MAGS June: "Old, New, Borrowed, Blue" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Sat 01/06/2013 16:44:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Old, New, Borrowed, Blue'

This month's guidelines were set by Ghost:

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" - create a game that, just like a proper wedding, has these four things as plot-significant elements (not just a throwaway hotspot). No further specifications; "old" could be anything from an old car to leftover food to a really old crusty pirate, and so on. No genre restrictions or special themes either, it's just about including four things that match the saying.

Ending 30th June

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This month's winner was Witchy Woo by Myinah and Soxbrooker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

MiteWiseacreLives!

I'm two days into something... should fit rules fine.

awakening

Might enter this if I find time... I've got an idea :)

UPDATE: I'm all in! :D

Grundislav

I'm in.  I was starting work on a small game anyway, and didn't have a real story or anything yet, so some guidelines will help out tremendously!

Ghost

I am thrilled! That's the first time I seem to have hit the spot  ;-D

Myinah

Is it against the rules for two people to work on one project? My friend and I work on our games together, he's the artist, I'm the writer and we both code. Could one of us submit a game we both worked on? We just want to be completely sure we aren't breaking the rules as we are quite new to the AGS community.

Atelier

Quote from: Myinah on Mon 03/06/2013 15:36:20
Is it against the rules for two people to work on one project?

Nope! It's happened many times before :)

I'm glad to see there's already a lot of interest!

Dropped Monocle Games

We are throwing our witches hat into the ring!
Myinah and I have come up with our story and game idea, and here is a teaser.

now to make it in under a month, wish us luck.... no really, wish us luck!

awakening

Quote from: Myinah on Mon 03/06/2013 15:36:20
Is it against the rules for two people to work on one project? My friend and I work on our games together, he's the artist, I'm the writer and we both code. Could one of us submit a game we both worked on? We just want to be completely sure we aren't breaking the rules as we are quite new to the AGS community.

I hope not, as I've already gathered my musician and puzzle designer! hehe :)

MiteWiseacreLives!

This is getting heated! Woohoo, gotta get a game face on. No, wait, I mean, uhhh, my game is junk I'm not trying at all.
My wife will prob kill me by the end of this month. So if you don't hear from me in a while....

Radiant

Ghost

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 04/06/2013 17:33:26
"Something blue" just has to be a cup.

That was one idea. And your cup *rocks* with helpful usefulness!  (nod)

I am really glad to see the interest. I picked a very vague theme hoping that more people would take on the challenge, and still have a good guideline.

As I read in awakening's Recruit thread he seems to combine the requirements; that is an option too (could someone even manage to make ONE old, new, borrowed and blue thing- that would be hilarious!).

And Soxbrooker: That picture is awesome! Can't wait to see the game!

Vernay

Can't say mine will be anything but a train wreck (I've barely looked at AGS before this week), but I definitely want to try this. Probably should have started this earlier, but you know, details.

Dropped Monocle Games

hey, I wanted to give everyone a little preview of what we have done, so here is a screenshot!
we are so proud so far and having a GREAT time taking part in this MAGS :) can't wait to see what others have to offer!
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/Bdabc8p.png[/imgzoom]

MiteWiseacreLives!

I had better fire up my OCD and get on it so I have a decent screenshot to post. Looks like Soxbrooker is going for a win, looks really nice :)

awakening

Looks damn good!
Better start working on this even harder now haha :)

Myinah

Just wanna say how super proud I am of Sox. He's the artist and I'm the writer. He has worked so hard, churning out artwork like a pencil wielding machine! It has been an amazing experience so far for us to take part in MAGS, and it's really helped us learn a lot for the full length titles we have in the pipeline.

I am really looking forward to seeing the other entries and most importantly playing them! :) ;-D

BrutalSlakt

I have an idea for this one. Hopefully I'll manage to turn that into a game. ^^

DBoyWheeler

Er, it may be many years before I take part in a MAGS myself, but I'd be willing to help in the story design and proofreading of others' MAGS projects.

Monsieur OUXX

I was thinking of something that could be a brilliant game concept, if properly handled :
Basing the game on "Dorian Gray's portrait".

By essence, it's something old, and something new. Also the theme definitely makes you blue. And the painting definitely borrows something from Dorian Gray (and vice versa).
The entire game would be a close-up on the portrait (I suppose one could scroll up/down/left right over the picture). The puzzles would be interactions with bits of the picture: his face, his clothes, background elements, etc. It would be very atmospheric, slightly scary. As puzzles get resolved, the portrait gets older or younger -- as in the book, life gets stolen from Dorian Gray. Some elements would change in the picture. It would end up with death or some sort of cursing.

The whole idea would be to make the presence of the character in the portrait totally fascinating. And to make you feel the old, and the new, and the borrowed, and the blue. Through his looks. Or the voice-over of a narrator.

Oh, and before you ask: no, I'm not doing it. Nobody ain't time for dat shit. Just sharing the fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk