OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Quote from: cat on Wed 12/06/2013 08:35:00
However, using public domain sounds and music seems to be a good idea. Opinions?

It has been said already that the fun of making a game should not be sacrified to super-complex rules, and I second that, but I think the MAGS rules are a pretty good template for this:

- The bulk of an AGS game is scripting and graphics, and that's what the game author should be able to create (and create especially for the game, meaning during the actual event). So just by stating that the game (script) and the graphics must be made during the event results in a playable (silent) game that was made during one week.

- Sound and music are hard to create yourself without the proper skill and equipment and they add to a game but aren't required. So allowing the use of freeware/pd resources sounds fair and good to me. I wouldn't even care if anyone uses resources previously downloaded; there is no way to check that anyways, and where is the harm, we are ALL on the internet and a few minutes of patient googling will get you everything.

- The same should go for stock images/reference material. If someone has no idea how something looks/could be drawn, using references/stock photos should be okay.

On a side note, I LIKE how OROW was announced early AND allowing to think about/plan the game before the actual work starts. Makes it easier to announce interest and also gives some time to bounce ideas around. Much less crual than the 24 Hour Comic, where you put the pen to the paper without any planning and then start your 24 hours of drawing and energy drink abuse.

cat

Ok, what about this: You can use material from the internet like graphics, music and sounds, but have to credit it in-game, even if it was public domain. This way people know what was made by the author and can cast their votes accordingly.

Miez

Adeel

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Wed 12/06/2013 15:42:18
Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 12/06/2013 13:38:08
What if, the game author can be recognized by the style he uses (or have used before) to draw the pixel art?
Like when Ponch releases an OROW game. His style is so unique and familiar that it's known to everyone who's game it is. We all try our best to not vote his games because of this.  (laugh)  (joking)

But yes, you'll always have that one style you can immediately tell who's it is. There's unfortunately nothing you can do about that though - unless you chose a different style just for the OROW competition. :P

That's why I am still wondering why can't we include our name in the game info? What is your opinion, cat?

selmiak

Quote from: cat on Wed 12/06/2013 16:53:43
You can use material from the internet like graphics, music and sounds, but have to credit it in-game, even if it was public domain.
So you can use guybrush from some spritesheets found on the net if you give credit?

Ryan Timothy B

QuoteThat's why I am still wondering why can't we include our name in the game info?
It's only during voting. Afterwards if you want to add it to the games database you can upload a version with the credits. It's just to prevent popularity from swaying votes. It'll also make everyone really curious who made a certain game until voting is done.

I honestly love the anonymity that comes with OROW.

tzachs

Ok, what about this: You can use material from the internet like graphics, music and sounds, but have to credit it in-game, even if it was public domain. This way people know what was made by the author and can cast their votes accordingly.
Sounds good to me..

Ghost

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 12/06/2013 17:52:50
You can use material from the internet like graphics, music and sounds, but have to credit it in-game, even if it was public domain.
So you can use guybrush from some spritesheets found on the net if you give credit?

I think I see your point- Grabbing a premade, high quality, fully animated sprite will safe time and look good. But who'd do so? Very few people here rip sprites, and a rip WILL be spotted- I doubt that anyone would be very impressed.

Bulbapuck

Turns out I have a chess tournament that very week, so is it okay to make something the week before and submit it? Or is that not in the spirit of things?

Radiant

Given the huge amount of free graphics available throughout the internet, I'm not a fan of this rule. "New game" means "new game", it doesn't mean you get to recycle any and all free or public domain stuff you can find. Music is a different matter.

Stupot

This is about trying to make a playable game in one week. The fact that you're only being asked to make a small one-room game is less of a limitation and more of a boon.  12ROW would be a different matter.  So, everything else should be done how you would normally do it, and if you would normally make your own assets, then you should try to do that here.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: cat on Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51
    -Entries must not use any premade content except published AGS templates, modules and plugins.

Shame, that rules me out. I've been developing certain scripts for more than a year now (animation, simple physics, interface) and I don't intend to leave them be and start everything from scratch.

That doesn't mean I don't see the sense of this rule.

Ryan Timothy B

Ascovel, it says EXCEPT for templates, modules, plugins. You're in the clear.  ;)

Phemar

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Thu 13/06/2013 00:31:35
Ascovel, it says EXCEPT for templates, modules, plugins. You're in the clear.  ;)

Published templates, modules and plugins!

It would be great if we could use modules and snippets of code that we've written but never published.

Igor Hardy

But those are my own, unpublished scripts. Although some are based on published modules of others.

EDIT: Yeah, what Phemar said.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Phemar on Thu 13/06/2013 00:40:58
I read that 3 times and still didn't catch that. I'm a douche. ;)

Ponch

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Wed 12/06/2013 15:42:18
Like when Ponch releases an OROW game. His style is so unique and familiar that it's known to everyone who's game it is. We all try our best to not vote his games because of this.  (laugh)
Thank you, Ryan.  :P

dactylopus

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 12/06/2013 17:52:50
As long as it is in the public domain, but I'm not sure the original sprite sheet is.
Quote from: Radiant on Wed 12/06/2013 23:19:06
Given the huge amount of free graphics available throughout the internet, I'm not a fan of this rule. "New game" means "new game", it doesn't mean you get to recycle any and all free or public domain stuff you can find. Music is a different matter.
I disagree that music is a different matter, personally, but that may be because I make music.

Isn't this really about making the game?  It's the writing and the coding that will really make the game.  I would put music and graphics on equal footing, below the importance of coding.  You can make a silent game just as you can make a game made out of squares, the music and graphics are extras.

I will aim to create everything from scratch (either myself or with a partner), so this issue likely won't impact me.  I feel that public domain graphics and sound should either both be allowed, or neither should be allowed.  Actually, if we are allowed to work with a partner, perhaps the public domain materials become unnecessary?

frenzykitty

Bulbapuck -  I think making it a week before would be fine. As long as you only worked on it for one week, I don't see why it should be a problem?

I have an idea, but it features 2 rooms (kinda), (Basically a room, and then the outside window ledge of that room) - would that be fine?

I think if the game has to be more that one room, it shouldn't be basis for disqualification - only creating more work for oneself I suppose :)

cat

Quote from: Phemar on Thu 13/06/2013 00:40:58
I definitely want to stick to that. If you made stuff before that is not published you have an unfair advantage over other participants.

However, there are two weeks left, you can still publish your modules so everyone can use them during OROW.

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Wed 12/06/2013 18:41:36
Turns out I have a chess tournament that very week, so is it okay to make something the week before and submit it? Or is that not in the spirit of things?
I know we did this for hour game, but I'm not sure this is in the spirit of OROW. I'd rather do another hourgame later next month just for you :) But if other people don't have concerns, it would be fine for me.

Quote from: frenzykitty on Thu 13/06/2013 08:21:32
I have an idea, but it features 2 rooms (kinda), (Basically a room, and then the outside window ledge of that room) - would that be fine?
Yeah, that would be fine. The rule is not very strict.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk