Splash screen for AGS Editor

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 27/05/2013 10:17:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Moderator gave me permission to start this :).

Winner is declared
It is this splash by abstauber:

Summary
We don't have an original splash graphic, I mean the one in layered format, only flattened bitmap, and it makes it difficult to make any changes to the text, such as version number.
We need either current image recreated with layers, or a totally new one, if anyone would like to try.

The current bitmap can be found in the Editor sources, e.g.:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/Editor/AGS.Editor/Resources/splash.bmp
Also, the original 3.2 bitmap:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/psopo5xrqdsa74p/splash.bmp

Requirements and Restrictions:
1. Layered image of well-supported format, which would allow to change separate parts of image when needed (most importantly text and version numbers): Adobe Photoshop doc, Paint.NET doc, etc.
The flattened image format does not really matter ATM, because having layered one we may convert it to whatever format we need. Here you may display it as BMP or PNG.
2. Choose reasonable size for a splash. Keep in mind that some people may have low display resolutions (like around 1280x720), so don't go extreme. Original is 400x250 which is nice, I guess that 640x400 is a top limit.
3. Any color depth, transparency is allowed.
4. Content requirements:
- Blue Cup!
- Title should be "Adventure Game Studio".
- Should have version number. The number of digits may vary with design, X.Y is minimum, but you may leave space for three digits and more (for tags like "Alpha", "Beta", "RC" etc).
- Be creative, think of the ways to mark special releases (like Beta) by changing color of some shape or dedicated part of image.

Please post the splash with any version number as an example.

Deadline.
July 2013.
I think we could use this for next big release (like 3.4), but it is not yet known when that will happen.

The new splash will be chosen by public voting.

san.daniele

I will give it a try.
I think the idea of having something like a contest for this has great benefits, but I see some potential problems with this.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 27/05/2013 10:17:15
Deadline.
July 2013, but may be extended.

for 90% of people (myself included) this is an invitation to just forget it, after they told themselves "oh, with all this time I can think about this later on."

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: san.daniele on Tue 28/05/2013 08:40:38
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 27/05/2013 10:17:15
Deadline.
July 2013, but may be extended.

for 90% of people (myself included) this is an invitation to just forget it, after they told themselves "oh, with all this time I can think about this later on."
Fixed. :)

abstauber

Is it okay to submit more than splash per person yay :)

Here's a first version to get this started

Now with a more serious approach (which can be shrinked to 640x400 of course)

Metro AGS

Neon night sky

Metro reloaded

AGS App

tried out a tutorial and didn't change much

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 29/05/2013 12:15:24
Is it okay to submit more than splash per person?
I guess it is. Having a good splash screen is higher priority.

abstauber

Another quick question: do you really need a rectangular bmp? Transparency support would be pretty cool though.

cat

I already thought about making a cup-shaped pic  :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 31/05/2013 09:08:28
Another quick question: do you really need a rectangular bmp? Transparency support would be pretty cool though.
Quote from: cat on Fri 31/05/2013 09:32:18
I already thought about making a cup-shaped pic  :)

Yes, that is possible. I made a quick test with random-shaped PNG before and it worked well, except for one weird thing... no matter what I tried it displayed a 1px black border around splash window. Probably I need to look deeper into how .NET windows work.

abstauber

alright, thanks for the info. Though currently I'm unable to think outside the box :)

selmiak

[imgzoom]http://selmiak.bplaced.net/stuff/bbcup.png[/imgzoom]
I'm not so happy with the outcome as
1) my painted cup looked crap and I don't have a blue cup so this one is colored in PS
2) the teabag looks crappy

I wouldn't mind if someone builds on this idea an builds a bluecup in 3d with the teabag somehow coming in closer to the viewer or so...

Crimson Wizard

This is becoming interesting. :)

Ryan Timothy B

I'm absolutely loving Abs's metro splash screen.

Ghost

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 09/06/2013 02:49:15

I second that praise. It's clean, minimalistic and appealing, and it looks as if it would never "get out of style", too. It's clearly the potential Fonz of AGS splash screens!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 09/06/2013 14:30:16
Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 09/06/2013 02:49:15
I second that praise. It's clean, minimalistic and appealing, and it looks as if it would never "get out of style", too. It's clearly the potential Fonz of AGS splash screens!
For same reason I don't like it, because it looks too "serious" for amateur game editor :). Just my humble opinion.

Ghost

Well, okay, but do we want a splash screen that intentionally shouts "AMATEUR!*"?  :-D Personally I'd prefer a simple design over a whimsical one. They are fun and great to look at (think about Radiant's "Cuppit") but that wears off. But I'm sure there'll be more entries here, and I am confident that there'll be one that pleases everyone  (nod)

__
* I really think of AGS much higher. It powers several successful, commercial games, a huge number of amazing freeware, and at least three long-running series. That's not amateur.

Dropped Monocle Games

I love the first one by abstauber! look fantastic.. I may give this ago!

Stupot

This is my first entry :-D

Jokes aside, would it be possible to insert randomly generated images or screenshots in the same way that the current splash inserts those random taglines?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 09/06/2013 20:00:22
Jokes aside, would it be possible to insert randomly generated images or screenshots in the same way that the current splash inserts those random taglines?
Yes, that's possible. The splash is not a constant object, it's a .NET window, meaning it may be constructed and programmed as wanted.

Stupot

Oh cool.  Such a feature would probably be a bit overkill anyway, but interesting to know it would work.
Here's an alternative:

I lack that professional touch to be a serious contender, but this is a good excuse for some much-needed Photoshop practice.

Gilbert

SPLASH!

Not meant to be serious, of course.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk