>>Monstrous Workshop results, WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Started by Andail, Tue 28/05/2013 07:38:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Quote from: waheela on Wed 29/05/2013 02:51:48
Hey Andail, weren't there two other categories we were going to be voting on as well?

-Most helpful to other users
-Most improved piece

I have people in mind for each category. :)

Oh, I totally forgot.
So, let's just do the voting "manually" in here. Please nominate one person in each of the category quoted above. And I might be a bit dogmatic here, but I kind of think that having performed the "give at least one piece of c&c to everyone"-routine is a prerequisite to earning a most-helpful-nomination.

My vote for best process is Ben, because I think his collage of references set the standard early on. His final piece also stayed close to the sketches and ideas shown there.

My vote for most helpfulness would be Kasander. This one was rather tough, but I think I've noticed Kasander spending the most time advicing others.

PS:
By the way, are people ok with closing the voting earlier? I don't know why I picked one week as a deadline, but it does seem unnecessarily long. I think most people that intend to vote have done so. So if nobody objects, I'm closing voting tomorrow (Friday) around noon.

miguel

I'm okay with the new voting closure deadline.
Most help- misj', it was very tough to decide on this one;
Most improved- Cerno
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Andail

Btw, I feel a bit uncertain about this, but what's your opinion when it comes to viewing the results? My only concern is that some people that may end up with 0 votes might feel a bit uncomfortable. An alternative is that I just declare 1st, 2nd and 3rd position. I ordinarily teach teenagers, so maybe I'm unnecessarily cautious here, but you never know.

Misj'

I think each of the finished pieces deserves a lot of credit. Everyone has already shown that they can handle and value criticism. However...do we really need a winner or voting in general? - I would rather see this turn in some sort of quarterly event that is (often) based on something that's happening in the C&C (like ProgZ's ogre in this case).

Creamy

I agree with Misj'
The creative process/constructive feedback was interesting, but we don't have to play "american idol" on every topic.

dactylopus

I'd love to see the top 3, actually.

As for the additional categories, I'd like to vote waheela for most helpful and cat for best process.

I might have voted for others, but I assumed this should only include those who participated in and finished the workshop.

waheela

Wait, I'm a little confused...

Are we voting for "best process" or "most improved piece throughout the workshop"?

dactylopus

Either way, I'll stick with my votes.

miguel

Top 3 sounds fine for me.
And competition is good for all of us who participate. Goals are good, to want to win is good as well.
One of us will get the most votes and that's only normal. If I don't get any vote I'll take it as a man! With chocolate and depressing 80's alternative music.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

cat

Most helpful: I got great advice from many people and I tried to incorporate it as well as possible. But the most helpful was Ben's psd. So I vote for ThreeOhFour.

Best process: This was a very close one between waheela and Cerno. I'll go with Cerno here.

Cerno

Between dactylopus and selmiak, I think I'll have to go for selmiak in terms of progress.

When it comes to helpfulness, I am not sure, because everybody gave their best to help out.

Misj' posted these great overviews in the first week and was very helpful to everyone.
304 would be a personal candidate because I learned so much from his sketches and remarks, especially pen choice and lighting
I also remember loominous and waheela giving me lengthy and helpful advice. Loominous also gave some invaluable hints on color and lighting and introduced (me at least) to the thumbnail technique.

In the end I'll have to give my vote to Kasander though due to his constant encouragement and those awesome mock-ups, which I fear I wasn't able to fully realize, but which were very helpful nonetheless.
123  Currently working on: Sibun - Shadow of the Septemplicon

Kasander

Helpfulness...  Oh dear. If only Misj' hadn't dropped out so soon, I'd probably vote for him. He put a quite a lot of effort in drawing those sketches, examples, diagrams etc. But I liked waheela's advices and helpful references as well, and she stayed till the end :) I honestly can't decide on this. Half point each?;)

Most improved piece - that would be Cerno for me. With Selmiak a close second :) But I have to say, again, everyone deserves a pat in the back/award for sticking with his monster through the whole workshop.

EDIT:

As far as the 'AGS' next idol contest' goes I'm with Miguel on that one. Especially on chewing the chocolate while listening to depressing 80's music bit (laugh)
Nah, I don't care about the results really. It was fun and I was glad to help and learn from others.

PS:

Miguel also had a good idea about having another workshop, like character portrait-oriented one. I'd certainly like to take part in that. Or an sprite animation workshop, that would be cool too.

ThreeOhFour

My vote for most improved goes to Selmiak!

Most helpful is a real hard one - in particular Misj', loominous, Ilyich, Andail and Kasander gave many interesting explanations about various ideas. Quite hard to say who helped me the most personally, but I'd say Misj's direction with the creature's expression was the one that changed my pic for the best, so my vote goes to him.

As with miguel and Kasander, I'd very much enjoy a portrait workshop. Please consider this for a future activity.

waheela

Most helpful:  Really hard for me to decide, since I got a lot of good feedback from people like Cerno, cat and Kasander. This is tough, but I'm going to go with Misj' for this one, even though he dropped out halfway through.

Most improved pieceCerno and Selmiak! Half a point each! (Kasander did it, so I can too. :))

Best process:  I'm going with ThreeOhFour on this.

dactylopus

I would have voted for Misj' and loominous, but decided to stick with people who made it through the workshop.

It's been a lot of fun working with you guys, and I really learned a lot about art and my own capabilities.

Andail

Alright, let's wrap this off. I know it's a bit early, but I have some time over and the results probably won't change at this point. I'm considering not publishing the results as it's not really necessary to see who got 0 votes and stuff like that, but if people demand to see the figures I can absolutely show them.

So, without further ado, here are the winners:

1st place:
Hollow shell monster by Mordalles. Congratulations, Mordalles, you're the winner of this Illustration Workshop, hurray :)

2nd place:
Snakearms in the tunnel by Kasander.

3rd place:
Summoned spiky monster by Ben and Hole-headed tree monster by SookieSock in a tie.

Well done everyone!

ThreeOhFour

Aw nice, I voted for Mordy, awesome piece! Congrats! :D

Ghost

Congratulations to everyone; some amazing artwork in here. Even though I passed out early I still watched and learned a lot  (nod) I'm looking forward to another round.

Andail

selmiak

yay congrats to every participant and mordalles especially :)
I voted for you too ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk