The Search for Oceanspirit Dennis (source code released)

Started by OneDollar, Sun 19/05/2013 13:16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

OneDollar

Three years ago today ddq introduced the world to Oceanspirit Dennis' life partner, Ray. Now see the story behind their first meeting in...
The Search for Oceanspirit Dennis

Story:
Ray's village is under threat and the only one who can help is the legendary Oceanspirit Dennis. Tasked with tracking him down Ray sets off for the next city, but quickly runs into problems...

Features:
* A brand new adventure game set in the Oceanspirit Dennis universe!
* Several exciting locations to explore!
* Minigames!
* Loads of original art and animation!
* New and returning characters!
* Original music!
* An unlockable director's commentary!
* An unlockable medal system - earn medals for performing specific actions!
* Exclamation mark!

About:
This is the first game I've completed that didn't have a MAGS time limit attached, so it's my biggest and most polished adventure game to date. It was originally started three years ago then put on hold for a long time, but over the last few months I've finally finished it. If you have any comments, feedback or bug reports I'd love to hear them!

Links:
AGS games database page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1684/
Website: http://www.onedollarproductions.co.uk/games/osdsearch.htm
Several of the music tracks in the game were written by Diane Webster. You can see more of her work here:  https://www.facebook.com/dianewebstercomposer

DOWNLOAD THE GAME!

Update:
The Search for Oceanspirit Dennis is now open source! If you want to poke around in the game's code you can grab the source code from the following link:
Download source code
Alternatively if you're interested in using any of the artwork in your projects, but don't want the hassle of extracting it from the source code, you can grab the resource pack which contains all the art and sounds used in the game.
Download resource pack

Ponch

Sweet! I have an OSD game I'm going to release when I get home tonight, but this game looks much cooler. Thanks for putting this one out there, One Dollar. You are beings teh awesomes!

Igor Hardy

Icey

And I remember this game from the first release something, speaking of which, I should PM ben about that.

kconan

cat

Great game! I had to laugh out loud several times. Also very nice music and interesting developer commentary.

Ponch

Finished it (still don't have all the trophies yet). This is hands down the best OSD game I've played in a long time. Very funny. Clearly a lot of work went into it.

Speaking of which, One Dollar do you still have a link to that youtube video you sent me? It was a very cool peek at how you brought Ray to life. I think it would be neat if you shared it with the rest of the world now that the game is done. Maybe post it in spoilers tags if you don't want to give that part of the game away? 8-)

Tabata

Awww â€" I love happy endings!  <3 <3  <3
Spoiler
[close]

OSD

Nice one Mr. OneDollar!

MiteWiseacreLives!

It was epic. I laughed. All I want is more Ben Egg, please (or whatever it was...). going to go rate it now.

Ponch

Neat! It always makes me smile when one of Oceanspirit Dennis' tales escapes the forums and makes it out into the larger world. I can only wonder how baffling it must seem to people who know nothing of teh Dennis. 8-)

EDIT: Found that video I mentioned a few posts above! ;-D
Spoiler
Rock on, Lifepartner Ray. Rock on.

OneDollar

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Tue 21/05/2013 06:37:48
It was epic. I laughed. All I want is more Ben Egg, please (or whatever it was...). going to go rate it now.
Well I'm going to release the source code once people have had a chance to play the game and it's proven to be relatively bug free, so maybe the character will show up in another game. Perhaps you could make one! Thanks for rating!

Quote from: IndieRetroNews on Tue 21/05/2013 09:22:01
It looked so cool, we featured it!
http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/05/the-search-for-oceanspirit-dennis-point.html
Thanks for the write up!

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 21/05/2013 16:06:17
EDIT: Found that video I mentioned a few posts above! ;-D
Spoiler
Rock on, Lifepartner Ray. Rock on.
Yeah, that's the one. That's sped up to something like 32x, and it actually took me longer to render and upload the video than it did to do the animation.

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 21/05/2013 16:06:17
Neat! It always makes me smile when one of Oceanspirit Dennis' tales escapes the forums and makes it out into the larger world. I can only wonder how baffling it must seem to people who know nothing of teh Dennis. 8-)
You'll have to start marketing http://www.barnrunner.com/OSD/ or the Oceanspirit Omnibus thread then! On a side note, while I've been playing Oceanspirit Dennis games recently I wondered if it would be a good idea to start an OSD wiki. That's probably a discussion for another thread, but I thought I'd put the idea out there.

cat

Quote from: OneDollar on Tue 21/05/2013 19:34:41
On a side note, while I've been playing Oceanspirit Dennis games recently I wondered if it would be a good idea to start an OSD wiki.

Why not make a page in the AGS Wiki?

Ponch

Quote from: cat on Tue 21/05/2013 20:20:54
Quote from: OneDollar on Tue 21/05/2013 19:34:41
On a side note, while I've been playing Oceanspirit Dennis games recently I wondered if it would be a good idea to start an OSD wiki.

Why not make several pages in the AGS Wiki?
But who would know how to do that? I'm no computer expert. And you have to be a pro to create or edit a wiki page. It's not like they'd let just anyone in there you know. ;)

Seriously, I'd love to have a official OceanSpirit Wikiverse, but I have no idea how to do one. (That's why there's no Barn Runner page on the AGS wiki :~( ). Anybody (besides Icey :P) up to the challenge?

Everything I learned about computers, I learned before 1996. Have you seen my webpage? Heck, I'm playing Starflight at this very moment! :=

OneDollar

Sorry for the delay, but as promised the source code for The Search for Oceanspirit Dennis is now released! You can grab it from the following link:
Download source code

Alternatively if you're interested in using any of the artwork in your projects, but don't want the hassle of extracting it from the source code, you can grab the resource pack which contains all the art and sounds used in the game.
Download resource pack

Have fun!

Monsieur OUXX

That's all deadly: not only the game, but the commentary AND the video of you making the guitar animation :D
Also making the game open source will surely encourage people who want to make an OSD game but wouldn't know where to start with the battle system!

OneDollar

Word of warning - I started trying to make a generic battle system that would work in lots of different games, but then I got lazy and just made it work for that one battle. So there's code to get you started, but people are still going to need to do some work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk