Stroumf's Spree on the Game Database

Started by DoorKnobHandle, Sun 09/06/2013 20:56:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

[edit] Made invalid by Snarky ;)

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: springthoughts on Mon 10/06/2013 07:56:09
I realise that not knowing me causes you to doubt my intentions. I am prepared to turn inactive and return only with new games, not through comments. I would not hold it against you.
My apologies, springthoughts. I don't have access to view people's IPs and was only trying to help uncover this troll issue.

You are in fact *not* a troll, you don't need to turn inactive. Simply ignore my attempts at solving a case. (laugh)
My only question though, is why do your comments have a manual return after only several words? It makes your comments take up quite a bit of vertical space in the game's page.

Eg:
QuoteThe game is based on a very fresh,
very interesting idea. Do yourself
a favor and read the manual because
it leads you into the game's world
through a very elaborate story. [..]
vs
QuoteThe game is based on a very fresh, very interesting idea. Do yourself a favor and read the manual because it leads you into the game's world through a very elaborate story. [..]
Where that took up 5 lines instead of 1.

st.

I was a bit lazy with those comments. I wrote them in a file first without having calculated the maximum length of a row in the Comments Input Field. I wanted to avoid having to rearrange my comment after being copy-pasted. That happened to me a few times before.

I did not intend to hide other people' comments from sight. Thank you for helping me see this issue. I will redesign all those wrong-format-comments.
springthoughts

Stroumph

I'm still in shock after reading all the comments... spying on an IP just because i commented at last some of the games i have been playing. I don't need attention and i don't need all of this...
I've been downloading for a long time on several locations, playing on hospital beds fighting pain and death.
Some of the downloadmanagers aren't safe. Take it or leave it. It would be a great idea to add an downloadmanager within ags. Hatecomments ????, looking for attention ???.
I wish all the best to you all... creating good stuff, if it's random crap, i should be free to speak out " my opinion", even they are short and hard.
I wont be back, i don't need all of this.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Stroumph on Mon 10/06/2013 10:27:35
I wish all the best to you all... creating good stuff, if it's random crap, i should be free to speak out " my opinion", even they are short and hard.
Yes, but what does "This game is crap!! Avoid this!!" teach the person who made the game? If you're going to spend the moment to comment then be constructive. For example: "I found this game too hard. I felt the timing was too short to beat a level. The controls were too finicky. Graphics were a little bland. As it is, I don't recommend this game."

Both are basically saying the same thing, but one is a warm pile of shit on a person's feelings while the other is helping them understand why their games didn't receive well with you. That way they can improve and make a better game - or others reading your comments can learn from it as well if they're making a similar game.

Just imagine if you spent weeks/months/years making a game and posted it on here. Waiting excitedly for your first comment, then you suddenly get: "Screw this game!! I hated it!! NEVER PLAY IT!!"
You not only got punched in the gut, you didn't learn anything from this person's hatred towards your game.

Calin Leafshade

It's not the job of the player to educate the game maker. If the player thought the game sucked then they should be free to say so in however many or few words they wish.

I do not support having multiple accounts (unless there is a reason for this) but i fully support Stroumph's right to be as vocal and brief as he likes in a public forum.

Ryan Timothy B

I was only trying to teach him a life lesson. If you want society to turn into a bunch of Youtube comments, then enjoy it as much as you like, Calin.

st.

We are all looking for attention here, one way or the other. Its something that keeps people together in society.
I'm not having a pretty life. There are a lot of limitations. But being here isn't just about being critical. Being among decent, mature people with similar interests is a part of my attempt to improve the quality of my life. I base my negative comments on my view of what is right and wrong and I'm working on not attacking other's aesthetic sense. It should be each man's decision the way he expresses himself - and his responsibility. Personality can be changed - but it takes an honest effort from you and coping with the pressure from your ego. These being said, I will not redraw my observations.
I apologize for sharing personal information. I replied to defend my independent point of view.
springthoughts

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Mon 10/06/2013 10:47:05
I was only trying to teach him a life lesson. If you want society to turn into a bunch of Youtube comments, then enjoy it as much as you like, Calin.

Better to educate society to ignore such ill-thought critique rather than attempt to eradicate its inception.

Snarky

Stroumf and aliases were (temporarily!) banned not for posting negative comments, but for keeping multiple accounts and using them to pretend to be multiple people, as well as for a series of questionable posts under false (inconsistent) pretenses.

This dishonest behavior put the integrity of the game reviews into serious question, which is why the most scathing of them were deleted.

As members who've been around a while know, we examine IP addresses when we find suspicious behavior; in this case, it wasn't even the games reviews that tipped us off.

We are, obviously, not going to punish people for posting critical reviews, though if someone just posts a constant stream of negativity, they might be contacted to suggest how it could be made more constructive.

cat

I was looking in the registration quiz and FAQ for a rule against multiple accounts but couldn't find it. Maybe this should be part of the registration quiz or FAQ? I know that in almost all boards it is frowned upon having multiple accounts, but I guess it still should be stated somewhere.

AGA

The registration quiz should really be completely rewritten.  I did modify it a bit when I updated the forums a while ago, but it's still not that accurate or appropriate.  I'll look to at least add something about multiple accounts.

Autobahn

In answer to all of this: AGS blocked the complete TELENET ip port; what means that all users of the TELENET network can't register or log in,
in belgium all telenet users have by far the same ip, once in a while they will get an ip that has been used by someoneelse.
You have nearly the same problem with Belgacom... other providers in belgium like base; mobistar, blgacom-proximus are even worse.
Ags hates commenting on games, they won't accept bad critics, i went over ALL critics and believe me that your all shooting the worng person.
If he sais : don't play this, that's up to him. If this user doens't want to use his private email to register that's up to him, never heard about spam theser day's.
You all took this way to far. We complained about not having comments on played games, now we get some, not all of his critics were bad or evil.
You should have read his complete story before blocking and deleting, really this is not done.
Mature ? Honest ? No way.

Snarky

You're obviously Stroumf under another new account, so why even bother pretending otherwise?

The reasons for the ban have been explained to you repeatedly; had you just waited it out it would have been expired soon enough, but as long as you try to evade it that's not going to happen. Let me be clear: You are banned. Do not re-register, do not post, certainly do not crosspost the same thing in different threads. Any further accounts will be summarily blocked, any further game comments or forum posts summarily deleted.

As for the IP block, it's easy to see from the logs who's affected, and no, we're not blocking swathes of Belgian posters.

selmiak

I'm still in shock after reading all the comments... spying on an IP just because i commented at last some of the games i have been playing. I don't need attention and i don't need all of this...
I've been downloading for a long time on several locations, playing on hospital beds fighting pain and death.
I lol'd already when reading this, after the further revelations in this thread it makes it even more funny and a bit sad...

I wont be back, i don't need all of this.
then leave...

frenzykitty

Good bye and good riddance. There's so much ugliness everywhere else on the internet, we should do what we can to keep unnecessary nastiness out of our AGS forums... This has always been a place for creatives and constructive criticism. If someone feels the need to post unnecessary nastiness, go to YouTube.

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Snarky

Thanks. I've deleted the comment. While I agree with AGA that warning people about possible viruses is a good thing, I see no reason to preserve incorrect information about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk