OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph DiPerla

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 27/06/2013 00:30:15
Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Thu 27/06/2013 00:01:50
Too bad we cant have a w(eekly)ags competition...
What about a 'Fortnightly AGS'? :D

I thought that was a writing competition. Never really checked it out, but thats what I thought it was.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Ghost

Quote from: Andail on Wed 26/06/2013 17:16:33
Yeah, why not a theme, really? That would probably reduce the risk of people using premade material, or starting prematurely.

Announcing this early and explicitely allowing to make plans was a great gesture; now paddling back and implying that there "will be cheating anyway" makes me a bit sad.
In fact, lots of sad.

Andail

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 27/06/2013 17:24:35
Quote from: Andail on Wed 26/06/2013 17:16:33
Yeah, why not a theme, really? That would probably reduce the risk of people using premade material, or starting prematurely.

Announcing this early and explicitely allowing to make plans was a great gesture; now paddling back and implying that there "will be cheating anyway" makes me a bit sad.
In fact, lots of sad.

We don't have to be so melodramatic; some people are going to cheat, it's a fact of life. The question is how much they're cheating, and whether it's a big deal, and that's not necessarily the case.

I personally don't mind if this is just another "Release something" activity, without strict rules or criteria, but then I don't think it should be a competition, with a winner. We can't compare one designer who's done everything himself, within the time limit, with one who's used every cc-licensed resource they can get their grubby hands on, as well as material that's been lying around on their harddrive for years.

dactylopus

And don't forget, the rules say you can team up with another person for this OROW.

straydogstrut

I'm surprised that this seems to be such an issue.

I haven't entered something like this for a long time so feel free to shout me down, but I perhaps naively assumed that making a game in a week meant making almost everything from scratch.

I say *almost*  everything because I expected royalty free audio would be allowed (and necessary for the likes of me), however I realise that's contradictory and I'm not going to be precious about it. I've blown my own sound effects into a microphone before..

Either way, I thought the point of these things was to make a game in the short time demanded, regardless of how the assets are acquired.

I plan to roll my own (and risk causing blindness to players) but I have no problem submitting an entry alongside someone who uses royalty free assets - the 'winner' in my mind is everyone who completes a game they feel proud of, and a game is more than a collection of assets.

I have no issue with a theme if some find this helpful. I will shoehorn my idea in either way.

Whatever the decision - and cat already made one anyway - I'll stand by it. No-one is forced to enter after all.

Ghost

I really do not want to derail this (again  :-\ ), but I wanted to say I didn't want to make a "melodramatic" post up there.

It's just that to me, it now looks like:

a) Let's start a competion, for fun.
b) Let's announce it early and allow people to plan/brainstorm/form a team, so that they have more time to actually make their game once the event starts.
c) Then, shortly before the event starts, let's set a theme so that there is less cheating.

And that lsat bit just sounds wrong to me. We never HAD much cheating here. It's usually all for the fun and I really like that spirit. If I came over wrong, then that was unintentional.
I just wanted to put that right  (nod)

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 27/06/2013 19:41:10
We never HAD much cheating here. It's usually all for the fun and I really like that spirit. If I came over wrong, then that was unintentional.
I agree completely. Also, someone please post the theme today so I can get a head start on this game over the weekend, okay? :=

Adeel

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 27/06/2013 19:41:10
b) Let's announce it early and allow people to plan/brainstorm/form a team, so that they have more time to actually make their game once the event starts.
c) Then, shortly before the event starts, let's set a theme so that there is less cheating.

And that last bit just sounds wrong to me. We never HAD much cheating here. It's usually all for the fun and I really like that spirit. If I came over wrong, then that was unintentional.
I just wanted to put that right  (nod)

Completely agree with Ghost on this bit. This competition is not going to reward any money and for fun basis only. So, it would be unlikely someone is going to cheat.

Secondly, call me melodramatic or anything, but since there was no theme set. I had already brainstormed/planned the game in my head and formed a team with Handsfree. Therefore, It would be very rude if a theme is set now.

EDIT: Thanks Bulbapuck, you just highlighted my error. Means a lot to me. Thanks again.
EDIT 2: Corrected little grammar this time :D

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Thu 27/06/2013 22:54:00
    Secondly, call me melodramatic or anything, but since there was no theme set. I had already brainstormed/planned the game in my head and had already formed a team with Handsfree. Therefore, It would be very rude if a theme is set now.

I agree with this. I don't think OROW has ever had a theme and it's never been a problem before. I think we should just stick with that. Besides, it's just a fun forum activity, I don't think people will cheat.

EDIT: @Adeel S. Ahmed fixed it :D

Crimson Wizard

All you have to do is ask couple of simple questions:
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 26/06/2013 10:54:48
I want to clarify, is the OROW theme-based competition, or one is free to choose the topic/concept?
How will the jury make sure that nothing premade was used?

I now feel like a troll :D.

dactylopus

I support the idea of a theme, if only so that nobody gets a head start.  I will be happy either way.

Andail

I didn't really mean hardcore cheating, as in creating sockpuppets to vote for your own contribution (although, of course, that has happened in the past too, for something as trivial as a colouring ball) I meant just some lightweight cheating as in, oh, I have this background I made some months ago that noone's seen, I guess there's no harm in using it.

But it seems most people don't want a theme, since that would prevent them from using the ideas they've already come up with (even though the OROW hasn't even started yet), and much less any other restrictions, so I'll just be quiet from now on :)

Radiant

Okay, I'm fine with having no theme, but could you please post a suggestion then for people who haven't started brainstorming yet? Following the suggestion, or not, would be entirely optional. As you may remember from Infinite Monkeys, I like making games out of crazy suggestions :)

Miez

frenzykitty

Reloaded my new laptop with Windows, AGS and Paint.NET

I'm F%$king ready :D

Tabata

cat

For this OROW there will be no topic. But it might be an interesting idea for next OROW. The next organiser should keep that in mind.

Only a few more days!

Adeel

Quote from: cat on Fri 28/06/2013 17:36:46
For this OROW there will be no topic. But it might be an interesting idea for next OROW. The next organiser should keep that in mind.

+1 for that. I were thinking the same.

Radiant

Quote from: Miez on Fri 28/06/2013 10:48:18
http://videogamena.me/ ?
Excellent.

Shall we have the Medieval Polka Massacre, or the Bizarre Baking Ultra (bakesale ahoy!), or will we be attacked by Italian Nudist Rangers? :D

Adeel

One more question to ask (it may sound silly). Many people here have different timezones. So, are they allowed to start and finish it according to their timezones? Or would all of them have to start according to Greenwich Time Zone? Considering, some timezones are much behind GMT while some are much forward than GMT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk