OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

xil

Personally, I'm not going to vote for my own game as I don't think it's in the spirit of things, but I have absolutely no problem with people voting however they want.

At the end of the day no one is winning a large monetary prize etc and I'd say most, if not all, of the games were made more-so for the personal accomplishment, rather than a desperation to win? So it really doesn't matter too much. If someone wants to check for an obvious 'mark their own game top for every category', then go for it.
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

frosch

Hello Peter (#278),

four of the archives (the-butler-didnt-do-it.zip - sinking.zip - one-dungeon-one-week.zip - educating-adventures-of-girl-and-rabbit.zip) on the mentioned site have a size of 0 KB.

cat

So, one of the major things of OROW is trust. I trust that noone did start earlier than the deadline, didn't use stuff that was not allowed or use unfair means. I politely asked that noone should vote for their own game and I trust that noone will.
AGA made a great voting system that we should all use (I will not, because I know who made which game)

Now we should stop arguing and focus on these amazing games! I played more than half of them now and they were all great and unique. I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the games.

ThreeOhFour

Stupot

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 09/07/2013 09:49:24When is the voting deadline? I will need some time to play everything.
Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 09/07/2013 13:56:21just to be sure, when is the deadline for voting?
Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Tue 09/07/2013 16:50:02When is the voting deadline?
It seems that one has to be debating or arguing about something in order to get one's posts noticed, these days.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: frosch on Tue 09/07/2013 21:12:47

Hello Peter (#278),

four of the archives (the-butler-didnt-do-it.zip - sinking.zip - one-dungeon-one-week.zip - educating-adventures-of-girl-and-rabbit.zip) on the mentioned site have a size of 0 KB.

Thanks for this info! I put them up as zips, when they really are rars. All fixed now! :)

Mati256

Just tested the first 14 games. Will leave the last one for tomorrow because now is too late.
I just want to say that all the games are great and its great that this competition has so many entires.
Some of the games betray their creators and it's pretty obvious who designed them.  (laugh)
My Blog! (En Español)

AGA

The voting information is stored in such a way we could award points (say 3, 2 or 1) to each game, depending on whether or not it's a user's first, second or third choice in a category.  That would be a simple, and (I think) effective way of doing it.  Having stripped out any self voting shenanigans of course.

Voting doesn't currently have a deadline, since no one seems to have suggested one.

cat

Ah, yes, I'd suggest to close voting on Sunday afternoon or early evening. AGA or I would then post the final results and reveal the authors. The thread should then stay open for another week, so people can write comments for the games.

Would this be ok for you, AGA?

Radiant

Quote from: AGA on Wed 10/07/2013 08:12:27
The voting information is stored in such a way we could award points (say 3, 2 or 1) to each game, depending on whether or not it's a user's first, second or third choice in a category.
I would suggest against that. Just give everything a weight of one and count which gets the most votes in a category - because I don't think it's fair that being first-out-of-fifteen is considered three times as valuable as third-out-of-fifteen, it makes the latter vote too unimportant.

Khris

A weight of one is as bad; if fifty people chose the same winner and runner-up, this wouldn't get reflected in any way in the vote, although they all thought that one game was better than the other.
I'd use 1.2, 1 and 0.8 or something like that.

Edit after AGA's post:
I'd pull them farther apart, otherwise 15 times 2nd place is as good as 14 times 1st place. How about 1, 0.75 and 0.5?

AGA

1.00, 0.93, 0.86 would be 1; (1 - 1/15); (1 - (2 * 1/15)).  That would seem fair?

dactylopus

Not sure about the voting, but I just finished preliminary plays through all of the entries.

Really good stuff!  I'm going to have to come back to a few of them.  I was really enjoying them!

kaput

Re voting - it sounds like you guys are talking about something like this?

http://www.slideshare.net/myddelton/the-alternative-vote-system-in-practice

You have to click through the slideshow for the whole example.

frosch

Hi,
where is the archway to exit
Spoiler
on the WIN! page
[close]
of Draconis? Or is it's missing a bug?
Spoiler
There are still 80 gems to collect.
[close]

Radiant

Quote from: frosch on Wed 10/07/2013 17:39:59
where is the archway to exit
Spoiler
on the WIN! page
[close]
of Draconis?
I think that is a victory screen, just like how I think the "reality" quote in Betrayal is a victory screen :)

dactylopus

These games are a lot of fun.

Some of them are quite... unsettling.

Good work, everyone!  I'm playing through some of them again while I decide how to score.

AGA

Quote from: cat on Wed 10/07/2013 08:39:09
Ah, yes, I'd suggest to close voting on Sunday afternoon or early evening. AGA or I would then post the final results and reveal the authors. The thread should then stay open for another week, so people can write comments for the games.

Would this be ok for you, AGA?

Sorry, completely missed this post until now.  There have only been 20 votes so far.  The trouble is that, giving people only two days' notice (if I were to change the banner announcement to give a deadline of Sunday) might not give people enough time to play all the games and vote, if they may have thought they had longer.  Perhaps a deadline of next the end of Wednesday might be better?

cat

Does anyone need more time to play the games and vote?

I'm just afraid that keeping this open longer might stretch it too much and people lose interest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk