your inventory and use it in the wrong way it disappears (the icon of the item)  and you have to go and get it from the inv again and use it again, i think of this as bad cause if youre stuck in an adventure game, you usually try every item with anything you can think off, which in this case takes a lot of time cause you have to bring the item back out all the time.

Otherwise a great game and a marvelous addition to AGS games.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm happy you enjoyed it. Regarding the first thing, I really thought I did! :shocked: Must have missed that one... I was so sure I got them all. And the other thing, I totally agree, that would be better. Something I can fix for version 1.0.1! :-)

kaput

I really enjoyed your game! It was very well put together and a lot of hard work on your part so hats off to you sir  :cool:.

Keep them coming.

Tabata

Had a lot of fun playing this game.
An interesting story that is revealed piece by piece while playing.
The style works well for me, too. Those cut scenes done in style of a comic strip fits nicely.

I just started with a little bug that needed me to start over the beginning:
Spoiler
I had no hotspot for the broken gutter piece and wasn't able to grab it (Not sure what triggered it though - sorry)
[close]
but in the second turn it all works well. I am only telling this in case someone else will have the same prob, but since I played the very first version it might have been solved anyway.

A well done game and I really hope to see more from you.  (nod)

Let's go to solve some more

of the crime that is going on ...

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Fri 03/05/2013 14:02:53
I really enjoyed your game! It was very well put together and a lot of hard work on your part so hats off to you sir  :cool:.

Keep them coming.
Thank you!  ;)

Quote from: Tabata on Sat 04/05/2013 08:29:33
Had a lot of fun playing this game.
An interesting story that is revealed piece by piece while playing.
The style works well for me, too. Those cut scenes done in style of a comic strip fits nicely.

I just started with a little bug that needed me to start over the beginning:
Spoiler
I had no hotspot for the broken gutter piece and wasn't able to grab it (Not sure what triggered it though - sorry)
[close]
but in the second turn it all works well. I am only telling this in case someone else will have the same prob, but since I played the very first version it might have been solved anyway.

A well done game and I really hope to see more from you.  (nod)

Let's go to solve some more

of the crime that is going on ...
Thank you for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Regarding the bug:
Spoiler
You should be able to spot the gutter piece after you have watched the gutter one time. If this doesn't work after saving/loading I'll try to find a fix!
[close]

Narushima

Hey, SeamanNaranja, congratulations on the release!

Saltwater Taffy

Holy smokes Batman! This game is amazing. It's so pretty!

No but really, so far I'm loving this. EVERYTHING from the intro, the dialogue, the interface, the graphics, the setting. It's beautiful ;3;

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Narushima on Fri 10/05/2013 16:43:45
Hey, SeamanNaranja, congratulations on the release!
Thanks man! Thanks for great feedback during testing  :)

Quote from: Saltwater Taffy on Fri 10/05/2013 22:50:25
Holy smokes Batman! This game is amazing. It's so pretty!

No but really, so far I'm loving this. EVERYTHING from the intro, the dialogue, the interface, the graphics, the setting. It's beautiful ;3;
Really happy you like it! I hope it keeps you interested to the very end :)

cianty

Just finished the game after a few sessions during the last couple of days and I have to say that I had a BLAST playing! The atmosphere was spot-on! The voice over was also nice, despite a few obvious lows here and there. Overall the quality is astounding - especially for a free offer. Thank you very much for providing such an enjoyable experience!

I read on your site that you are working on another point and click adventure: I can't wait for that! And I will be more than willing to pay for that.
ca. 70% completed

CaptainD

I haven't had time to get very far into this but wanted to stop by to say that I'm finding it an enjoyably off-beat mystery game - and of course very nicely produced!

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: cianty on Sun 19/05/2013 17:41:45
Just finished the game after a few sessions during the last couple of days and I have to say that I had a BLAST playing! The atmosphere was spot-on! The voice over was also nice, despite a few obvious lows here and there. Overall the quality is astounding - especially for a free offer. Thank you very much for providing such an enjoyable experience!

I read on your site that you are working on another point and click adventure: I can't wait for that! And I will be more than willing to pay for that.
It is great that you found it entertaining! Even though it took me forever to finish, I always had my mind set on the freeware option. Since I have work and a steady income this is solely something I do for fun on the evenings and weekends. The joy of good feedback is an awesome reward!

... And thanks regarding the new game! The new project is evolving fast and I'm very excited about it. Since I have managed to get a couple of close friends in on it this time, I hope it will be an improvement as well.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 23/05/2013 14:11:33
I haven't had time to get very far into this but wanted to stop by to say that I'm finding it an enjoyably off-beat mystery game - and of course very nicely produced!
Thanks a lot! Hope you survive the most illogical puzzles on your way to the sunrise over Port Horizon!  :)

SeamanNaranja

donkeymilk

The quality of ags games just keeps getting better and better.
We've had that brilliant Space Quest reboot,The Journey Down,AnnasQuest,DAVE GILBERTS GAMES among lots of other recent games too numerous to mention.
SKUMRING can safely join that list of quality offerings from yet another bunch of talented game makers!
Thanks!!

Bloody Mimishu

It seems that your game is getting better and better known Naranja :D
Hope to see Cooper get an award here one day (or at least nominated :D)

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: donkeymilk on Sun 16/06/2013 16:55:11
The quality of ags games just keeps getting better and better.
We've had that brilliant Space Quest reboot,The Journey Down,AnnasQuest,DAVE GILBERTS GAMES among lots of other recent games too numerous to mention.
SKUMRING can safely join that list of quality offerings from yet another bunch of talented game makers!
Thanks!!
Thanks! It's an absolute honor to even be mentioned with these fantastic games  :)

Quote from: Bloody Mimishu on Mon 17/06/2013 14:23:13
It seems that your game is getting better and better known Naranja :D
Hope to see Cooper get an award here one day (or at least nominated :D)
Yeah, it seems like it! I'm crossing my fingers for Cooper as well, he deserves something after what he's been through  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk