OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasca

Great games, and great competion!
Love the games, but I can't get OWOD, MI och Tattooroom working on my laptop, because of the resolution. Anyway to work around this?

Ubel

Quote from: Lasca on Tue 09/07/2013 10:10:12
Love the games, but I can't get OWOD, MI och Tattooroom working on my laptop, because of the resolution. Anyway to work around this?

Try changing the Graphics filter in winsetup.exe to a supported resolution or turning it off completely.

cat

Awesome AGA, thanks a lot!  :)

Please be fair and do not vote for your own game!

Radiant

Since the voting system keeps track of forum names, perhaps you could just filter them out :)

AGA

Easier said than done at this stage, given only cat knows who made which game!  cat, if you could draw up a list of the user IDs of everyone involved in each game's design though, that would be useful when it comes to results time.

Calin Leafshade

What's wrong with voting for one's own game? (I say this impartially as i have not entered)

Political candidates vote for themselves and if people are not allowed to vote for themselves then it potentially gives an unjust vote to someone else who they voted for because they could not vote for themselves.

Just food for thought.

Khris

Exactly, it would be a different thing if the authors were only voting amongst themselves. But seeing as a lot of people are voting, and the votes will be heavily biased anyway, I don't see why people shouldn't vote for their own game (if they think the vote is justified or course).
(I voted as objectively as possible, but may have done something awkward :-D)

cat

Because then some people will be honest and vote vote for the games that they think deserve it most and others will be the usual assholes and only vote for their games in all categories.

Stupot

I would feel dirty voting for myself anyway.

Anyway.  I've only had time to play a couple of entries so far, but they were both really good.
just to be sure, when is the deadline for voting? I want to do a proper little review for each entry if I have time.

WHAM

Quote from: cat on Tue 09/07/2013 13:42:11
Because then some people will be honest and vote vote for the games that they think deserve it most and others will be the usual assholes and only vote for their games in all categories.

Harsh way to say it, but I agree. If the developer has so little faith in his/her own creation that they feel the need to vote for themselves, then the developer is in the wrong.
With things like political elections the gesture is a bit different, as there are millions of voters, so voting for yourself is more of a gesture and has little effect. I am guessing OROW will have less than a hundred voters, so even a single vote CAN change the game and has a far higher likelihood of doing so.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Adeel

[...] others will be the usual assholes and only vote for their games in all categories.

I second cat's opinion. This would be similar to asking your friends to vote for your game. Moreover, if a person votes his game for top position in all the categories, it would affect the results greatly.

UPDATE: Wham said it all.

Radiant

I will take the optimistic view and suggest that most community members here wouldn't act like that.
Spoiler
(but if it's assholes you're scared of, you should probably disallow voting for any account created after the contest started, and you should find a way to stop people from asking their friends to vote)
[close]

But anyway. I'm curious whether it matters if I vote, within a single category, for games A-B-C in that order, or in C-B-A order? I think it probably shouldn't matter because that'd lead to unnecessarily complexity, but it's up to the organization of course.

Khris

Accusing a majority of the people who participated in this OROW of being unfair, egotistical assholes is kind of questionable I guess...?

And voting for your own game doesn't have to be because you are having little faith in it and are desperately trying to push it. That, again, assumes malice, and I find this way of thinking pretty cynical and sad.
If you genuinely think that your game was the best in one category, why not vote appropriately? If we don't allow that, we have to exclude all the developers from voting, because otherwise it WILL skew the vote.

But if we don't, it should be pretty obvious anyway if somebody just chose their own game in every category, right? I say rather than using iron clad rules, use common sense when looking at the detailed results, and strip away what's obviously fraudulent before releasing them.

Calin Leafshade

Entrants should either be able to vote freely or be barred from voting entirely surely?

Anything else just skews the vote.

AJA

Has this been a problem previously? Everyone's been free to vote for whatever game they please and not many, if any, people have had a problem with that. Then again, we haven't had much variety in the winner for the past four or so OROWs. :P But preventing people from voting altogether is definitely not the way to go, since that's part of the fun.

OROW is not about winning, I see the competition format merely as an incentive to get people to join in on the fun. OROW is about getting fun little games made and then giving the creators feedback both in the form of votes and, more importantly, comments. It's as much a playground for testing ideas as it is for going crazy with concepts that would never work in a longer game. That's how I see it anyway. And that's why I keep asking for a rating based voting system, but I'm okay with the top-3 or top-5 idea that's been thrown around. That's much more preferable to a choose-your-favorite voting system.

Haven't had time to play any of them yet but today or tomorrow I shall begin my sacred task!

Adeel

Quote from: Khris on Tue 09/07/2013 14:30:52
[..] use common sense when looking at the detailed results, and strip away what's obviously fraudulent before releasing them.

Its easier said than done. Besides, there is no way you can tell the game got many votes because of merit or fraud votes were involved.

Surely, you can check all the new accounts created in between the voting time, comparing the i.p and all such to sort out the "games with fraudulent votes". But that would mean an exhaustive job, not to mention: Annoying.

Ryan Timothy B

Have you got something to hide, Adeel?  (laugh)

Great work everyone. I'll start playing the games real shortly to give my votes and comments. When is the voting deadline?

Adeel

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Tue 09/07/2013 16:50:02
Have you got something to hide, Adeel?  (laugh)

Nah! I am pretty sure already I am not going to win.  I'll just wait for a miracle. Therefore I am not going to take "all the trouble" of creating fake i.ds to vote for my game! :D :P

Peder 🚀

If anyone else also rather download each game separately for any reason you can do so here: http://new.agsarchives.com/orow.html

Khris

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Tue 09/07/2013 16:28:51Its easier said than done. Besides, there is no way you can tell the game got many votes because of merit or fraud votes were involved. [...]
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But I'm only talking about AGA finding that somebody has voted for a particular game in every category and no other game, something like that. Clear evidence of misconduct, in other words.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk