Splash screen for AGS Editor

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 27/05/2013 10:17:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitai

My vote goes to Gradient #3.
I agree with Peder Johnsen's comment: such a merge would be terrific!

Clean #2, although very elegant, is too reminiscent of Windows 8, and it's not a good point to me (just imagine current AGS splash screen were WinXP-logo-like shaped...)

mystazsea

I know I am a bit late...

but.. About 2 years ago I talked with Chris about a new logo and made these up for him..at the time he was thinking of remodeling the site to what it became now just prior to dropping out of development.. I ve been a little busy since then so I never got around to sending it to him..
We talked about the logos in email..but yeah life gets busy...
Posting them here just for laughs...

Hope you all enjoy them
its nostalgia for me now..lol

Original Concept

User version
Trousers on then put on shoes...

Gord10

Dark #3
Dark #2

I also loved the Clean ones!
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 08/07/2013 10:06:39
I second this. Until then we also need to get the source .psd file for dark#1 and dark#2. Otherwise it's no better than before - nifty screen but just a flat jpeg in the end.
I'm quite confident I could remake the PSD, if either of those 2 are winners, and still having it look identical.

dactylopus

xil

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Mon 08/07/2013 11:28:56
Clean #2
Gradient #3

I think I'd actually prefer a merge between the two even.. With the background and cup of Gradient #3 and the layout and rest of Clean #2:
Spoiler

I second this (as long as the other author is happy with the merge!). If we go to a 'round 2' of voting, we should perhaps include this merged version I think.

Also, any ideas without a layered file that might win. I'm more than happy creating a layered file replica of the flat image if need be.
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

AnasAbdin

Dropped Monocle Games

Snarky

Clean #2
Gradient #6
Dark #1 (well, I like #2 better in general, except I hate the brown liquid in the cup)

Lemonhead

san.daniele

Dark #2

but I have to say most clean ones look good as well.

valoulef

selmiak

I like

clean #3 (though I#d prefer cup and form around it tilted in the same direction...)
cupshaped #7 (yeah, I like what I did)
dark #1 (dark #2 is also cool, but I really tried to narrow it down ;))

subspark

Hey folks!

Sure has been a while.
I've included the links to my splash screens and icon sources below:

Win/OS X Source:
http://www.shuugouteki.net/paul/Development/AGS/AGS_SplashIcon.zip

Wii Source:
http://www.shuugouteki.net/paul/Development/AGS/AGS_Wii-SplashIcon.zip

PSP XMB Source: You'll need WinRAR to extract this one.
http://www.shuugouteki.net/paul/Development/AGS/AGS_PSP_Source.rar

The latest incarnation of the splash refresh was 3.3 but the PSD includes everything nessecary to update version/build/disclaimer.

I also did one for JJS's Wii Port (Was that you JJS?)

Cheers guys n' gals,
Sparky.

qptain Nemo

The latest versions of AGS aren't of sole authorship of Chris Jones anymore, so the copyright statement at the bottom is incorrect. :V

I really like the way they look though. And that there's coffee inside.

edit: after briefly looking at Artistic License 2.0 again, it does seem like CJ would be the person intended to be named as the copyright holder for the whole project and all its instances. But still it doesn't say that supplied contributions are automatically transfered under the original author's copyright either. And personally I think that the people who invest their efforts into revitalizing AGS deserve a little "et al" / "and others" in the splash screen anyway.

abstauber

Version and Copyright Information are on seperate layers, so it can simply be changed to "(c)2013 Chris Jones and the AGS Community".
I suppose those texts will be created programmatically, so the final result will look a bit different than these.
Also does this mean that dark#1 is toast?

Arcangel

subspark

Abstauber is correct. All textual content is not intended to be static.
I put these together back before Chris had opened up any of his source.

Ideally, anyone updating the editor/engine would update the version/build and disclaimer if necessary.
If there's an autonomous way to push correct infotmation onto the splash as dynamic text, that would be pretty darn neat.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: subspark on Tue 23/07/2013 21:06:10
If there's an autonomous way to push correct infotmation onto the splash as dynamic text, that would be pretty darn neat.
Of course there is, the splash screen is just a normal window that paints graphic on background and creates labels with any text on top. That's how the "funny texts" are printed there.
In the extreme case we could just save every image layer separately and compose them dynamically in the window... (dunno if it would be easy to achieve correct blending this way, but I think it is theoretically possible)

BTW, I missed the voting deadline ;). Time to calculate the votes and chose top 5 (as was suggested) for the final voting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk