OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Radiant

Wow, that's a very impressive lineup! Congrats to all on completing your game, you've done the adventure gaming equivalent of Nanowrimo!

I think it'd be fun if there was an informal poll option where people can guess, individually, who made which game (while keeping that out of this thread here until after the voting of course). Some people have a telling style, and some people may want to guess that :) Is that a silly question?

WHAM

Played all of 'em, finished most of 'em. Got stuck in a couple, got bored of a couple more. All in all a very cool contest lineup. Hells, before today I thought I was a strong competitor, but now that I see the whole lineup I feel far less confident... Can't wait to vote!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Adeel

Quote from: tzachs on Mon 08/07/2013 06:37:38
Wow Adeeel, now that's dedication!
Unlike you I managed to sleep almost a full 6 hours.. Managed to squeeze in a game with some 20 minutes to spare, which I believe is better than the last time, so I guess I improved my time management skills.
I did have to skip on some unimportant tasks, like playtesting.. Oh well..

Since this was my first game so it was almost certain that it would take more time than I had thought. Unfortunately, I had to skip the dedicated beta-testing too.

Was sad to hear about all the people that dropped out, but am excited to play all the games that did come out. Go OROW!

Same here. I was shocked more to see dactylopus going out. Because his spirit was high.

@Cat: May you please upload the games as separate zips along with the game pack? Because currently I am using very limited data plan (financial reasons) and therefore I can't afford to download the games above 80 MB.

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 08/07/2013 08:26:55
I think it'd be fun if there was an informal poll option where people can guess, individually, who made which game (while keeping that out of this thread here until after the voting of course). Some people have a telling style, and some people may want to guess that :) Is that a silly question?

At least, not to me. It may be fun. We can start such thread in Rumpus Room (because its wild guessing) or Adventure Related (because they are adventure games). The final decision's up to the cat and the moderators, of course.

kaput

So many entries! Time to brew some coffee and play  :smiley:

Ghost

Now that is quite a bundle of games; congratulations! Gotta play them all!

Since I didn't manage to finish mine (and, sadly, decided to base the whole gameplay on a bit of a music gag), here's a screenshot of a drop-out  (laugh)

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/uoDUIPL.png[/imgzoom]

In case you didn't get the pun:
Spoiler
Shepherd chasing a rogue spectre across the Milky Way
[close]

cat

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Mon 08/07/2013 13:52:08
@Cat: May you please upload the games as separate zips along with the game pack? Because currently I am using very limited data plan (financial reasons) and therefore I can't afford to download the games above 80 MB.
I can't do this today, I'm afraid, but I think the whole bundle is only slightly more than 80MB.

At least, not to me. It may be fun. We can start such thread in Rumpus Room (because its wild guessing) or Adventure Related (because they are adventure games). The final decision's up to the cat and the moderators, of course.
Yes, I think Rumpus Room would be the place to do this. Please keep this thread free from speculations.

If someone wants to write anything detailed about any of the games here in this thread, please use spoiler tags.

AGA

There, poll.

I made the poll last for one week, but I can change that to whatever you want, cat.

dactylopus

Was sad to hear about all the people that dropped out, but am excited to play all the games that did come out. Go OROW!

Same here. I was shocked more to see dactylopus going out. Because his spirit was high.
Yes, I'm truly disappointed that I had to drop out.  Unfortunately, there were health and work related issues, but that's just an excuse.  I essentially planned a game that was too ambitious for my abilities and scheduling.  Don't worry, I will finish it one day.

I've downloaded the games and I'm looking forward to delving into the action!

cat

AGA, I think we need to vote in 5 different categories (BEST GAME, GRAPHICS, CONCEPT/WRITING, SOUND/MUSIC DESIGN, PROGRAMMING/CODING), is this possible?

Khris

Here's a download mirror: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uk5yhyalh5h07m3/ODOW8.exe
(sfx 7zip, 67MB, all games sorted into folders, and the game without a winsetup now has a setup.bat.)

AGA

So one vote for one game in each category?  That's not really possible by default, but I'll look into options.

Vince Twelve

Congrats to everyone who participated!  OROW is an awesome chance to just get something done.  I wound up not submitting my 48 hour Molyjam game because it broke the anonymity rules.  I had been Tweeting and Vining about it all weekend, and had to post it to the Molyjam site.

I'm really looking forward to playing these games this week and voting!

Khris

I created a form in Google docs.
It allows selecting one game in each category, that should be enough, right?
If you guys give me the go ahead, I'll post the link.

Adeel

Quote from: cat on Mon 08/07/2013 14:01:00
I can't do this today, I'm afraid, but I think the whole bundle is only slightly more than 80MB.

Unfortunately, can't afford anywhere above or near 80 MB >:(. The data plan I like to use is currently not available so I have to workout with this one  (wrong).

If you or anyone out there (who has downloaded the bundle) uploads each game separately to a hosting site. I'll be grateful to you/them.

EDIT: Khris, go ahead and post the link so that people would see what the form contains. If enough people like it then it may be used officially.

@dactylopus: I can understand. I also had set plans too ambitious. Most of the ideas were dropped due to the lack of time. With how much difficulty I completed the game, only I know it.

Khris

I'd rather wait till I hear back. The advantage of a forum poll is that people definitely can't vote more than once, for example.

Like somebody mentioned earlier, to use the forum's poll system we'd have to create five threads, right?

Peder 🚀

I'm currently setting something up on AGSA (I need to create a similar voting system anyway!).
If you decide to use it or not is totally up to you :).

Is it so that anyone can vote on 1 game per category?

cat

Ideally, we would have the thing AGA set up earlier but just 5 times in a row. So you can rate every game in each of the 5 categories with a number.

Maybe we should really do like Andail suggested and make 5 polls like the one AGA did?
Quote from: Andail on Sun 07/07/2013 19:49:45
I could just start five polls here in this very forum. Sure it means a lot of polls, but it's for a limited time. Maybe it'll feel better to have everything forum-based instead of external services that people will have to click on links to find.
This way every member of the forum could vote once and only once without the need to register somewhere else.

Would this be ok for the moderators?

xil

The simple machines website lists a modification called Additional Polls, which looks perfect for what you want: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1586
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Andail

I'm unsure whether AGA's currently sorting out a multi-poll thread solution or not. If nothing has happened by tomorrow morning, I'll simply start five separate polls here on the activity board.

It's probably only for the better if people have to think/play some more before casting their votes!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk