Monster Workshop - full sketch due tonight (Monday)!

Started by Andail, Sun 05/05/2013 17:24:15

Previous topic - Next topic

dactylopus

OK, big post.  I'm a little late getting my sketches in, but work has kept me pretty busy over the last few days.  Still, this is a really nice concept, and a lot of fun, so I'd really enjoy participating.

Here are my pose references:

I've been trying to get a handle on this pose, but it's been difficult finding an image with the pose I'm looking for.  Either way, it's coming along.

Here are my references for environment:

Yeah, so basically it's in a cave.

OK, so now let's see some of those sketches I was working on:

Worked out his face, but I may add a few spikes or horns before we're through.  Pretty happy with how he looks with that mean brow and creepy, cold insect eyes.  Lots of spikes and horns, big teeth, and of course lots of fur.

Working on the pose a bit.  Finally got something I liked towards the end.

And here's my initial sketch:

A big beastie.  I think I ended up making him taller than I intended while working out the fore shortening, but when I get working on it in the computer that may be changed.  The hand reaching forward will likely be larger and rotated to the right a bit.  Aside from that, I'm happy with this sketch as a starting point for the digital work.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Okay, so I had some time on Sunday and the ear of a certain Ben so I hammered out my final sketch with most of the guidelines and such still included.  Next I'll do a light/dark value paint to start some color rolling.

You can see the full sized version here :) :
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/ProgZmax/deadlydepthsdone_zps4f9c3ae3.png~original

Snarky

I envy all of you who apparently knew from the beginning more or less what your monster should look like. I spent many hours sketching all kinds of different concepts, strange anatomies, without finding anything I was happy with. So many crappy drawings! In the end, I returned to a pretty basic human shape (wearing a dress, even), and using mainly the head, pose and a looming perspective to try to get the monstrousness across.

Though the background is pretty much a placeholder, the shot will definitely be of the new mother coming through the doorway. As for the design, I know I'll try something different with the hair. Any other advice?

Andail

I guess I've settled for sci-fi. I don't know if I've chosen too ambitious a project; this one will crave LOTS of time that I don't really have, but hey, it's a challenge.

The perspective is just everywhere right now. I've gone with some kind of fish-eye perspective, but I don't know how well it works. I want a swooshy, speedy feeling.

I've used close-up photos of fleas as references for the monster, but clearly it also has snake-like qualities. Since it's a sci-fi setting, I might add glowing parts on it - concept artists I've studied seem to like adding glowing parts on their monsters.

So now I have like 20+ hours ahead of me drawing those humans on the motor vehicle...

Back to OP

selmiak

Kasander this is pretty impressive. I'd say keep the opponent in or the pose really makes no sense. Also the light on the feet is a bit off, the one foot closer to the lightsource is darker.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Snarky: Break up some of the emptiness on the face with extra eyes, nostrils, etc?  Other than that I think it's cool ._.

Calin Leafshade

I disagree. I think the emptiness of the face is part of the allure of the monster. Blankness in a face is unsettling.

ThreeOhFour

Hello hello

Just posting this so I don't miss the deadline! Will add explanations and stuff to it later when there are less deadlines looming!

Bye now ^_^

loominous

Perhaps it would be a good idea to break the thread off after the deadline, and have a new thread for each step. Would be a nice fresh start, and it would gather the pieces that moves on neatly.

The artist could simply post their last version as their new start, and thus we could also filter out a lot of pics.
Looking for a writer

Andail

Loominous, yeah that was exactly my thought.

cat

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 13/05/2013 17:13:48
I disagree. I think the emptiness of the face is part of the allure of the monster. Blankness in a face is unsettling.
I'm with Calin here, I think this mask looks great. I also love the position of the legs.

@Snarky: I'd love to see some of your concept drawings.

Edit: Since I think this thread is seriously lacking feedback, I'll do a few comments

dactylopus: I like the pose and the facial expression. However, the strong, almost cartoony foreshortening somehow leads to strange proportions in the shoulder area. Either make them smaller or distinguish them more from the breast area. Alternatively, I think you could make the head bigger.

Kasander: I think your last version without the person standing there works perfectly well, I just wonder where the light source is, that makes the highlights on the front of the monster.

noavana

Can I still join you guys?
so this is a character that I'm hoping to feature in a 3D short animation I'm making. Dunno if it will actually happen (the movie) but this is a good experience for me since I'm pretty stuck at the sketch level and have no ideas for now as to the design, setting, lighting and all those fancy big words you guys use :) making a good looking 2D drawing will help me progress..
So here goes:

Misj'

minor update...
I want to have two monks way in the back (they should be big enough to have some distinguishing features, but too small to have any actual details). The second, much younger, monk (apprentice) would serve as the comic-relief; a bit like Matthew Broderick in Ladyhawke. Of course I will only create this one scene, but drawing characters (with character) is much easier with a back-story.

So here's one of my early concepts for the comic-relief-monk (his very cartoony and goofy look will probably change as the piece progresses; especially since most details won't be visible in the final image).

EDIT: and added additional characters to the scene...I think they add some nice story.

SookieSock

Last update for week one

i ran out of time a little so I've not refined this as much as i would like.

Cuiki

Thanks for the suggestions, Waheela! And wow, Misj', thanks for taking the time to do all that, there's some really cool stuff in there.
Makes me feel even more ashamed to say I'm pulling out, because I've just got too much other stuff going on at the moment, and I haven't got enough time to afford to spend ages on every little sketch like I usually do (yeah, lame :undecided:).

But it's still really cool to see all the updates, some of the sketches look great, and there's just generally loads of talent in this thread.
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

miguel

14 May 2013
-----------
I hope I can still be included on the second week and phase of this workshop. I know it is 1am and already Tuesday, but I please ask to be in!
The picture here has a really bad background that just shows that my monster will be in a dungeon.

I also want to say that there's a lot of talent in this workshop and quite some good artists around. Congrats to everyone!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Baron

Quote from: Andail on Sun 05/05/2013 17:24:15
Update May 13th
In order to stay in the workshop, you have to have at least a sketch ready before midnight. This sketch is the one that your finished piece will be based on, and the one you'll received feedback on.

Update: Yeah, that's not going to happen.

QuoteIf you haven't joined the activity within the first week, you may participate outside of the competition.

Separate but parallel.  Oh yeah, Baby!

Kasander

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 13/05/2013 16:32:39
Kasander this is pretty impressive. I'd say keep the opponent in or the pose really makes no sense. Also the light on the feet is a bit off, the one foot closer to the lightsource is darker.

Quote from: cat on Mon 13/05/2013 19:48:20
Kasander: I think your last version without the person standing there works perfectly well, I just wonder where the light source is, that makes the highlights on the front of the monster.

Haha  ;-D  Thanks Selmiak, thanks Cat! I like your different opinions about the presence/absence of monster's oponent :) Well, I'll definitely try to do a version with the oponent, since it's more challenging one (and in the spirit of those Frazetta's monster paintings that Andail linked to in the first post). And if I fail miserably, I'll just keep reminding myself about what Cat said here;) 

The light (on the monster as well as everywhere else) is definitely going to be more realistic before I call it quits. I'll keep your suggestions in mind doing the next stages, thanks! 

@SookieSock 
Your welcome 8-)

Quote from: Misj' on Mon 13/05/2013 21:41:29
The second, much younger, monk (apprentice) would serve as the comic-relief; a bit like Matthew Broderick in Ladyhawke. Of course I will only create this one scene, but drawing characters (with character) is much easier with a back-story.

I hope this young monk won't ruin your painting the way M.B. ruined that movie 8-) Other than that, I think it's definitely a good idea to introduce these characters into your composition ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk