OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Khris

Is it possible though to check for errors in the selections? What if one accidentally (or deliberately) gave two games a 5 point rating in the same category...? Do those votes get excluded? Is it even useful to force people to create a top five in every category?

cat

No, as far as I understood AGA's poll was about rating each game for its merits independently. If you thought two games had fantastic graphics, both could get 5 points for example.

Peder 🚀

-

Ubel

I think having the possibility to give each game a 5 point rating in each category is overcomplicating it. People often use those systems stupidly and give 5 points to games they like and 1 point to the rest (exaggaration, I know, but you get the point). We just want to figure out which game is the best in each category. So having people select their favourite for each category is enough. Simple and efficient and it will attract a lot more voters! I see absolutely no need for an additional scoring system. In the spirit of OROW, keep it simple! :)

I'll definitely post my opinions on each game later. So far I'm thoroughly enjoying most of them. :) Great job you crazy creative people!

EDIT: Peder's voting page seems perfect!

xil

Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

LimpingFish

Wow! Lots of entries! ;-D

Playing through them now.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Radiant

Quote from: Pablo on Mon 08/07/2013 22:35:52So having people select their favourite for each category is enough.
I disagree with that. With so many participants, I would like to at least pick a top three or best five or something. Otherwise you're just going to end up with lots of games with 1-2 votes each and no clear answer.

dactylopus

I'd like the ability to rate each game in each category.

Khris

Peder's page is good, but the default selection should be "Choose a game" or something like that, not one of the entries (since it creates bias, as absurd as that sounds. Science! ;))

I was thinking maybe picking a best and runner up in each category? Five seems too much, and dactylopus, are you suggesting the ability to rate 75 combinations of games and category individually?

xil

Quote from: dactylopus on Mon 08/07/2013 23:19:02
I'd like the ability to rate each game in each category.

That approach to me sounds great if you are someone very interested in the OROW. But, for the average gamer, to have to put that much thought/time into playing the games, and then voting (requiring 75 selections of scores - beat me to it Khris!), seems a little bit of overkill and could potentially put people off voting all together.

Also I don't like the idea of negative voting for what is essentially a competition. In a competition, the winners should win and the losers should know they need to do more next time, not, the winners scored 5's across the board and you got 0 for everything etc, this isn't the games database.

Upon reflection, I do agree that simply giving one vote per category is not the best idea. So a top 3 might be the best approach? However, surely that would require a custom voting system like Peder created, but changed to allow 3 dropdowns per category. That's up to Peder if he wants to change it though.
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Ubel

I second the idea about selecting the top two/three games in each category. It's a good compromise.

AGA

If you people can wait until early - mid tomorrow, I can probably whip something up using forum logins.

Armageddon

One Dungeon One Week is amazing. Is that some sort of Dungeon Crawler module? Girl and Rabbit is the funniest thing I've played in awhile. I got stuck on Betrayal after getting the pendant. The Reaper and The Rebirth having connections is pretty cool too.

Are we allowed to talk about the games?

dactylopus

I guess I hadn't considered it would be 75.  I just remember participating in the voting for the Ludum Dare game jam, and ratings were on a 1-5 scale in each category.

I do see the point, however, that most people are not likely to take the time to rate all 15 of the games in this way.

I'd support choosing the top 3 games in each category.

cat

Quote from: Armageddon on Tue 09/07/2013 01:39:28
Are we allowed to talk about the games?

Yes, but please use spoiler tags so people who haven't played the games yet don't read it accidentally.

AGA

Voting page.  You don't have to vote for more than one game if you don't want, but there's the option of up to three votes per category.  One vote per forums user.

Problem

Just wanted to say that I'm totally imprwessed by the quality of these entries. (nod) It's amazing what everyone has achieved in just one week. Some of those games could easily have been MAGS winners. It will be very hard to vote.

Adeel

First of all, I want to say thanks to cat and Peder Johnsen+ for their help. Secondly, I want to ask a question. Since there are two Voting Mechanisms developed. Which one should be used or will be considered "official"?

AGA

The one on the AGS site!

I don't mind either way really, but this one seems to fit more users' preferences.

Radiant

When is the voting deadline? I will need some time to play everything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk