OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Quote from: Ascovel on Thu 13/06/2013 00:44:29
But those are my own, unpublished scripts. Although some are based on published modules of others.
So publish them :)

Igor Hardy

Don't tempt me. :) It would take weeks to clean up that mess for publishing. And I'm not even sure how to describe what it does.

squame

I wanna be in! ... i'm installing now for 1st time AGS. so i've got 2 weeks for learning and hopefully be able to be in the OROW...

SinSin

I MIGHT ...be in.  Depends on wedding planning etc.
Currently working on a project!

Joseph DiPerla

One Room? I am going to do this. For Once in my life, I will make an AGS Game. I already am thinking of puzzles and a small story. For my own satisfaction, I have to do this.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

cat

Ok, should we go with the "all previously published stuff is allowed"? This would include graphics, music, sounds, code modules... I also want to limit this to public domain, creative commons and similar licenses and it should not violate any copyrights. So no Guybrush ;)

Andail

Good initiative, Cat :) I'm tempted to participate with a really tiny game, just to get away from TSP for a while.

Quote from: cat on Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

*) This means a room in real-life definition, not an AGS room.

Surely you mean the other way around? One AGS room in the technical sense, but it can be a large outdoor scene, or a scrolling maze or whatever, as long as it's just one room file? Close-ups are handled with GUIs, right? Or am I wrong?

I don't really see why we should be able to use pre-made material - or stuff made by others - since that takes away the entire purpose of OROW. With too lenient rules, this activity will be reduced to merely an official deadline for releasing the game, instead of the time period allowed for creating it. But well, I won't object.

Armageddon

No, one room in real life sense, you can have multiple angles. I think it has to be inside a place, outdoor field wouldn't work, but a maze of corridors would be fine maybe, but then if you zoom into a room or hall in the corridor that might be a room so I have no idea uhgggh.

I'm certainly going to use more than one camera angle in my room.

cat

No, I mean real life sense, like Armageddon pointed out. Outdoor scenes should be allowed as well, just keep it in one location. Please use your common sense when you decide what counts as "One room".

Any more comments about the use of pre-made material?

Adeel

Quote from: cat on Thu 13/06/2013 08:25:35
Quote from: Phemar on Thu 13/06/2013 00:40:58
Published templates, modules and plugins!
I definitely want to stick to that. If you made stuff before that is not published you have an unfair advantage over other participants.

However, there are two weeks left, you can still publish your modules so everyone can use them during OROW.

Cat, you answered yourself once. I think that we should make scripts, graphics in one week (because that's what a game is all about). As there are many who don't know how to make music (like me) or there are also some who know how to make music but don't have equipments. So, we should let everyone use music that is available for free. But then I have also read out a post here which says that graphics aren't really a part of game and one can even make a game out of square boxes. Hence free graphics should be allowed.

This is really becoming confusing. The only solution I can think of is as under (edit it as you see fit):

1) You'll have to write your own script from the scratch or you can use only those templates and modules that are published here, at the forums.

2) You may use only those graphics that are published for free, here at the forums (to avoid unfair advantage).

3) Likewise, you may only use that music which is published for free, here at the forums.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As far as I know, the forums have a great deal of content published for free use. I only kept the "forum only" restriction because Internet is much vast and one can find superb graphics and music to make an excellent game but that would be unfair advantage to other contestants because the content one particular person may use would be literally hidden from the others. On the other hand, content published here at the forums is literally in front of everyone and anyone may use it. 

dactylopus

Quote from: Adeel S. AhmedI think that we should make scripts, graphics in one week (because that's what a game is all about). As there are many who don't know how to make music (like me) or there are also some who know how to make music but don't have equipments. So, we should let everyone use music that is available for free. But then I have also read out a post here which says that graphics aren't really a part of game and one can even make a game out of square boxes. Hence free graphics should be allowed.

This is really becoming confusing. The only solution I can think of is as under (edit it as you see fit):

1) You'll have to write your own script from the scratch or you can use only those templates and modules that are published here, at the forums.

2) You may use only those graphics that are published for free, here at the forums (to avoid unfair advantage).

3) Likewise, you may only use that music which is published for free, here at the forums.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As far as I know, the forums have a great deal of content published for free use. I only kept the "forum only" restriction because Internet is much vast and one can find superb graphics and music to make an excellent game but that would be unfair advantage to other contestants because the content one particular person may use would be literally hidden from the others. On the other hand, content published here at the forums is literally in front of everyone and anyone may use it.
I agree.  I have seen some content on the site, made my first few projects with them, and I'm sure there are more I haven't seen.  I encourage anyone to post any links to free graphics or music that have been published here.

Bulbapuck

Quote from: cat on Thu 13/06/2013 08:25:35
Quote from: Bulbapuck on Wed 12/06/2013 18:41:36
Turns out I have a chess tournament that very week, so is it okay to make something the week before and submit it? Or is that not in the spirit of things?
I know we did this for hour game, but I'm not sure this is in the spirit of OROW. I'd rather do another hourgame later next month just for you :) But if other people don't have concerns, it would be fine for me.
I'm always up for hourgames, but they ain't no OROW :)
No concerns have been raised (in fact, no discussion has been made at all really) so is it okay to start tomorrow? I have an idea so I'll do it in any case but it would be nice to know if I was competing.

Ghost

Quote from: cat on Sun 23/06/2013 10:23:16

Just to sum up and reinforce what has been said already, I think this is a fair way of seeing things:

- Since this makes the bulk of the game: Write your own scripts.
- Since they make the visuals of the game: Make your own graphics.

From now on, you have a personal game.

Since sometimes you can't figure out something or don't have the time to write a full SCUMM: Use templates and modules from the forums as you see fit.
Since sometimes you don't know how to draw something: Browse the webs for reference material.
Since few people are talented musicians and/or don't have the equipment: Use music and sound effects from public domain / freeware sites.

(nod)

kaput

This^

Hope something can be agreed pretty soon, getting a bit silly in here  :P

Miez

Frankly I don't think the rules should be discussed at all: Cat is organising this OROW, she's calling the shots. If something is unclear: ask. If you don't like the rules: there's many other activities to enjoy. :)

dactylopus

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 23/06/2013 14:22:02
Quote from: cat on Sun 23/06/2013 10:23:16

Just to sum up and reinforce what has been said already, I think this is a fair way of seeing things:

- Since this makes the bulk of the game: Write your own scripts.
- Since they make the visuals of the game: Make your own graphics.

From now on, you have a personal game.

Since sometimes you can't figure out something or don't have the time to write a full SCUMM: Use templates and modules from the forums as you see fit.
Since sometimes you don't know how to draw something: Browse the webs for reference material.
Since few people are talented musicians and/or don't have the equipment: Use music and sound effects from public domain / freeware sites.

(nod)
I maintain my disagreement that music is somehow less important than graphics.

I would say that since few people are talented artists: Use freeware graphics.
OR
I would say that since this creates the atmosphere and mood of the game: Make your own music.

Ghost

Quote from: dactylopus on Sun 23/06/2013 19:10:08
I maintain my disagreement that music is somehow less important than graphics.

I never said that. I never said anywhere that music is less IMPORTANT than graphics. This has never been said by me.
I have said that fewer people are able to create their own, original music than there are people who are able to create their own, personal graphics.
This has indeed been said by me.

[edit]

Quoteand they add to a game but aren't required

Here, I see how this can be misread, but I find it strange you did so. I spoke in terms of functionality and under that aspect a graphics adventure game clearly needs graphics to be functional, while sound and music can be taken away- in the same way as voice acting can be replaced by text on screen. I didn't mean to make music look inferior.

cat

Ok, since there is going to be a sound/music category as every year, I'll stick with the current rules. So only original material except for published modules and templates.

Adeel

Quote from: cat on Sun 23/06/2013 20:39:04
Ok, since there is going to be a sound/music category as every year, I'll stick with the current rules. So only original material except for published modules and templates.

But then, that would mean my game will be silent. No music, no sound effects at all. (wtf)

cat

Sing something for us! Or take a look at this game for music and sound effects http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1166/ (it was even nominated for best sound and music!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk