OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

kaput

I can only speak for myself here, but I'm sure others would agree that having to do it all in one week (graphics/scripting/sourcing sound etc) is the fun and exciting part of all this? As far as I'm concerned it's the whole point in taking part. If someone can't do graphics, just get someone in on the project who can etc etc.

It's probably for the best that we give folks the benefit of the doubt that they'll take this 'seriously' and follow the rules anyway.

But, yeah... Really looking forward to this :)

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

dactylopus

Very exciting!

Will there be a theme beyond One Room?  Not that there needs to be, just wondering.

Is this on an individual basis, or can I work with a partner?  I'll likely participate either way, but thought this was a worthy question, as I would really like to work with an artist.

Excluding RON and OSD simply means we can't use those previously existing resources, right?  I assume we're still free to make a RON or OSD game if we choose, as long as all materials are created during that week?

I'll probably join in.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

Ponch

Quote from: dactylopus on Tue 11/06/2013 05:40:52
I assume we're still free to make a RON or OSD game if we choose, as long as all materials are created during that week?
I like the way you think! :cheesy:

cat

Ok, changed the rule:
QuoteEntries must not use any premade content except published AGS templates, modules and plugins.

@dactylopus:

No, there is no theme.
In previous OROW competitions people have been working together on a game. This is ok, but I want to limit it to two persons per game.

frenzykitty

Id like to think my post had something to do with us having another OROW. Im in :-)

Armageddon

Question. What if I made a game that took place in one room. But jumped to different points and time and the room looks a little different?

WHAM

Hells, it's just one week. How hard can it be?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Miez

Quote from: Armageddon on Tue 11/06/2013 10:35:36
Question. What if I made a game that took place in one room. But jumped to different points and time and the room looks a little different?

I would assume that's ok? (it's an idea I've been toying with)

dactylopus

Quote from: Miez on Tue 11/06/2013 10:53:20
Quote from: Armageddon on Tue 11/06/2013 10:35:36

I would assume that's ok? (it's an idea I've been toying with)
I was just watching some Back To The Future videos on the YouTube, thinking the same thing.

cat

Of course time travel is ok.
Try this game for inspiration: Alien Time Zone  :)

tzachs

Quote from: cat on Tue 11/06/2013 07:56:34
Ok, changed the rule:
QuoteEntries must not use any premade content except published AGS templates, modules and plugins.

It looks like I'm the minority on this one, but I do see the value of allowing public domain content. I mean, what is the goal of the competition? As I see it, have fun, create games, and maybe learn something new.
Allowing public domain will help to have more games, and allow people to concentrate on certain parts of game design, so I'm all for it.

Armageddon

I'd really like to do some major scripting ideas before the contest, because I'm not very good and don't know how long it would take. :P

Ghost

No matter what I said anytimes or anywhere on the net, I am in.

tzachs, I read that as "AGS resources"? Pretty much how MAGS allows the usage of use freeware music, but by default insists that the actual game content (sprites, backgrounds) are to be created for the game during the time of the competition. Sound effects, reference sprites and stock images would be allowed, but not a huge framework of scripting already made for another WiP.
Someone correct me if I am wrong  :-[

Vince Twelve

Ooh, I was going to do the Molyjam that weekend, but this is better! (Though, I may only have time to work on the weekend anyways, so maybe my game can be both? :))

waheela

My programming skills are lower than newbie status, so I probably won't enter, but I'm really looking forward to playing everyone's game though and voting! Woo! ;-D

cat

Quote from: Armageddon on Tue 11/06/2013 23:52:58
I'd really like to do some major scripting ideas before the contest, because I'm not very good and don't know how long it would take. :P
No, no production before the start of OROW! You can use already finished and published modules if you want.

So what should we do about the public domain resources? I don't want people to make RoN or OSD games from existing material but create something new, also graphics. However, using public domain sounds and music seems to be a good idea. Opinions?

Armageddon

Sounds fine to me, I don't want to see anymore OSD games. :=

Adeel

Quote from: cat on Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51
Anonymous submission
An important aspect in this competition is the anonymity. This means that you cannot share any information about your entry. Nor can your game contain your name. This is because the game should be voted on by its own merits. Please also not include your name in the game info, as this can be seen in the file info.

You submit the game by sending me a link via PM. I will then upload it to another site.

Well, that does sounds fair but I have one question regarding this issue:

What if, the game author can be recognized by the style he uses (or have used before) to draw the pixel art?

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 12/06/2013 13:38:08
What if, the game author can be recognized by the style he uses (or have used before) to draw the pixel art?
Like when Ponch releases an OROW game. His style is so unique and familiar that it's known to everyone who's game it is. We all try our best to not vote his games because of this.  (laugh)  (joking)

But yes, you'll always have that one style you can immediately tell who's it is. There's unfortunately nothing you can do about that though - unless you chose a different style just for the OROW competition. :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk