Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 27/05/2013 10:17:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Mon 10/06/2013 04:10:39
SPLASH!
Not meant to be serious, of course.
It's better than mine :/

abstauber

To join the discussion, I'm also in favour of a minimalistic splash screen which doesn't distract from the topic. A wacky screen with crazy cup stuff happening, would imho create the impression that AGS is incapable of doing anything right. AGS might not be an enterprise tool, but you can create great competitive software with it.
This might also be a bad excuse that I can't come up with anything entertaining ;)

Stupot

I agree that simple is better, but extreme minimalism, like the 'metro' one, is maybe a bit too 'windows 8' for me.  I know that's all the vogue these days, and it does look quite professional, but I don't mind having something to look at either. I really love your 'neon' one. Really nice to look at and a great take on the cup idea without being at all cheesy or wacky.

kaput

IMO abstauber's first one is the cleanest and has a good balance of simplicity. The second one is pretty nice too - if not a little busy? It's got the blue cup and shows the editor, though. It's also very calming. The metro one is far too Windows 8. The neon night sky one puts me off a bit, even if it is a nice design.

So if I had to choose, it would be the first one :)

selmiak

some more

Flat cup
Spoiler

[close]

grande cup
Spoiler

[close]

grande cup with round handle
Spoiler

[close]

Ghost

selmiak, I think the first one (flat cup) is very good; only the background is a bit too busy. I don't like how the variants deal with the text placement, but the first one really is well done. Maybe a simple gradient fill for the "flat cup"?

selmiak

I like it big and bold, so I followed this, but I like to take pointers, so here is the flat cup with a more visible gradient (the others have subtle gradients too) and a round handle as I like this handle more...

not sure about the drop shadow, so here without it:

the drop shadow seems to make to gradient stand out more, at least it seems like this to me on my monitor settings ;)

Crimson Wizard

I actually liked the last "grande cup with round handle" with clear (non-pixelated) tiles on background. I think it gives a feeling of movement (being dynamic).
Perhaps you could even make a variant with more varied coloring (rainbow range) to make it even more cheerful.

selmiak

just playing around... imagine a refreshing 'hmmmmmmmmmm...aaaaaahhh' sound at the end of the loading :D

Stupot

Haha, nice once Selmiak.
I also prefer you flat cup, but I do like the pixels in the second one with a background.

Here's another attempt.

Mine come out looking more like cheap business cards, but who cares.

selmiak

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 10/06/2013 20:08:52
I actually liked the last "grande cup with round handle" with clear (non-pixelated) tiles on background. I think it gives a feeling of movement (being dynamic).
Perhaps you could even make a variant with more varied coloring (rainbow range) to make it even more cheerful.

I think you mean this one...

looks interesting but a bit too colorful for my tastes...

I also figured the basic form of the pixels should have been different before distoring them to have them in perspective but still in a square form after distorting... needs some more fixing... or you write a short code snipped to animate these 3d pixels growing behind the splashscreen while loading :D
with more squareform of perspective distorted pixels

Crimson Wizard

No, I meant the last one, with clear tiles. Also, maybe lesser color diversion to make it look smoother (less saturation?).

Or, nevermind. ;)

selmiak

last version for today:

CW special edition:
Spoiler
[close]

abstauber

Hehe, that cup evolves a lot :) The latest version looks great!

Thanks to Monsieur Ouxx' module thread, I stumbled across this nice splash from Subspark and Ryan.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: abstauber on Tue 11/06/2013 09:25:45
Thanks to Monsieur Ouxx' module thread, I stumbled across this nice splash from Subspark and Ryan.

I was just about to post it! Did you infer it was by subspark just by reading "sub" in the cropped picture ?
The thread is here, and you have many images :
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=42573.0

abstauber

QuoteI was just about to post it! Did you infer it was by subspark just by reading "sub" in the cropped picture ?
yep - participating in the game guessing thread finally paid off :)

Arcangel

Using old GIMP Tutorial
Created on Feb 06, 2009

selmiak

flashy and nice, especially the cup. I guess the cup is free to use as a ressource? I should also try a darker design...

I really like the color scheme on your neon night sky abstauber, though the cup form could be improved. the metro cups look better to me. Why not add some galaxies from freely available nasa photos into the background?
the first metro is a very clean design, but also gets boring real quick. Meh, the whole metro stuff doesn't do it for me...
for metro reloaded the two distortions in different directions are too much imho. either keep the cup or the border undistorted and with parallel lines. Without seeing it, my gut feeling tells me the cup in normal on a distorted border looks better than distorted cup on normal bg border... Or have cup and border on one layer and distort both simultaneously in the same direction. The rays could be even brighter imho or maybe have some bigger rays with more opacity and bigger gaps between them over the rays already there.

abstauber

Thanks for the feedback  ;-D - this competition feels almost like a workshop. Maybe I'll improve those splashes later on... or I might give this whole app-look a go.

Anyway, I made a little special edition myself

Spoiler
[close]
please don't ban me  :=

Ryan Timothy B

Honestly, I had forgotten all about this. I'm actually really digging this the most now (perhaps I'm slightly biased (nod)).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk