Realm - A Kickstarter adventure game not getting much love

Started by Greg Squire, Wed 15/05/2013 18:31:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Squire

I came across this awesome adventure game on Kickstarter called Realm. It's visually stunning and about a little girl and her rock monster friend that are on a journey to find a magic flower that can heal her sick mother. What I'v seen of it looks very compelling, however it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of backing.  There are 6 days to go they are miles away from reaching their goal. If you like the project, I'd encourage you to back it.

m0ds

Looks nice. Though, I usually back projects where you can get a special thanks or thanks to credit, unless I missed it they don't seem to offer one here for that, just a beta tester credit. They are giving away everything in the world except credits. That's probably due to the size of the backers list preventing it, but games like Resonance had such a "credit tier" thing and I'm really grateful for that. It may seem stubborn but I'm just not a project backer for free gifts, I have other reasons :P I'm sure others will lend their support to get a cart load of quiz show esque prizes though :D

Myinah

I backed it in the early stages. I think it looks like a great game and my reasons for backing games are always purely because I want to see that game get made. Nothing more, nothing less. Screw fancy art prints, screw credits, I just want to see a beautiful game come to fruition and get the chance to play it  :-D

Really hope this one gets backed!

Stupot

I have been following this  project, and it does look gorgeous, but I've been too skint to buy so much as a Mars bar.  But I did today get my deposit back from a house I moved out of 9 months ago! So I might be tempted to pledge a tenner.  I really want to see them reach the target, but I can't actually see that happening. They need a miracle.

@Mods.
You do get your name on their website 'hall of fame', even for the £1 tier. Or do you especially want a credit in the actual game?
I backed Dierdra Kiai's game Dominique Pamplemousse on Indiegogo, and she sung every backer's name in the credits, including mine :-)  I'm famousse!

m0ds

That's great! :D Yeah, I guess this is such a large budget project it's best not to think about the philanthropic aspect so much. It definitely seems worth contributing a small amount to. But you're right, 195k...loootta money!

Darth Mandarb

My problem with this project (and others like it) is that while all the stuff they do show looks nice enough, there's nothing actually showing the game itself.

Just mockups and fancy talk about all their grand ideas.  Nothing "in game" (actual game screens with menus and character(s) walking around).  They have a video specifically titled "gameplay details" that doesn't really show anything about gameplay. Don't get me wrong; I love grand ambition (we're all guilty of it at some point) but in order to fork over over my coins I need more than ambition.

To me this is just not **ahem** in production enough to make it worth layin' down my cheddar.  That's not to say I haven't backed projects with more or less the same amount of "nothing to show" but it's usually what puts me off from backing.  The concept is interesting and the pre-vis stuff they have is pretty so I might back it as the deadline draws nigh but I dunno.  I'd like to see more!

Igor Hardy

To me the project looks pretty boring, even tho these are obviously professional graphic artists, animators and music/sfx people behind the game.

I'd much rather kickstart one of you guys instead.

Bulbapuck

Oh darn. I saw this like a week back and figured it had just gone up, considering how awesome it looked. A real shame that this hasn't gotten much recognition.

It makes quite a lot of sense though. You can tell it's an insanely ambitious title from an unknown games studio. They might be well known for their art (I don't know anything about them really), but as a game studio noone knows what they can do yet. As such I feel they went over their head making a game like this. 195k is a lot of money to be asking from something like kickstarter, but for what they seem to be going for it really is quite a low number.

I hope that this game will see completion even if kickstarter doesn't work out. I'm very curious to see where they are going with it. I'll probably make a small donation (don't have much to spare really), but I doubt it will help much. :-\

Greg Squire

Well, they didn't reach their goal. They didn't get their miracle this time. Hopefully they still find a way to get this made, otherwise it will join the millions of others in the annals of "great games that could of been".

Myinah

Well they did say they hope to come back when they have the capability to support US payments, as apparently that was a huge issue for them. They seem to be regrouping and wanting to try again when they have got a bit more game play to show us and have taken on board much of the feedback they've received.

I'm with you though, really hope they find a way to get it released.

Greg Squire

Yeah I can see how a lack of US backers caused them to not reach their goal. They technically could support pledges from the US (I was one of them), but you had to pledge in pounds, so I can see how that might scare some people. I'm from the US and it still amazes me how many people here know little to nothing about international currencies (even major ones like British pounds and Euros). They see a pound sign and immediately run away. However, I'm guessing that the reverse isn't true. I'm guessing that people in the UK are more familiar with currency conversion as they may have bought things from US based companies over the web, and have probably converted pounds to euros when travelling to other parts of Europe.

It was good to hear they are going to try again. Relaunching with a US based account will probably help with that "pound aversion" factor.

Myinah

Yes, I think because sites like kickstarter originate from the US and have a stronger US following we get used to paying for things in $ more often than not. I have backed US projects and it always took payment through Amazon. It is funny though because all it does is take the equivalent in £ out of the account, it doesnt magically turn your account into $ or anything, but some people seem to think danger is afoot because "Oh noes! Money symbols that are not on my money!!!!" Also with Ebay UK anything we buy from China/Hong Kong sellers is always in USD so I imagine we are more acclimatised to paying for items in American currency. 

But yes, hopefully with a better payment format for american backers it will take off next time. They got some amazing press coverage in the UK so it would be a shame for it to fizzle out.

Frodo

I, for one, was glad to see the UK currency.  I don't see why everything has to be in dollars.   :tongue:

Darth Mandarb

I don't think it not being in USD was a huge factor in it not getting funded.  I've contributed to projects that weren't USD.  I could see how it could put some people off I suppose.

I think the problem was they didn't really have anything to show but mock-ups and promises.  Some big names in the industry can get away with this (on Kickstarter) but the "little guys" need to have something to show.  Even if it's just pre-alpha game play footage.  Something.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk