Adventure Island - new point-and-click game launched

Started by elentgirl, Sat 25/05/2013 17:11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Fri 14/06/2013 05:02:23
After redownloading this wonderful game (v1.3), I've been plugging away through the game and have hit another glitch. I just finished all the puzzles through the portal (kings of nasgard, singing table, etc) and returned to the Temple of Atlantis to retry the weights puzzle. The actual scales/buckets were gone, and whilst the hotspots for them were still active, as soon as I put a weight in a bucket, the game locked up. Help?

I'm afraid my response is much the same as yours - Help!  This is beyond my knowledge - I don't think it is simply a scripting problem.  The fact that the game locked up suggests that something had corrupted in the program somewhere.  I have had similar experiences with other games and programs. Have you tried restarting the game and loading a saved game before this happened.  If it occurs again I shall have to ask some of the more experienced AGS programmers for advice.  I'm sorry this has happened.

Uziel

Quote from: elentgirl on Fri 14/06/2013 10:28:42
I'm afraid my response is much the same as yours - Help!  This is beyond my knowledge - I don't think it is simply a scripting problem.  The fact that the game locked up suggests that something had corrupted in the program somewhere.  I have had similar experiences with other games and programs. Have you tried restarting the game and loading a saved game before this happened.  If it occurs again I shall have to ask some of the more experienced AGS programmers for advice.  I'm sorry this has happened.

The weird thing is, when I saved (in this room) the scales were there. But now whenever I quit the game and reload, they aren't. Unfortunately because I went here very early in this current playthrough, I don't have a save before this started happening. All my save games do the same thing in this room. I'll start the game from scratch again, and try again I guess?

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Fri 14/06/2013 12:07:10
The weird thing is, when I saved (in this room) the scales were there. But now whenever I quit the game and reload, they aren't. Unfortunately because I went here very early in this current playthrough, I don't have a save before this started happening. All my save games do the same thing in this room. I'll start the game from scratch again, and try again I guess?

I tried saving my game in that room and reloaded it again without anything occurring that should not.  I really don't know what to suggest beyond what you have proposed.  I'm very sorry.  If you do decide to start the game again, I suggest you ensure you are playing the latest version (version 1.4).

Tinytim

Where is the download for version 1.4?,please. :confused:
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

Shadow1000

Just two small comments, now that I'm into the game by two weeks:

- There is a lot of walking back and forth. This often includes rooms that don't include hotspots or actions to be taken. It might be a good idea to allow the user to adjust the game speed so navigating doesn't take as long. Another idea would have been to create teleports once you complete certain tasks or discover new areas. This would affect gameplay so it would have to be done carefully.

- I am wondering if it's a coincidence or deliberate that the icon for the game is so similar to Apple's Safari icon? :)

Otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun playing.

SHADOW

elentgirl

Quote from: Tinytim on Fri 14/06/2013 15:27:33
Where is the download for version 1.4?

The current version that you download from the AGS Games page is version 1.4, but you like you can get it direct from: https://www.box.com/s/oohbm56d77gtjt9aa35b
If you are not in a rush, I am working on a couple of revisions and plan to upload version 1.5 in the next day or so.  I will post a link as soon as it is available, or I can post a patch to update version 1.4 to version 1.5 if you prefer.

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 14/06/2013 15:59:56
Just two small comments, now that I'm into the game by two weeks:

- There is a lot of walking back and forth. This often includes rooms that don't include hotspots or actions to be taken. It might be a good idea to allow the user to adjust the game speed so navigating doesn't take as long. Another idea would have been to create teleports once you complete certain tasks or discover new areas. This would affect gameplay so it would have to be done carefully.

- I am wondering if it's a coincidence or deliberate that the icon for the game is so similar to Apple's Safari icon? :)

Otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun playing.

SHADOW

I think the amount of walking about that you do depends upon how you play the game.  Most of those who played the game before I uploaded it tended to complete one section at a time before moving on to another.  That way there is not too much walking around involved.  I think having too many teleports would take away some of the fun from the ones that are already in the game.

The game icon is simply a small compass, which I thought was suitable for the game.  Perhaps Apple liked it as well.

Shadow1000

Quote from: elentgirl on Fri 14/06/2013 16:26:43

The game icon is simply a small compass, which I thought was suitable for the game.  Perhaps Apple liked it as well.

Well, then I think you should sue Apple for stealing your icon design and make a lot of money! Samsung did that and won.

SHADOW

Uziel

Quote from: elentgirl on Fri 14/06/2013 14:16:25
I tried saving my game in that room and reloaded it again without anything occurring that should not.  I really don't know what to suggest beyond what you have proposed.  I'm very sorry.  If you do decide to start the game again, I suggest you ensure you are playing the latest version (version 1.4).

A completely new game and the scales are back. I'll try completing section by section, than jumping around as much as I was.
What's altered between 1.3 and 1.4?

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Sat 15/06/2013 00:43:03
A completely new game and the scales are back. I'll try completing section by section, than jumping around as much as I was.
What's altered between 1.3 and 1.4?

I'm sorry you have had to go to these lengths - I hope you do not hit any more obstacles (other than those I planned in the game!).  I'm not sure whether completing the game section by section makes it less prone to glitches - it's supposed to be glitch free however it is played!  It will cut down on the walking.

I'm trying to remember what changed between the two versions.  Not a great deal, but it fixed a couple of bugs that could have caused trouble, and I added an extra hint or two in Annie's thoughts, based upon what I have learned from those playing it, such as yourself.  Please keep the feedback coming in - criticism as well as praise.  If I can improve the game in little ways, then I will.

I've just seen your lovely comment on the AGS Games page.  Thank you very much!

Andy

Hi - I just wanted to say I have been playing your game for the last couple of weeks, and I have really enjoyed it :)

I managed to finish the game this morning, and as challenging as the game was, (and it was very challenging!), I did finish the game without the aid of any hints or tips. Thought you might like to hear that.

So yeah, I encountered a couple a bugs:

1) I right-clicked on the kingdom of skulls puzzle with a skull in my hand and it disappeared forever.
2) I saved the game with the blacksmith snoring (had to listen to him snore for a whole hour! But then suddenly he stopped, much to my relief)

They did not stop my enjoyment of the game though, and given the sheer size of the game, I'm not surprised there will be a couple of bugs here or there.

This game is huge! And does not feel rushed in any way. I like the voice-overs, the way you can go back and forth between each mission, and just thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Lastly, the golden globe was rather unexpected!

donkeymilk

You might want to move the patches for this game to the first page,so people can find them easier.
I couldn't find the 4th patch,but eventually found the latest version of the game from your website.
Thanks for great game!

elentgirl

Quote from: Andy on Sun 16/06/2013 10:28:20
Hi - I just wanted to say I have been playing your game for the last couple of weeks, and I have really enjoyed it :)

I managed to finish the game this morning, and as challenging as the game was, (and it was very challenging!), I did finish the game without the aid of any hints or tips. Thought you might like to hear that.

So yeah, I encountered a couple a bugs:

1) I right-clicked on the kingdom of skulls puzzle with a skull in my hand and it disappeared forever.
2) I saved the game with the blacksmith snoring (had to listen to him snore for a whole hour! But then suddenly he stopped, much to my relief)

They did not stop my enjoyment of the game though, and given the sheer size of the game, I'm not surprised there will be a couple of bugs here or there.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the game, and well done for completing it without any help.  It's good to know that I have not made any of the puzzles impossibly hard!  And thank you for adding your comments to the AGS Games page.

The two bugs you mentioned are already known to me, but thank you for mentioning them. 
1) I discovered with an earlier version of the game that a skull could disappear if one was on the plinth and you were also holding one.  That no longer happens.
2) This is due in part to a bug in the AGS program.  I have put a work around in my game but it does not always work.  I'm sorry you had to put up with all that snoring!

Quote from: donkeymilk on Sun 16/06/2013 16:41:36
You might want to move the patches for this game to the first page,so people can find them easier.

I think that is a good idea, but I'm not sure how to do it.  I thought all the posts were automatically filed in date order, so how would I move one to the first page?  Should I start a new thread, and if so, which heading should I put it under?

LimpingFish

Quote from: elentgirl on Sun 16/06/2013 21:49:18
I think that is a good idea, but I'm not sure how to do it.  I thought all the posts were automatically filed in date order, so how would I move one to the first page?  Should I start a new thread, and if so, which heading should I put it under?

Go to first post > click "modify" > add whatever new information you have, links, etc > click "save".

Don't start a new thread. ;)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

elentgirl

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 16/06/2013 22:13:12
Go to first post > click "modify" > add whatever new information you have, links, etc > click "save".

Don't start a new thread. ;)

Thank you - I didn't think to do it that way!  I shall organise that tomorrow.

elentgirl

BUG ALERT

I have uploaded version 1.5 of my game.  This corrects a bug in the Buccaneer's Creek section which in some circumstances can prevent players completing the game.  I have also created a patch to upgrade version 1.4 to version 1.5.  If you are playing v1.4 and have not yet played the Buccaneer's Creek section, I recommend that you use this patch.  It can be downloaded from: https://www.box.com/s/j096fb33cuvxd6f86h2i
This patch may work on earlier versions of the game but you may not then be able to load and run previously saved games.

Shadow1000

So, after completing the game, I`ve decided to offer my comments:

OVERVIEW

Adventure Island pays tribute to many popular games, movies and cultural references. I consider it a full length game of exceptional quality that only emerges on the AGS scene every few years. Graphically excellent with professional quality voice acting creates a perfect environment, covering a vast range of contexts, all rendered expertly. As a tribute game, Adventure Island is a departure from the traditional, linear, plot-based adventure offering a unique, modular approach instead.

NOTE:
- The game contains brief partial nudity so it may not be suitable for younger players or players who find this offensive.
- A number of puzzles (I can think of five offhand) require good colour recognition. If you are colour deficient like I am, or your screen's ability to display colours happens to suck, you will find a number of them impossible to complete without assistance.

WHAT I LIKED

- As I said, the game is modular, in the sense that instead of having a strong plot that unfolds as you play, the main goal of the game receives seldom reference throughout the majority of the game and only is revisited near the end. The worlds the player visits are self-contained mini-games with their own story or theme. This approach could have led to disjoint gameplay but is actually rendered exceptionally well. I will elaborate shortly
- The graphics and environment were among the strong points of the game. The backgrounds and exceptional detail including voice acting and sound clearly took a lot of meticulous work and make a huge difference. I am amazed at the sheer variety of contexts that converge seamlessly as a result of this effort. (See next section for some points on this).
- Just to add about the sound, I've rarely seen so much detail put into background sounds from walking on the bridge to birds chirping and so on. Often voice acting doesn't really add to the game but in this case it was perfect.
- The puzzles are also a strong point. Being a work composed of many sub-environments, the variety of puzzles is exceptional. The puzzles in this game range from the inventory-based puzzles to object puzzles, to gathering clues from dialogue and reading details puzzles to a maze, to arcade-style games and many, many more. There really is something for everyone in this game and the player will never tire despite the length because of the variety. I have to say that some of the best puzzles I've encountered in any adventure game are contained in Adventure Island.
- Overall, the creativity is sheer genius. The attention to detail is exceptional. Great sense of humour!

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE

- I mentioned the puzzles as part of the strength of the game. That said, there were puzzles that I found to be impossible to solve, even when given the solution. Too many of these roadblocks did diminish the overall fun of the game.
- More on the puzzles: personally, I am not a big fan of "object puzzles" (AKA "stare at a wall and click/slide/press/move thingies around trying to figure out some pattern until something happens"). A few of them are fine and expected in a game but this one was too heavy in this type of puzzle for my liking. There was one such puzzle that took me about 45 minutes of sliding stuff around to finally solve and when that was complete, I was smacked in the face by a combination lock! Grrrrr! It's possible that testing of the game with a broader group would have helped with this aspect.
- The graphics were really beautiful as I said, but ironically, Annie's face looked zombie-like. (Note: I raised this point to the author and she explained how that happened). Another thing Is that the animation of the people, particularly the articulation of limbs while moving looked somewhat stiff and unnatural.
- I don't mind that the interface took some getting used to but I found that moving from room to room was sometimes difficult because the hotspots for the arrows were placed inconsistently.
- My biggest complaint:

Spoiler! Don't read till you've completed the game!

Spoiler
The ending was disappointing. I won't elaborate because some people will read this before completing the game despite my warning ;) but a game of this length should definitely reward the player with something more spectacular. The game is very polished in almost every aspect and a proper ending would have really completed the project
[close]

CONCLUSION

Elen's second game is really an impressive work, demonstrating exceptional creativity and graphic skill. The ability to construct an enjoyable environment and compelling puzzles was expertly executed in Adventure Island. If you are willing to be patient and persistent in solving puzzles and don't mind requiring assistance from time to time, then this game will be a rewarding and fun experience.

Congratulations to Elen and to all who participated in this game!

SHADOW

PS What does "Who says I'm not PC" mean??? :)

elentgirl

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 23/06/2013 06:52:40
So, after completing the game, I`ve decided to offer my comments:
Thank you for your very balanced review.  I'm glad that on the whole you enjoyed the game.

I presume the puzzle you are talking about that took you 45 minutes of sliding things around is the puzzle box in the Black Dog Manor section.  Not everyone's cup of tea, I accept, but as I'm sure you noticed, each section of Adventure Island pays tribute to a different genre of adventure game, and in the type of game that Black Dog Manor is a pastiche of, puzzle boxes were very common, often with as many as four or five puzzles one after another!  Just be thankful that I kept it to two.

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 23/06/2013 06:52:40
PS What does "Who says I'm not PC" mean??? :)
Like a lot of my references, this is a bit cryptic.  Annie is based partly upon Lara Croft, and I deliberately gave her a T-shirt similar to Lara's in style and colour.  Lara Croft has been considered by some people (feminists in particular) as not PC (Politically Correct).  Annie, on the other hand, as a computer game character is definitely PC (Personal Computer)!  Sorry, it's a groan inducing pun, I know.

Shadow1000

Hi Elen

Glad you liked my review :)

Quote from: elentgirl on Sun 23/06/2013 10:46:06

I presume the puzzle you are talking about that took you 45 minutes of sliding things around is the puzzle box in the Black Dog Manor section.  Not everyone's cup of tea, I accept

Correct, but my concern was not the puzzle. It was that there are too many one after the other.

, but as I'm sure you noticed, each section of Adventure Island pays tribute to a different genre of adventure game, and in the type of game that Black Dog Manor is a pastiche of, puzzle boxes were very common, often with as many as four or five puzzles one after another!  Just be thankful that I kept it to two.

No, I did not realize that Black Dog Manor is based on any specific genre of game. I'm just glad I didn't play those games. I would have just deleted a game with five sliders after another!

Like a lot of my references, this is a bit cryptic.  Annie is based partly upon Lara Croft, and I deliberately gave her a T-shirt similar to Lara's in style and colour.  Lara Croft has been considered by some people (feminists in particular) as not PC (Politically Correct).  Annie, on the other hand, as a computer game character is definitely PC (Personal Computer)!  Sorry, it's a groan inducing pun, I know.

LOL...thanks for the explanation :)

Cheers

SHADOW

sthomannch

Excellent game and good puzzles! I enjoy it a lot

elentgirl

VERSION 2 of my adventure game, Adventure Island, is now available.  In response to feedback from those of you who have played my game, I have added extra hints for some of the more challenging puzzles, enlarged a number of hotspots, and added a couple of cut scenes to the end section.  This version also fixes all the bugs that have been reported to me.  I have added Version 2 to the AGS games page.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk