Kickstarter for Lady Sabre, webcomic I edit

Started by Eric, Mon 06/05/2013 19:53:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Some of you know that I'm affiliated with the webcomic Lady Sabre & The Pirates of the Ineffable Aether, written by Greg Rucka and drawn by Rick Burchett. We've just launched our Kickstarter campaign to publish the first book a couple of hours ago, and it's...well, it's been quite the experience thus far.

I've posted some best practices that I'd researched for Kickstarter in the forums before, and many of them seem to be panning out (having names like Greg and Rick on board helps the most, obviously). I thought I'd share here in case anyone was interested, and also see if there are questions that I can answer for others interested in crowdfunding as I go through the process.

My commitment to this crowdfunding campaign is one of the reasons I haven't been making game updates lately (the other was my job search, which I just successfully completed!). Hopefully, this will also succeed, and you'll be seeing more of me in the future!

Eric

Thank you Vince (and anyone else who contributed). Today has been...insane.

I do want to emphasize the latter offer. I now know quite a bit about KS, and suspect my education is just beginning. If you guys have questions about the process, please feel free to ask them.

selmiak

wow, there is more than double the money in since yesterday :)

Retro Wolf

This shows just how wonderful crowd funding can be. Without it, many projects like this would never see the light of day.

Also it's weird how people come up with similar ideas, my next game involves pirates in a void like world. I've read the first few pages of the webcomic, it looks really good, but will forbid myself from reading the rest until I've finished my game!

Eric

It has been a crazy couple of days. We weren't honestly weren't expecting nearly this much backing, and so now all of our plans for a slow roll-out have been derailed.

Wolf -- When your game is finished let me know, and we'll give a link to it!

Tramponline

Great campaign. That video has a very down to earth feel to it. Chapeau, Eric!
Steampunk!!! Ah, what the heck - this is the best excuse for getting a credit card again. I'm definitely in!

That bookplate design won't have 'Kickstarter' written on it in bold lettering or something like that, will it?

Eric

Well, this thing has turned into essentially a full-time job.

Thanks, Tramp! I don't think the bookplate will say Kickstarter on it (though it will be a Kickstarter-only thing), but we haven't decided on a final design yet. I'll try to dissuade Greg and Rick from going in that direction!

kaput

At first I thought you were talking about Lady Sabre the band but, then I saw the art work and well all I can say is COOL.

It's also cool how you guys are asking for a very reasonable amount (not like some jokers), so I wish you the best of luck of the project. Not that you'll need it with such a Résumé.

Awesome. How did I not notice this before? I love comic books, I'm even designing and writing my own. But that's another story...

Eric

I have missed your kind words until now, Sunny Penguin! We didn't find out about the band until production was well, well under way on the comic, which was unfortunate for us when it came time to choose a domain name!

We worked really hard to make our campaign as transparent as possible, at least at the start. Things have blown up legitimately more than we anticipated, and so some costs are up in the air right now. We know that shipping is going to take up a majority of our funding at this point, but we won't know exactly how much until we get results back on where our backers live in the world. That's the most difficult area of Kickstarter, negotiating shipping costs.

Let us know when your comic is done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk